Tip Box - do you have them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckjustpamper

Reaction score
Ok just out of interest i was wondering hwat salons have these?

It has never crossed my mind to have one because i feel it looks untidy have a box with tips written across it! Also i worked in a spa before and never obviously had one there.
This week alone i have had 3 or 4 clients go to me - " wheres you tip box?" in which the reponse is i dont have one,

So just out of curiosity really, what are your views on these and how many of you have them in the salon?
:hug:

We have individual ones sitting beside the till. Our till is concealed by a high counter so clients can't see unless they look over. I find that clients tip when they're paying, so it's easy just to put it in the wee box.

I agree with you about not liking the look of a box on display with 'tips' written on. But that's just my opinion :)

Xx

Why not make it obvious and use a money box next to the till? I went to a salon recently where they had separate money boxes for each therapists with their names written on them. I found it as a really good idea.

Why not make it obvious and use a money box next to the till? I went to a salon recently where they had separate money boxes for each therapists with their names written on them. I found it as a really good idea.
This is a good idea,My local hairdressers has this in their salon,I find it is not so itimdating when at the till paying to put a little something no matter how little into the hairdresser's/therapists pot.
sazza x

We used to have little money boxes on our reception desk with the girls names on them, but they did look really messy so I've got rid of them now. If people want to tip they tend to just hand some extra money over.

Although I've got to admit it seems like the girls don't get nearly as much now as they did when they used to have tip boxes that people could just slip a few coins into without the embarrassment of openly handing money across... So maybe I need to think about putting them back? I'm undecided!

in the salon where i worked we all had a money box with our name written on it, they sat in front of the till so clients could slip money in them if they wanted.all the money boxes were very cute and girly and clients were always commenting on how nice they were so i think they were a good idea.it also means clients can put as much or as little as they want in them and not have to feel embarassed. xx

Hello geeks!

I completely agree a box with tips wrote on does look shabby.... so why not make it look as good as poss:)

Over the years I've always had a tip box. And I've worked at two of the areas finest salons. (where you may think tip boxes would be frowned upon).
Anyway, we have always had nice little money boxes with our names wrote onto them. Ive had pink and silver metalic pigs, a pink stiletto money box. I've currently got a pink crystal covered piggy:)
Clients always love them and comment how cute, sweet they are before poping their tip in.
I much prefer to have a tip box as I feel awkward when clients hand me a tip.
Place your tip box on reception, but perhaps to the side. Thats way the client sees it but its not in there face and they dont look untidy.

Emma x

I've just read your post pinkcourture. Great minds think alike:confused: x x

lol emma i totally agree!i think clients also feel more comfortable if they can put money in a tip box instead of handing it to the therapist xx

We have money boxes sitting on the side, mine's a bouncy frog and my colleague has a beautiful cat.

Jacqui xx

we have little blue and green pigs with our names on which match our decor.

We started out with them on the counter, but decided to move them to underneath the counter incase they got stolen?

We do however have a lot of clients who remember when they were out on the top and when they go to tip they say ' ooh just pop this in your little pig..!' lol its funny and cute!

I do like the idea of having them out as i think they look ever so cute but just worry about them being taken? Not that anyone would steal a tip jar containing a tenner (hopefully not anyway! but hey its desperate times!)
DO u guys take your tips home everyday then if there out on the counter so theres not much in there at one point?

xx

where i work we have to empty ours every night x

I agree that they can look good if in a nice looking box and it's better than having loose change lying about if the therapist is too busy to put it in her bag. The only thing I would say though, especially if you decide to put them at them on display is to make sure they are emptied at the end of the day.

A hairdresser friend of mine had a money box in the staff room of her work, and saving for a holiday she never touched them for a few months, I can't remember the exact amount but she had saved hundreds then the salon got broken into and all was taken. It's also common with tips going missing if there is a large number of staff on at one time etc. which can cause problems and I would emphasise that they are not your responsibility to them.

EDIT: Sorry was still typing when you's posted, don't mean to repeat what you have said:)

I agree that a tip box can look messy on reception so ours are out of the way. But i remember when we did have them on display we definately had more people tip and putting extra change in. Sometimes i think we are too bothered about looking tacky or keeping it minimalistic not just for tip boxes but leaflets etc too that we hide things away when sometimes it is better not to!:lol:

We have a little money box each with our names on, we only put our own out when we are working so as not to clutter the reception desk.

One has a piggy, one a snail, one a cat and I have a little moo cow, can be quite funny if there are a couple on the desk and a client asks which ones yours? To which I reply I'm the cow! should of chosen something different lol!

Tips - I've worked where there were small envelopes left in the treatment room for the client to leave a tip in. If they handed it to me I would put it in the envelope for them. Often it was added as the sale was rung up or on the debit/cc machine. I like the idea of a tip box. Artfully decorated or an applealing "piggy" bank. I received one as a gift that said "Spa Fund" on it. Everyone enjoyed contributing to it. I think I might have to drag it out of storage and start using it again as I no longer have my spa.

My tip box saves all my holiday money for me, i like to keep it separate, it all used to go in my purse and go on random life things! I rent a room in a hotel and the staff brought me a beautiful butterfly money box for xmas to go with my room and it even has a key so i know no tips will disappear :)
And i agree clients do like to put money in your tip box that way they know its going to you, great for when you have to leave them at reception sometimes, they can feel a bit awkward about what to do tipping wise x

Latest posts

Back