Tipping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naildoctor

Reaction score
When my husband and I opened our salon two years ago, we began noticing that SEVERAL clients stopped tipping.:grr: They would either say nothing or say "I know not to tip the owner". Kick me while I'm down, people! Thousands of dollars spent to update and furnish the shop, no employees(they rent), and no upcharge since our move. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks for any replies!

I have heard of "not tipping the owner" of a salon but I totally disagree with this practice. I've had my nails done for years by the owner of the salon and I tip her every time.

I can't offer advice but I do wish you the best! :)

I know that my sister (who owns her own hair salon) doesn't make nearly as much in tips as her stylist who is younger. :irked:
I own my own beauty salon and work alone. Some people tip and some clients don't tip but will bring me a gift at Xmas. However, some don't tip or give gifts at all and I think that it's perhaps because it's MY salon. :cry:
When I get a treatment wherever, it doesn't matter who gives it, I always tip.

Thanks for the comments. One thing I forgot to add, it's also contagious(not tipping)! Clients will lay their check facing up, and I 've noticed that people who didn't start out not tipping, have stopped. Note to self, grab that lower-than-it-should-be check and slam it into the drawer, FAST! Have a great week!

Hi to all you USA geeks.

Tipping in our country, (UK), is usually only given for meals, hairdressers and cabs! I personally have never tipped a nail technician, as never had my nails done by a quality technician, sadly only at NSS locations, many moans ago!

I always tip my hairdresser as they are skilled, and I always give a tip to a waitress, because it's xxxxxx hard work and cab drivers because, for some historic reason, you feel you are obliged to.
Why is this?

I know beauty therapist rarely get tips.

It seems, in the UK, hairdressers get tips, (I personally always give mine a good tip), but the beauty industry, waxing, facials, do not.

And you lovely nails techs, I'm not sure about. Xmas treats, like a box of chocs, ect are greatly appreciated, but so would be treatment (depending on level and standard of service) based tips!

Sorry for sounding off about giving a tips, but I personally feel it is worthy if a great service has been given! XXX

Last edited:
you say about hairdressers having a skill
every1/ everyjob needs a skill,
Waxing a clients is a skill and i feel if the client is happy with the end result it would be nice to get a couple of ££ extra As every penny counts.

I like to tip people if i feel they have put 100% in to what they have done and make me feel welcome in the salons Eg facial/ waxing/ tanning etc
Even if i only have like £2 /£1.50 i will empty my coins if iam happy to do so.

Home beauty

I have never heard of not tipping the owner, at the end of the day the ownder is just as hardworking as the employees if not more, the owner oversees everything and has earnt their tips

Yes, why do we tip cabbies?!!!

I feel if someone has given me excellent service then I am happy to tip, be it a waitress, beauty therapist, hairdresser or even a sales assistant! It is odd for a Brit abroad when in the States because we just don't realise we're supposed to be tipping the guy who gets our cab for us, or the room service chap. It's only when they give us that look that we realise we've offended them!

I haven't heard of tipping the owner in UK .but cabbies,hairdressers and waiters\waitresses & bellboys do get a tip.

As a Beauty & Holistic therapist i get a tip for any treatment i perform
even when i was training at college, a few ladies were coming in for weekly facials and Aromatherapy massage and they were always bring me presents,whether it was a chocolate cake,box of chocolates or one of these mini bath gifts ..lovely.. and these ladies are regulars of mine still in my home based salon ,one lady tips me a fiver. :)

I always tip my hairdresser and the nail tech that does my nails because they are good and deserve it.

I think in my opinion ,the owner just likes the appreciation given to her\his staff from their clients on a job well done.

I'll tip the owner just as I would anyone else IF the service was fab and I am happy with what I got. I have in the past not tipped an owner for speaking to a member of staff in a way I thought was innapropriate in front of clients and sounded like a power trip that could and should have waited for the staff room. I have to say that as food costs and bills are rising I am tipping less and less. It's not that I dont want to, its just needing to cut back. I hope that rather than seeing me as mean the salon owner and staff alike realise the financial climate is getting harder, and that at least I am still coming for appointments. :hug:

Last edited:
I have worked employed, self-employed & now have my own clinic offering beauty & holistic therapies & regularly get tipped. If anything, since I've had my own place I get more, perhaps they feel sorry for me & the amount of outlay I had to get it up & running! I've had everything from a couple of pounds to £20 - £30, but the average is about £3 - £5 with about half of them tipping.

If I have good service I will always leave a tip, I think it ensures you get good service next time as well.
Now having the boot on the other foot as it were, I feel real pleasure when I get a tip from a client, not only for the tip, but also because they are more than happy with the service. My average is also between £3-£5 pounds x

A few of my clients do tip and I really appreciate the gesture. I have one dear client in particular who comes to me faithfully every two weeks, doesn't stretch out her maintenance even when she could and tips me £5 each time and sometimes brings me flowers. I only take 1hr max for her appointment and did initially feel guilty about accepting such a generous tip. I wouldn't say she was one of my most affluent clients either. She works really hard for her money but has stressed that she wants to give me the tips so I now just accept with thanks. Every now and then, if we both have time, I will give her some extra pampering on top of her maintenance.

I always tip if I am happy with a service. Even if I go to a restaurant where the food has been poor. If the waiter/waitress has given good service, I am still happy to tip. I usually tip the hairdressers except if I am unhappy with what they did or their attitude.

When I used to work in restaurants and pubs, the wages were just a little extra as the tips were usually so much more than what I earned.

A few of my clients tip and at first I felt un-easy accepting them even though I tip almost every where I go... hair dressers, resturants, cabs, beautician, dustbin men at xmas, paper boy, the list goes on.

To be honest I think I have had more bunches of flowers off clients than tips... maybe they think my place needs brightening up a bit lol!!!

One thing I do get, which I love, is an appreciative hug from my long term regulars :hug:

Hi to all you USA geeks.

Tipping in our country, (UK), is usually only given for meals, hairdressers and cabs! I personally have never tipped a nail technician, as never had my nails done by a quality technician, sadly only at NSS locations, many moans ago!

I always tip my hairdresser as they are skilled, and I always give a tip to a waitress, because it's xxxxxx hard work and cab drivers because, for some historic reason, you feel you are obliged to.
Why is this?

I know beauty therapist rarely get tips.As a salon owner and college lecture I have always found in the beauty industry the therapist gets regular tips

It seems, in the UK, hairdressers get tips, (I personally always give mine a good tip), but the beauty industry, waxing, facials, do not. Again in college and in my salon the therapist have regular tips

And you lovely nails techs, I'm not sure about. Xmas treats, like a box of chocs, ect are greatly appreciated, but so would be treatment (depending on level and standard of service) based tips!

Sorry for sounding off about giving a tips, but I personally feel it is worthy if a great service has been given! XXX
I totally agree if the client has been given a good service.

I think giving of tips depents on the area you live in and the quality of the service you receive.

One of the therapists in my salon has been saving her tips since April 08 and has just bought herself a lovely Marc Jacobs handbag...... ( she if a fab therapist and is always very attentive with her clients)

So it just gose to show if you provide a fab service you can enjoy the benifits it can bring:hug:

Thanks for so many great replies. I'm always interested to understand what is customary in different countries. I guess I should have said in my original thread that I also do the services and thats the only way that I get paid.Unless, of course, you include my husbands money- I get all of that, too!!

Latest posts

Back