Top Coat Baffled !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

champagne

Reaction score
Here goes:

Experimented on various finishes today:

NSI Thermoshield used over black CND metro didnt hold its shine.

Brisa UV Finishing gloss sent the black navy blue.

Thermosheild used over Pina Parie gel & nail art (not sure if i shouldve tried this) peeled off.

Confused as to what top coat to try next lol

Any advice welcome x

Hi

I have never used thermosheild but have tried perma gloss and glaze n go from NSI. Really like glaze n go as there is no tacky layer to remove and the finish is very glossy. Can't comment on the others as I've never used them.

Deejay

Some top coats which have UV filters in them will alter colours initially but the black would have come back to black after a short time.

Why do you need a top coat. Why not just buff them to a high shine.

Mmmm I use NSI Thermoshield on my nails last night, and some others with nail art in my gallery, they all came out lovely and shiney hun. Havent used the others tho so cant comment on them ...x

At the show I noticed NSI glaze and go was very popular. Having been on CND course, iv been told that you shouldnt mix any other makes of products with CND as it may disolour them e.t.c, does anyone no if this is true or is it a selling technique? If its not true, can I use NSI glaze and go over acrylic nails?

Thanksxx

It will depend on what sort of product you are using. I have seen someone using a product which was designed as a base and top coat on L&P nails and they went yellow.

Companies can advise you which works best with your product but if you choose not to take their advice and you have problems then you will have no comeback.

I know we are told not to mix other system together but I tend to think of a system as our liquid and powder. I imagine that when products are tested they use all from the same make as in tips, adhesive, liquid, powder and so on....I think it's a selling technique. Although don't have the experience like many others on this site to say one way or the other.

Deejay

It may be viewed as a selling technique and yes there is nothing stopping you from buying different tips, different adhesive etc. etc. but how might this look to your clients for example, cherry picking from lots of different brands.

At the end of the day, the cost per set between using Creative's (for example) tips and wholesalers own brand is really fractions of pennies. Is it really worth the hassle of shopping in several places to save those fractions.

But hey each to their own.

Thanks All

Just for info, I do buff enhancements to a high shine. I was experimenting with top coats to see which one worked best.

Also I wanted to test the top coats that cover polish as the dressers have l&p then have them painted hence waiting about to dry if not an option for them.

Thanks for the replys x

I use top coats on enhancements if the client doesnt want them buffed or if im short on time.....

Hi Glaze n Go is no good over enamel I use it over acrylic and gel and it's lovely. :)

Just a note...If you are looking for something to go over polish, Glaze 'n Go & Perma Gloss won't work. They are gel/acrylic top coats only.

If you haven't had luck with Thermoshield over polish, you may want to try checking your lamp. When was the last time you changed your bulbs?

so what happens if you do enhancements but then polish these or provide nail art..... do you use a top coat for polish or will the perma gloss still work?? im confused!!!

ugh good question Nic, I was thinking the same thing, I assume its ok as long as it has some acrylic around the nail art to bond to? I've used both glaze n go and thermoshield over nail art on acrylics with good results but never on a fill painted nail.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi, if you use NSI glaze and go over nail polish which is not completely dry and hard it will make the glaze and go crack and lift. Just use over acrylic, ok if you are using stickers on acrylic. Use glaze and go, cure, then apply sticker, then another coat of glaze and go. Hope this helps. XX :smack:

Latest posts

Back