Tip Blending Nightmare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes111

Reaction score
I am learnng acrylic nails with Essential Nails on a nail trainer hand. Although I have watched the dvd until I end up in a hypnotic state I still cant figure out where I am going wrong with blending the nail tips.

I always end up with the seam still visible and the tip breaking off at the free edge. I cant seem to make the white line at the bottom of the tip (furthest away from the free edge) disappear. I'm not sure what I am looking for when the blending is at the right stage and it is driving me mad!!

Ive read some of the blending advice on this site but I'm still not getting it...

Where am I going wrong?? All advice gratefully received :irked:

The best advice i got when i first started and had problems was always keep your file flat, that way you wont be filing one part more than the other.

Once blended in enough you should see very little seam if none at all.

I say very little as ive had tips that for the life in them wont buff to a invisible seam but once wiped over or have product on them its invisible.

Stick with it chick, you will get it in the end :hug:

Another thought...ask around on here for someone in your area, if they can do a 1-1 on filing and give you some pointers that would help you im sure.

If like me your more hands on that book reading & dvd watching this would be money well spent.

Hi Jess:)

I like yourself practiced loads on my training hand but to be honest I never really got along with "her".:mad: The fingertips would pop off, tips would break before I had even finished blending them! The best way to learn, for me, was to practice blending on myself, or anyone I could grab!

Also look at blending tutorials on here and although I can blend now and I actually enjoy blending I purchased the "nailclass" book by gigi rouse which is fantastic for professional tips!

Wish I could help more, as Pipps mentioned :)green:Oh My God Pips I looked at your profile, there is NO WAY you are a grandmother!) one to one with someone local would be great for you.

Good luck, keep at it, I know I felt the same and thought I would never master blending, then without realising, over night you CAN!:) :hug:

Thanks for that - you are right about being hands on. I think my trouble is that I need to see the blending in action and maybe the penny will drop. 1 to 1 would be ideal.

I did practice on myself but still ended up with the same problem so I am definitely getting the wrong idea. Ive been cheatng on myself and using the Edge Nails well free tips :)

There is a local salon that gives training but unfortunately only the whole thing and they arent willing to help with smaller problems.

Im beginning to wonder whether Ive made the wrong choice in course but you know how it is when your working full time and trying to fit in training.

I'll try to track that book down as well.

Hi there - you can get the book from the following website.

<b>Books</b>

It is a very popular book on this site. Nothing can beat practice when it comes to blending tips - although I remember being frustrated by it when I was first taught. My tutor persevered (as did I!) and the penny did drop. It then becomes easy! Be careful if you are going to practice on yourself as it is easy to over file and end up with red marks on your natural nail, try to keep the file off the natural nail, file from the free edge side and line up the flat edge of the file with the "line". Use firm strokes, it may be that you are being too gentle, while gentle filing will work eventually I'm sure there is a certain amount of pressure needed. HTH. Linds x

Thanks for that - you are right about being hands on. I think my trouble is that I need to see the blending in action and maybe the penny will drop. 1 to 1 would be ideal.

I did practice on myself but still ended up with the same problem so I am definitely getting the wrong idea. Ive been cheatng on myself and using the Edge Nails well free tips :)

There is a local salon that gives training but unfortunately only the whole thing and they arent willing to help with smaller problems.

Im beginning to wonder whether Ive made the wrong choice in course but you know how it is when your working full time and trying to fit in training.

I'll try to track that book down as well.

Using tips that are well less is by no means cheating.

If you was to do a poll on well less v well you would be surprised how many use them...me included!

If you find you get along better with well less tips then use them chick, dont think its cheating :hug:

Hi Jess:)

I like yourself practiced loads on my training hand but to be honest I never really got along with "her".:mad: The fingertips would pop off, tips would break before I had even finished blending them! The best way to learn, for me, was to practice blending on myself, or anyone I could grab!

Also look at blending tutorials on here and although I can blend now and I actually enjoy blending I purchased the "nailclass" book by gigi rouse which is fantastic for professional tips!

Wish I could help more, as Pipps mentioned :)green:Oh My God Pips I looked at your profile, there is NO WAY you are a grandmother!) one to one with someone local would be great for you.

Good luck, keep at it, I know I felt the same and thought I would never master blending, then without realising, over night you CAN!:) :hug:

Ahhh bless you :hug: but i am a granny and love every minute of it :green:

Using tips that are well less is by no means cheating.

If you was to do a poll on well less v well you would be surprised how many use them...me included!

If you find you get along better with well less tips then use them chick, dont think its cheating :hug:

I agree, well-less tips aren't cheating, HOWEVER, they are not suitable for everyones nails.

As a rule (I find) that well-less tips work better on people who have a good shaped nail / nail bed.

Marlise

was anyone taught to blend the way i was? which is to use a cotton bud with Acetone/tip remover and use this to melt away the well or seem line and then go over it with a buffer block until invisible? It is very quick but you do have to be carefull not to melt away too much. But no filing involved!

Try using CND velocity tips, you ll find there much easier to blend..I did!:lol::)

was anyone taught to blend the way i was? which is to use a cotton bud with Acetone/tip remover and use this to melt away the well or seem line and then go over it with a buffer block until invisible? It is very quick but you do have to be carefull not to melt away too much. But no filing involved!
Hi there, I've never heard of this method but I imagine it would weaken the tip and also pose an overexposure hazzard. Filing can be very quick once the right technique is used :) Linds x

Hi hun,

I know how you feel, I just dont seem to be mastering the whole 'blending' milarki lol, I keep sticking the nails to my skin hahahaha I am learning the same system as yourself with essential nails. Hard aint it, but I guess it will come to us soon xxx

THis method weakens the tip, clogs your abrasives and causes service breakdown. It is much better to learn how to blend with your abrasive. It's tricky in the beginning but with the right technique it is a quick and easy task.

This does again highlight one of the weaknesses of home learn courses - some things are better learnt face to face than via a dvd and tip blending is one of them.

i think the quality of the tips you use makes a massive difference as well as the adhesive that you use. Do you pre file them before you apply them? I find that this makes a differnce to how easy it is to blend (if it is necessary of corse alot of tips are thin enough that you dont need to do this and have the shine removed already).
I have to say though i do agree with vetty.....i dont think i would be able to do it if I hadnt been shown in person on my course, my educator was constantly over my shoulder adjusting the angle of my hand and file until i got it right....and now I can do it easy.
HTH's

:irked: Hmmm so the way i was taught sounds like a time saver for the tutor!!! I do my own nails and dont have a problem with my tips breaking or coming off, i dont do many clients just a few friends at the moment and the feed back has been ok or that they pinged one off at work so took the rest off!!!
When you pay a lot of money for these courses and you trust them to teach you the correct way, This now makes me feel quite sad that i have been taught a dud method :cry:

:irked: Hmmm so the way i was taught sounds like a time saver for the tutor!!!

When you pay a lot of money for these courses and you trust them to teach you the correct way, This now makes me feel quite sad that i have been taught a dud method :cry:

Sadly, you have to trust your tutor and depending on where you do your training that isn't always a good thing!! Get a copy of Nailclass by Gigi Rouse nailclass - by gigi rouse £15 with free delivery from Mundo. It will teach you the correct methods which you can use in conjunction with your training and make you a better Nail Tech :hug:

I did the EN course, and like nearly everyone you will talk to no matter what course you take, tip blending is one of the hardest things to master, but its great when you do, I did come on here and ask the question HOW PLEASE!!! lol..and was given the same answer as you have been given..buy Nailclass, best money I spent, Just for the first four lines on blending.
And Geeg WASNT standing over me at the time just telling me in a book of her experience. So no I dont think you necessarily HAVE to take a course with a tutor present instead of a home course tho some do prefer that, and way to go for them, we all learn in a different way.There are people on this forum that have been on these courses and still ask the most basic of questions,.So in all I dont think its the courses just certain people perception of them thats the problem

It takes lots of practice and if you feel you need extra help ring Sarah at en she is always helpful. i have done acrylic, gel and maintenace with en and on each course i have had great supervision off Sarah who has guided me every step of the way and when we couldn't sort the problem over the phone i'd send the nails to her to look at. I agree with Suze not everyone needs classroom tuition knowing both ways, i attend college every week for my city and guilds manicure and pedicure course. Keep practising it will clik eventually..:hug:xx

Latest posts

Back