Tone or not to tone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
As therapists we are taught at college that mantra"cleanse tone moisturise".

But is toning a real nessesity??

In treatments we tone the skin and we always reccommend an appropriate toner for home care,but can you really skip this part of the routine?

Im on the fence with this,as i tried it for a month by just cleansing and washing off with a warm cloth followed by moisturisation.
I have to say my skin did not worsen,and i was not really surprised as i am blessed with good skin.

However this started me thinking do we need to tone?
I personally went back to toning my skin,not only because i CAN NOT live without my Elemis lavender toner,but i do like that fresh feeling on my skin and feel its cleansed properly...so is it pschycological or does it do as a toner should.i. e. remove excess cleanser and minimise the pores,because lets face it pores should NOT be closed,they are not lifts that just open and close and if they did close your serumsa and creams would not be absorbed!!:eek:

I always reccommend toner because it gives clients routine and from feed back from them thay DO see results

Whats your opinions guys id like to know??:)

A lot of skin care lines require the use of a toner because it puts the skin's ph balance back to normal because the cleanser strips the natural oils and changes the ph balance of the skin. Not all skin care lines do this. Dermalogica carries a "toner" but it is only used to prep the skin for any other product put on after cleansing, but if this step is missed, it's not the end of the world. With many other lines if you miss the toning step you skin may feel dry and tight even with moisturizer.

I have to agree with Huberella that we recommend toner after the cleanser to restore the skins natural PH balance and to remove any cleanser residue.

I find using a toner works well for me,if I dont use anything following my cleanse I get spots or irritated skin and if I used water my skin feels dry.

Toner for me works well.I hate those cleanser and toner in one lotions.I cannot get my head around how they are supposed to work and personally never recommend them.HTH

Personally i hate those aswell Babsann when clients tell me they use them i secretly roll my eyes,but then get them back to basics,and NEVER use those awful cleansing wipes....They have no treatment benefit on the skin whatsoever,if i EVER saw them in somebodys bathroom i would have no hesitation in destroying them:mad: :!:

Personally i hate those aswell Babsann when clients tell me they use them i secretly roll my eyes,but then get them back to basics,and NEVER use those awful cleansing wipes....They have no treatment benefit on the skin whatsoever,if i EVER saw them in somebodys bathroom i would have no hesitation in destroying them:mad: :!:
The wipes are very drying and too harsh usually.I think they're ok as a quick fix,i.e if camping and forgotten your usual products but as a rule hate them.

I always advise my clients against using them and the all in ones.We are there to educate them after all.

Can I ask why you hate the cleanser and toner in ones?
I use Clarins, the orangey one that you have to shake, should I be buying MORE products???
God Hubby is going to be SOOO pleased!!
LOL

Well the purpose of a toner, as already said, is to remove the las traces of cleaners amoungst other thoings. So if your cleanser and toner are the same hing, how can it do that?

Generally speaking clarins and other more natural and 'top end' producs shouldnt really leave much residue on your face. Although when i used clarins cleansing milk i always followed with the toner to prepare my skin for my moiusturiser.

The one step orange is a liquid, however i find it leave an oily residue on my skin, so i would still need to tone after that anyway to get rid of it!

I use a top end cleanser and mine also leaves a residue,but then I have quite a sensitive skin so maybe what bothers mine wouldn't bother somebody elses.

I feel the same about 2 in 1 cleanser/toners as I do shampoo and conditioner.I just dont see how they can do what they claim to do properly.If you have 2 products mixed together how does one seperate from another?

They are designed to do 2 completely different things,mixing the 2 in my opinion would make that impossible unless they were able to seperate the ingredients,in the same bottle, to allow them to get on and do their specific jobs.JMHO.:green:

i cleanse, tone and moisturise twice a day

and this is what i recommend to all my clients

i did once try a 2 in 1 cleanser and toner i did not like it at all my skin felt horrid

Totally agree with the two in one thing- i know products are more advanced these days, but how can a product relax the pores and aid cleansing, and tighten pores at the same time?
I use a toner to ensure all traces of cleanser are removed, and skin does always feel smooth after.

Well the purpose of a toner, as already said, is to remove the las traces of cleaners amoungst other thoings. So if your cleanser and toner are the same hing, how can it do that?

Generally speaking clarins and other more natural and 'top end' producs shouldnt really leave much residue on your face. Although when i used clarins cleansing milk i always followed with the toner to prepare my skin for my moiusturiser.

The one step orange is a liquid, however i find it leave an oily residue on my skin, so i would still need to tone after that anyway to get rid of it!

Could this contribute to why I have milia spots on my skin then?
I have about 6 or 7 now, 1 is under my eye on the really delicate area.

Have a look at thishttp://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/51866-milia.html

Mmm not sure why link isn't working,try looking at the milia thread lots of advice on this there.

I love how fresh my skin feels after toning. I don't think I would feel as 'clean' if i missed that out of my routine.

I guess its like a two in one shampoo and conditioner - it just doesnt feel as nice to me as using separates!

I think toning does help to remove the residue from cleansers. Sometimes, you get get the full removal of makeup with your cleanser/wash and sometimes it just doesnt happen.

Dont forget Rosewater can be a good toner - especially if you have sensitive skin!

Milia, are little balls of protein beneath the skin that do not have a pore, or hole in the skin through which to escape.
Exfoliating the skin, or removing the dead skin cells from your skin with an abrasive product or chemical, is beneficial. But brutally scrubbing your face with soaps and chemicals too frequently may actually create milia. To avoid this, remember that gentle exfoliation helps prevent excess dead skin cell build-up that could clog your pores and cause milia.
This gentle exfoliation helps make eventual removal of the milia easier because the skin layer around the milia becomes thinner, with frequent, yet gentle exfoliation. In short, Exfoliate your skin to prevent milia, not to cure them.
The best way to prevent milia is to avoid treating your skin with excessively harsh chemicals and to limit sun exposure.

Milia, are little balls of protein beneath the skin that do not have a pore, or hole in the skin through which to escape.
Exfoliating the skin, or removing the dead skin cells from your skin with an abrasive product or chemical, is beneficial. But brutally scrubbing your face with soaps and chemicals too frequently may actually create milia. To avoid this, remember that gentle exfoliation helps prevent excess dead skin cell build-up that could clog your pores and cause milia.
This gentle exfoliation helps make eventual removal of the milia easier because the skin layer around the milia becomes thinner, with frequent, yet gentle exfoliation. In short, Exfoliate your skin to prevent milia, not to cure them.
The best way to prevent milia is to avoid treating your skin with excessively harsh chemicals and to limit sun exposure.

Milia can also be linked to your diet, high cholesterol i think. Its early, i cant remember! lol.

Eve Lom is a fantastic cleanser. i have always had trouble with spot prone and greasy skin and have tried everything! some things worked ok some not (dont like clinique soap bar or toners-far too harsh). Bought eve lom on her website evelom.com and after just 2 days my skin was sooo clear i absolutely loved it! She recommend using a hot muslin cloth to remove the cleanser which also exfoliates the skin gently. It really is amazing stuff only thing is its quite expensive at £45 for 100ml & a muslin cloth but worth every penny and I suppose you save money not having to buy a toner.

I skipped the toner for a few days and started to notice congestion around my chin. I used a soft flannel to remove all traces of the cleanser.
I have gone back to toning and the congestion has dissapeared.

Just my own findings.

Totally agree with the two in one thing- i know products are more advanced these days, but how can a product relax the pores and aid cleansing, and tighten pores at the same time?
I use a toner to ensure all traces of cleanser are removed, and skin does always feel smooth after.
i was thinking this same thing, i have combination skin and couldn't do without the toner in my routine or my t-zone would soak up my moisturiser like a sponge, then the dreaded spots would appear:eek: my skin is up and down though, oscar is only 6 months old and it usually take almost a year for my hormones to calm down after babbys x

Latest posts

Back