Top of eyebrows react to waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMG

Reaction score
Hope someone can help shed some light on this rather interesting reaction only a handful of people get.

I almost always wax the above and below the brow unless instructed not to. I have had a client tell me she gets a bad reaction above the brow, but to be honest I think it was just her way of ensuring her waxer didn't try to talk her into doing the top.

Recently I waxed a lady's brows and she said she never gets a nice arch. I asked if I could wax the top and show her the difference. She was happy to let me as she is a long term client and trusts me. Her eyebrows looked amazing and she was thrilled. She had no obvious reaction to the waxing and had little redness.

The next day she was booked in for a spray tan and showed me her brows. She had almost a rash where I had waxed above the brow and under the brow was just fine! Of course I used the exact same wax both top and bottom and same cleansers and after wax care.

Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone please explain why this happens?

Did you use strip or non strip wax?
I have a regular brow wax and if I get it done with strip waxes I almost always get a rash/graze ( no matter who does it for me) and with non strip wax I never have any reaction.I only use non strip wax for face waxing with a little oil pre and post wax.
Jack

Can't say i've come up against that problem (only redness). The hair is different as can be heard when you wax it off, so maybe that's why it's reacted differently?? mmm, i'm going to keep an eye on this post!

Could she have put make up or moisturiser or something on after? She might have put it on the top but not bottom brow x

I've never heard of this before, but then I don't see my clients until the next month. Apply a fine layer of nappy rash cream after waxing and get he to give you feedback.

Had she recently had botox?

It happens to me!!! Only the upper eyebrow and never the lower. Although, I do not wax. It happens to me when I thread or now, when I get laser treatments. I am sure it would happen to me if I waxed too. Usually it itches and such, but I have super sensitive skin. I wouldn't worry, it will go away. If it itches her, have her put some hydrocortisone cream and she should be fine. Mine leaves in a few days and then I enjoy being hairless!

I would also like to add, it is pretty rare when it happens, my laser nurses are usually extremely worried and such but I am used to it, so maybe since your client has never had her upper brows waxed that is why she is concerned and maybe scared. It is just the skins reaction and I doubt had anything to do with your technique. I wouldn't worry!

It happens to me too, whether I wax or thread everytime I get a pimply rash above my brows, like some people get on their upper lip after waxing.

It clears in a day or two.

I did use a strip wax that is designed for face. I'm in Australia so I doubt the brand will mean much to anyone.

I am interested to see that others get this regardless of whether they are threading/waxing etc.

My client wouldn't have put anything else on (I believe) as she's a pretty natural sort of gal and she wasn't overly worried just wanted me to know. (Thank goodness).

It's bugging me as to why....I'd really like to know why some people experience this and why the top and not the bottom. There has to be a good scientific reason why?!

Thanks to all for the replies...hopefully someone will have an answer.

I did use a strip wax that is designed for face. I'm in Australia so I doubt the brand will mean much to anyone.

I am interested to see that others get this regardless of whether they are threading/waxing etc.

My client wouldn't have put anything else on (I believe) as she's a pretty natural sort of gal and she wasn't overly worried just wanted me to know. (Thank goodness).

It's bugging me as to why....I'd really like to know why some people experience this and why the top and not the bottom. There has to be a good scientific reason why?!

Thanks to all for the replies...hopefully someone will have an answer.

In my opinion and personal experience, I am certain it is just the skins normal reaction to being waxed, especially if your client has sensitive skin. If she would like, just have her try the hydrocortisone and it should help her. It is just her skin's way of being waxed in maybe a more sensitive area of her face. Maybe try wax specified for sensitive skin and give that a try next time?

I will try to ask my instructor what her knowledge on this is, but as far as being one who has this happen, I say don't worry too much.

From my own experience, the first time I removed hair from the upper brow area, my skin went crazy and itched horribly, but now that I continue doing it, it responds very well and the bumps are extremely light and hardly there.

Thanks Sara, I really am not worried as the reaction did not appear to be serious and the client wasn't overly worried. Just wanted me to know, which I really appreciate.

I guess it's just got me curious as I have had a few clients tell me this happens to them (and obviously to some geeks too). It's one of those mysteries that I really want to solve!

Latest posts

Back