tint stains!!!!!!!!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxxsashaxxx

Reaction score
Hi everyone just a quick question may sister is a hairdresser and gets very badly tint stained nails iv tried everything to get rid of them soaking them in nail varnish remover and acetone ect... so is there anything you can recommend ANYONE please all i can do at the moment is covering them in dark nail varnish and she doesn't relay like dark colors :cry:

gloves !!! or you can buff the top layer off ( only on enhancements !!!)

Last edited:
Scrub with exfoliant to get it off the skin. Bleach somtimes works, or buff the nail. She should not be getting tint on her hands at all. Every pro colour tech I know would regard it as a badge of shame!! Gloves are the way to go.

Lemon juice & Baking soda (or was it bicarbonate of soda!!!!)mixed to a paste.

Scrub with exfoliant to get it off the skin. Bleach somtimes works, or buff the nail. She should not be getting tint on her hands at all. Every pro colour tech I know would regard it as a badge of shame!! Gloves are the way to go.

actually she a fantastic colorist and a fantastic hairdresser and works hard at what she does so what if she has got tint on her hands i see it as a sign of hard work for you information:mad:
and some people should think before they type

From a professional point of view, Health and safety guidlines published by the H&S executive, plus all the guidelines written by the colour manufactuers STATE CLEARLY that gloves should be worn when using the product.

I never said she was not a good hairdresser, nor did I say she doesnt work hard.

If she reads the instructions that come with the product, it will say quite clearly that protective clothing should be worn, and H&S guidelines followed.

Maybe if she doesnt like to wear gloves she should wear a clear varnish or strengthener and barrier cream.Prevention is better than cure.
It surely cannot be good for her skin to be in constant contact with the chemicals, shes at risk of developing contact dermatitis which is a right bugger if you are a hairdresser.

Maybe if she doesnt like to wear gloves she should wear a clear varnish or strengthener and barrier cream.Prevention is better than cure.
It surely cannot be good for her skin to be in constant contact with the chemicals, shes at risk of developing contact dermatitis which is a right bugger if you are a hairdresser.

Correct.

Well im not a hairdresser but i know someone who acually eventually suffered so badly with her hands she gave up hairdressing and did office work her hands were so dry she would bend them and her knuckles cracked open and bled.I know its probably an extreme example but does show what damage can be caused and unlike beauty therapists hairdressers are immersed in chemicals and water most of the day every day they need to be so careful.

I have seen many people have to give up hairdressing due to developing serious allergy problems. Hair colour is a known allergen, and should not be in regular prolonged contact with the skin. As a colour tech myself, I would never risk my livelihood by ignoring H&S advice.

Well im not a hairdresser but i know someone who acually eventually suffered so badly with her hands she gave up hairdressing and did office work her hands were so dry she would bend them and her knuckles cracked open and bled.I know its probably an extreme example but does show what damage can be caused and unlike beauty therapists hairdressers are immersed in chemicals and water most of the day every day they need to be so careful.

My main job is a hairdresser & you are totally right persianista.

It would be senseless to do all that training & have to give it up hairdressing because you became allergic to the products.
It doesnt always take a lot to suddenly become allergic but once you have.....it's down hill!

xxxsashaxxx maybe "someone upstairs" is getting you to look out for your sister & she will only ever thank you for it.x

Lightly buff her nails with a buffer, find one with a high grit (240 or more) and do it very lightly, don't go over the same area again & again , just sweep the buffer downwards in the direction of the nail growth working across the nail in gentle sweeps from top to bottom. One sweep down and move to the next section - over buffing will cause damage.
DO NOT DO THIS EVERY DAY!!!! This will thin her nails if done too much. Use it as a way of reducing the current staining, then she should use clear enamel/barrier cream &/or gloves in future if possible.

I have done tis with hairdressers & if you work very carefully it should be ok. If you work agressively it will thin the nail. I know I keep repeating that, but it's true.
Regular daily use of a good quality nail oil like Solar Oil from CND will also help to make the nails less porus & help to reduce the risk of over staining.

Hi everyone just a quick question may sister is a hairdresser and gets very badly tint stained nails iv tried everything to get rid of them soaking them in nail varnish remover and acetone ect... so is there anything you can recommend ANYONE please all i can do at the moment is covering them in dark nail varnish and she doesn't relay like dark colors :cry:

Learn how to work safetly and efficiantly to prevent overexposure and horrible looking hands:eek::eek:

Gloves will help I would of thought nitrile, more haste less speed.

From a professional point of view, Health and safety guidlines published by the H&S executive, plus all the guidelines written by the colour manufactuers STATE CLEARLY that gloves should be worn when using the product.

I never said she was not a good hairdresser, nor did I say she doesnt work hard.

If she reads the instructions that come with the product, it will say quite clearly that protective clothing should be worn, and H&S guidelines followed.

well then can you tell me at college they tell you is you want to wear gloves you can but if you don't want to you don't have too btw i was just asking a simple question on HOW TO GET IT OFF not how too prevent this if i wanted to know how to prevent this i would have asked:grr:

well then can you tell me at college they tell you is you want to wear gloves you can but if you don't want to you don't have too btw i was just asking a simple question on HOW TO GET IT OFF not how too prevent this if i wanted to know how to prevent this i would have asked:grr:

xxxsashaxxx everyone on this thread has been more than helpful to you.

Just because their advice has also included preventative measures, which may be obvious to some, there is no reason for you to 'get an attitude'.
If you want advice from professionals you wont be doing yourself any favours with the tone of your response.

I would be very worried if she was always covered in tint, as a college lecturer died at a very young age because he refused to wear gloves when tinting, and we were told this was because of this.

When I see my own daughter with tint on her hands I tell her off, even if she is just checking the colour, always use gloves! I have cancer and if someone can save themselves by just doing one thing, then they should always take precautions! Sorry for the rant, just care!

im not getting an attitude i was simply saying i didn't ask how to prevent this i know that just how to get it off and she was wearing gloves she didn't notice they split (it does happen from time to time) and i don't want people saying oh well she should be wearing gloves when she was no one asked me was she wearing gloves people just assumed as did i and they were getting funny about something they didn't know so if anyones got a problem now i think we should stop writing it on here and just forget about the posts

im not getting an attitude i was simply saying i didn't ask how to prevent this i know that just how to get it off and she was wearing gloves she didn't notice they split (it does happen from time to time) and i don't want people saying oh well she should be wearing gloves when she was no one asked me was she wearing gloves people just assumed as did i and they were getting funny about something they didn't know so if anyones got a problem now i think we should stop writing it on here and just forget about the posts
Christ, you're lucky you got the replies you have.

Buffing is a way of getting rid of the tint, you've been told that and haven't even been courteous enough to thank those people who told you so.:rolleyes:

I think everyone assumes that your sister doesnt wear gloves because you said:

"sister is a hairdresser and gets very badly tint stained nails"

When I read that, I also assumed she doesnt wear gloves.
It sounds like she ALWAYS has tint all over her hands and nails.
So either it really doesnt happen that often, or she really needs to buy a new brand of gloves that wont split on her all the time.
Also, most gloves are made to fit a hand with regular short nails so they can be nice and snug. If her nails are fairly long that may be what causes the splitting in the gloves as she is working. She probably just needs gloves a size bigger to compensate for the length of nails she has.

But, I could also be completely wrong about the whole thing and she has already taken all the precautions. If so, just ignore this post.:confused:

Latest posts

Back