Tips and acrylic. sorry if this is a repeat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLB

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a lady who has specifically requested tips im doing them tonite, i did try and explain the benefits of sculpting but she was adament she wanted tips i haven't seen her nails yet so she could be a biter in which case our tutor told us she would recommend putting tips on them anyway but obviously letting the client know she will need to come in sooner for rebalance and she may not get as long a life span from them if she bits, but the problem i have is i havent done tip application with acrylic yet, i've had a play myself with gels and tips.

I am still training at the minute but only done L&P sculpting upto now, i have seen tip application and i feel confident with the tip application as i have done it on myself so many times and never had issues with them (touch wood) it is just purely the acrylic part im getting a bit of a stressed about. I dont want to turn down the opportunity to practice with my application technique and the lady is fully aware that i am training.

I have welled tips in white, clear and natural, now what im wondering is if she is a nail biter or has short nail beds im thinking of slightly extending the nail bed with my lovely renew pink powder from NH. but what tips would you use and why, should i just use white as the smile line is there if i dont need to extend nail bed, but if i do and use the opague powder will it hide the white tip??

Ill be using Nail Harmony products and these will be my first steps (if anyone thinks im missing anything out be grateful for ur suggestions and advice too)

1. prep nail as normal, remove cuticle, shape NN, lightly buff to remove shine, cleanse and scrub, use PH bond.

2. size up tips apply at 45 degree angle, shape side and free edge if white tips no need to blend, is this the case for natural and clear? I also know for gels i'd need to buff the tip would this be the case for L&P?

3. apply pro bond (would this just be to the natural nail or to the tip aswell, in the past when i've used a dehydrator on tip its cracked it so i wont be doing that again! the pro bond acts as a double sided sticky tape to aid adhesion which is making me think it wont do this, but i could be wrong?

Im sorry if i sound stupid or silly for asking, but i would be very grateful for your wonderful advice and help.

Thanks Lauren x

I would apply natural as you are blending and once blended it will not be visible on nail bed.

Size tip up, before sticking to nail thin down well area with file. Then glue. Then blend the nail. (filing the tip before sticking it on will reduce time blending and also less chance of thinning clients natural nail)

Hope it makes sense!!

I would apply natural as you are blending and once blended it will not be visible on nail bed.

Size tip up, before sticking to nail thin down well area with file. Then glue. Then blend the nail. (filing the tip before sticking it on will reduce time blending and also less chance of thinning clients natural nail)

Hope it makes sense!!

I think so thanks for your response really appreciate it, so just to confirm do all prep to the tip prior to apllying to nail? x

I always use natural, as snaz said pre blend the tip before application, but not all blending is done before, you remove the bulk so to speak, then blend when applied. Can't comment on your glue sorry miss lb as I use cnd gelbond. Do you have a practice hand to have a few goes on, be careful not to over blend and be aware of the clients natural nail. The best option maybe to talk her into sculpts until you have covered tip application. :)

Last edited:
Hi! I'm always torn between this issue with prep as well. I've seen some techs put bonder on tips as well? I've always been told not to put bonder or dehydrant on tips. So I just put dehydrant and bonder only on the natural nails. (I usually apply those those after I've cleansed and glued tips on.) Smeone please correct me if I've been doing it wrong.
You haven't seen her nails yet, but I think if she's a nail biter, and she's got more skin than nails, you should just talk her into sculptured nails. With nubby, bitten nails, I find it's easier and less problematic (cuz they're so proned to lifting) than trying to put tips on. You can customize it to fit whatever shape her nail plates are. I took a class with Greg from young nails last summer, and he did a bit on bitten nails. He also has a youtube channel, but I've done his method with bitten nails, and it's been working for me.

Thanks for ur replies what grit file should I use for blending? X

Maybe you should sculpt for this client as the natural nail can easily be damaged if this isnt done correctly, better to be safe than sorry! :) x

hi ladies did the nails last nite she wasnt a biter but was a picker pretty short nail beds so had to extend nail bed still need to practice and i saw faults but ultimately the lady was happy with them which is the main thing. Like i said still a lot of work to to do need to work on side walls and de-bulking took 3 hours and def work on product control!!!! but got to practice practice practice. Thanks for all ur advice!!! x

sorry about lighting by the way, def need to debulk everytime i look at them i see things i need to improve on. i have to say in all honesty i prefer sculpting! but tips are really popular some people dont like trying different things!! x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1322655928.618490.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1322655928.618490.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 106
From what I can see in the picture they look good.

Did you not apply White French ? Can't really tell with picture, they look like a natural overlay?? With a extended nail bed?? Look good either way, keep it up

Latest posts

Back