To Ease The Pain of Labour!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get the gas &air and just suck it in babe

For me, I have done all my labours (3) without chemical pain relief, other than a wee bit of gas and air..

Yes it hurts like hell, but the way I dealt with it was breathing and focus.....focus on something other than the pain....put your mind into another sphere and concentrate your efforts on focussing on something other than the pain.....with my last it was the wheel on a trolley that was in the room, I just focussed on that, stared at it and put my energy into that, but woe betide anyone who wlaked through my line of focus, then I lost it lol and this was with a baby who was being born 8 weeks prem....I still focused, even though I kew she was poorly and needed surgery (duodenal atresia).

I had my second at home and was too late for the gas and air by the time the midwife got here...I screamed and shouted and said I was going to die but as soon as it was over, it was over....

I always felt satisfied at the end of it all...I wouldn't have liked to have chemical intervention by way of pethadine or epidural as it would have taken something away from me. I totally enjoyed giving birth!!!

If the birth is difficult then yes do what you have to do!

Hi ya

I found a book Every Woman by Derek Lwellyn Jones really helpful...pity I got it for the 2nd pregnency lol....She's now 21 in July...
The explanation's of the 3 stages of labour are detailed to let you know exactly the stage your labour is at.
Once I understood some of it & applied it to my labour it definately helped
A couple of puffs on the gas - no epidural or pethedine - no transfusion - no stitches.
As opposed to the first.. Gas - epi/peth - forceps - sign theatre doc for
c section[love to see that signature now] - gas -27 internal stitches -
blood transfusion.He's 25 now .... said he couldnt feel a thing.lol..xoxoxox

Below is a link with some extra pregnency information.
http://www.labourtens.com/
All the best
XX J XX

Well StarStar! This is helping me, thanks for starting this one.
I think between you and me our threads have covered most of our pregnancy questions!

I think I am still going for the water birth. You never hear anything bad about them but who knows on the day.
I think you are before me so good luck and keep us posted.

xx
:hug:

my 3rd and last was born so quick i still had my draws hanging from my ankle i had a student midwife in there and he yes a man hadent plugged the gas&air in propely i was sucking on air the whole time

for me gas and air made me throw up and the epidural wore out hours before I got to 10cm. The best thing for me was when they gave me a compleat spinal block and a c-section (I didn't feel a thing). it was just the weekes afterwards I was off my feet that was uncumfortable.

I hope this helps and doesnt scare you, everyones labour and pain threshold is different. Mine unfotunetly is pants.

my first labour was only 31/2 hours - from start to finish
the 2nd was 3 hours
the 3rd was 21/2 hours

had gas and air with first and second and epidural with the 3rd-was wonderful (cos she was 6 weeks early and dry labour, so the doc suggested it)

i remember the doc telling me i could pass a 10lb'er :eek: (cheeky get)

I used Gas and Air with my 4. The thing that I would recommend (well it worked for me!) Is not to fall apart, I stayed calm. I felt that if I had started screaming I wouldn't have been able to stop :eek: . So I stayed focused, stayed calm ans breathed my way through x x

With my first (a long time ago!) I had everything going so I slept through 80% of my laour, 11 hr. With my second had Dia-morphine it was fantastic, I felt great, although I had no epidural I did want one but it was too late, 11hrs labour. Am about 13 weeks (although having a dating scan on the 27th) will take everything going.

kas67 said:
With my first (a long time ago!) I had everything going so I slept through 80% of my laour, 11 hr. With my second had Dia-morphine it was fantastic, I felt great, although I had no epidural I did want one but it was too late, 11hrs labour. Am about 13 weeks (although having a dating scan on the 27th) will take everything going.

Congrats babe!

every birth will be different

1st son gas air & pethidine - 7 hrs labour - 3 days overdue 8lb 10oz - 30 stiches inside and out

2nd son gas air & pethidine - 3 hrs labour - 7 days overdue 7lb 10oz - 27 stiches inside and out

3rd son gas air & pethidine, paracetemol, sleeping tablet, telling off after waters broke had had 2 sleepings- couldn't press the buzzer:eek: 23 hrs labour - 6 days overdue according to dates - a month overdue according t docs at the birth:eek: 8lb 5oz - loads can't remember how many but omg was I sore:cry:

4th son gas air & pethidine - 3 hrs labour - 14 days overdue - induced - trainee midwife tried to induce me and drew blood :eek: 9lb 10oz - 4 stiches outside

5th son gas air & pethidine - 9 hrs labour - induced due date 8lb 6oz - no stiches :lol:

With Kris (1st son)they used to give you enemas :eek: shave all your hairy mary's off:eek: and keep you in hospital for 7 days - no epidurals available for me at that time

With Jon 3rd son - it was the worst birth experience ever - they were going to do an emergency c - section because he was in distress so whilst they were getting things ready I just pushed as hard as I could and out he popped - he had pooed inside me and the docs said that he was at least a MONTH overdue - he had lots of septic spots and an onion head:lol: - poor thing

George 5th Son was the easiest but I put that down to experience:lol:

Do what you think is the best at the time - the midwives will help you through it - good luck all:hug:

Pickle said:
Well StarStar! This is helping me, thanks for starting this one.
I think between you and me our threads have covered most of our pregnancy questions!

I think I am still going for the water birth. You never hear anything bad about them but who knows on the day.
I think you are before me so good luck and keep us posted.

xx
:hug:
The funny thing about water births that they don't always tell you is the midwife running round with the sieve, to catch anything that might pop out before the baby.:eek: My friend said she was so embarrased.:o
Good luck you guys. :hug:

pinkmummy said:
The funny thing about water births that they don't always tell you is the midwife running round with the sieve, to catch anything that might pop out before the baby.:eek: My friend said she was so embarrased.:o
Good luck you guys. :hug:

LOL!!!!

Nightmare, oh well lets hope it's solid so we can chuck it out in one go!
If it's not, my fiance won't be happy if he is in the pool with me!!!

PMSL!!!:lol: :lol:

PMSL -thats why they used to give you enemas:lol:

Snugglepuss said:
PMSL -thats why they used to give you enemas:lol:

Why did they stop?

To give themselves a laugh?!

Pickle said:
Why did they stop?

To give themselves a laugh?!
hehehehe - probably SP:eek:

they said that when I had my 2nd son (1985 :eek: omg am I old or what?) that the body's natural mechanism closes down your pooing ability so that IT:eek: doesn't happen - mmmmm what happened to my friend???????:lol: she said they wipe it away very discreetly:lol:

Well with all that pushing, something has to give!!!:lol:

MY GOOD GOD PEEPS! YOUR TRAUMATISING ME HERE! WISH ID NEVER READ THIS THREAD! BLEAAAAAAH!

no babies for me for a veeeery loooong time!!!!!

oh it's not that bad francesXXX!!

i was induced, two weeks over due... yeah, it hurt like i've never hurt before... but it was over pretty quick, 11 hours 35 minutes. my epidural didn't work AT ALL, but they gave me some drug in my IV when i was about 30 minutes before time to push. it made me sleep between contractions. i had to push for about 35 minutes (i was so out of it from the drugs that it took me a little while to figure out how to push correctly... but once i figured it out, it was 2 pushes and op! there she is!)

my daughter was 9lbs 13.2 oz, 22 1/2 inches long, bald head and gorgeous blue eyes!

i would recommend recording it in some way, the birth i mean. if you're not into the whole video thing... you can do like i did. i bought a digital sound recorder to record her heart beat when i was about 4 months along... and we recorded her birth, from the last push to a little bit after she started crying. i can listen to it and bawl like a baby for an hour. it's beautiful!

Latest posts

Back