Top Talons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_simon

Reaction score
Are these trainers any good? I need to be tested on manicure, pedicure, gel, acrylic and fibreglass, so really need pure practical testing

I'd also like to know..anyone?

I trained with these last october.
Lovely people and great sized group of up to 8 people and 3 trainers.
We only covered bare basics.
Everyone in the room passed and was told practice makes perfect (which to an extent is true) we were not told anything about pricing in your business, infills, pink an white l&p or sculpting. I have since retrained and learnt so much more. Nail class book and the complete nail technician have also taught me tons and i would be lost without them as reference.
I do not agree with the fact that everyone that did the course should pass (everyone always does if you read their reviews and another thread on here) my nails i had done (we did a hand of gel and a hand of acrylic) had gel all over my skin and it was bulky and the tips she blended under the acrylic she was too harsh on me and i had blood where she filed my nail bed and cut into my skin and then put acrylic over the top, also too bulky and thick. The main trainer then went "yes good work, your filing could be less harsh next time, congratulations you've passed". Without bigging myself up the set i did on the girl (as you work on each other and not on models) were great except my acrylic was even and the women said "yeah, your well on your way, well done, congratulations you've passed"

If i had the money i would do s2 complete CND course but i dont have £2000 to spend as im only part time alongside my full time job!

Hth anymore questions please ask me. I could have written more but its an essay already lol xx

infills and pricing are always covered.
Never mention sculpting or white and pink being covered on a one day beginners,
It is a CERTIFICATE OF ATTENDANCE. not about pass or fail actually.
We have attended one day courses with 4 well know brands and guess what ? EVERYONE PASSED, and we got a CERTIFICATE OF ATTENDANCE from so called best in industry.. sound familair? Fact.
It is a beginners course , some are better than others on the day, its polite to be patient with your collegue..
Many students go on to earn 300 per day from Top Talons courses without retraining!
Going to college we have seen students nails ruined not just one day but for weeks with overfiling, also overfiling in 'QUALIFIED SALONS!!' using electric files...
Longer course you would learn more and also pay more...

infills and pricing are always covered.
Never mention sculpting or white and pink being covered on a one day beginners,
It is a CERTIFICATE OF ATTENDANCE. not about pass or fail actually.
We have attended one day courses with 4 well know brands and guess what ? EVERYONE PASSED, and we got a CERTIFICATE OF ATTENDANCE from so called best in industry.. sound familair? Fact.
It is a beginners course , some are better than others on the day, its polite to be patient with your collegue..
Many students go on to earn 300 per day from Top Talons courses without retraining!
Going to college we have seen students nails ruined not just one day but for weeks with overfiling, also overfiling in 'QUALIFIED SALONS!!' using electric files...
Longer course you would learn more and also pay more...

Sorry to say but your reply seems a bit aggressive and I'm not sure it is going to encourage people to come and train with yourselves. Just my opinion.

Have to agree with Good Monkey on that.

sorry you perceived it to be agressive, as it wasn't, just like to be to the point anf truthful as its ok for others to be to the point on their opinions, even with some less than factual comments.
100's of top class geniune posirive reviews tell a story and busy nail techs earning £100's per week from the courses.

sorry you perceived it to be agressive, as it wasn't, just like to be to the point anf truthful as its ok for others to be to the point on their opinions, even with some less than factual comments.
100's of top class geniune posirive reviews tell a story and busy nail techs earning £100's per week from the courses.
it is best to go to college really where can get a good simple start

Indeed opinions and facts are two completely different things. My mom always said opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one but they don't hold much water:D (always made me chuckle)

From your posts I am assuming that you are a trainer with them?

After that post I wouldn't dream of training with top talons. She's obviously foreign or very bad at grammar! And top talons? It says cheap and nasty to me!

I think it speaks personal volumes when someone who has actually been on the course in question replies with their own perception just as nothingbutnails had done..
There was no need for the harsh post to her comment.

I hope the OP makes a sound judgement herself from replies she has received on here.

Personally I went the college route and loved it.

If you just get a "certificate of attendance" surely that's not sufficient for insurance purposes? And therefore a complete waste of time and money!

Now do not get me wrong colleges can fail but you get a pass with a city and guild qualification you know health and safety, prep , nail application etc it can take up to3- 6 months this is if it is part time education longer if it is full time to complete and you have 100% assurance you can out on the public and work on clients .I hate to be honest but you can not get that from a 1 day course:eek:

One day is not a 'course' ... It is actually a joke ! You might as well throw your money down the toilet if your end goal is to become a competent nail technician.

College 'courses' also vary widely in how well prepared any student is as the end of it, to go into a work situation so be very careful in your choice there.

As always, the best thing in life that an institution or company or even an individual can have, is an excellent reputation. It takes many years and allot of success under your belt to gain a reputation for excellence, so that is the first thing to check out when investigating your choices (which of course is what you are doing in asking the question in the first place).

Speaking in person with an individual from the place your are investigating, as well often gives you a real 'feel' for what a place has to offer (as it has even in this thread. :rolleyes: ) in the way of professionalism and customer service etc. Promises of great riches and making X 100's of pounds a day or a week are BS and appealing to people's vulnerability as well as taking advantage of their ignorance. Don't be fooled by that.

Go with reputation and recommendation from people who are satisfied customers. You don't have to be on this site for any length of time to see who has that reputation or where the best education is to be found.

Becky, you are not new to this site. I don't think I understand your original question. What do you mean you need pure practical testing? And for what reason do you need it? For a certificate? To gain insurance? I'm not sure what you are really wanting or even mean by 'testing'. Could you explain further?

Last edited:
I agree go with reputation and recommendations from satisfied customers...reading numerous genuine positive reviews from other sites not just on here to make your own mind up.
There will always be people who are not completely happy and numerous who are.
Companies countrywide offer one day training in beauty and nails and have done for years and years, this is not a recent thing
Commenting on the name of a Company and stating 'obviously foreign' is in my opinion- unprofessional (and a little agressive perhaps?)
Opinions are one thing facts another, make your own mind up not just from this thread about one person

I think it is fair to say, that whether it has been going on for years or not, most if not ALL of we who are highly trained professionals (and those doing regular on-going training to become the same) are in agreement that one day training courses do not a beauty therapist nor nail technician make. The true meaning of the word professional does not get accomplished that way and every thinking person knows it.

You have to have your grounding followed by lots of supervised practical hands-on experience under some guidance from either a mentor or regular assessments, up dates etc. How can anyone sensibly argue that compared to a therapist who has taken years to become qualified, others can begin to match that level with a one day workshop or even a series of one day workshops?? It is just insulting to those who are dedicated to their work.

One day workshops appeal to a certain type of person in my opinion; those who want to short-cut to appear to others that they have done more than they have. It doesn't work; they can't compete with the experts and they never do unless they change their ways and start to get educated properly ( thankfully many do just that as they realise what they did not know before .... That the job is allot harder and more complicated than they thought).

Short cuts make long delays, my friends. Don't be taken in. The only ones who really benefit from the one day workshops that promise you the earth and 'lots a money' are those running them.

One day is not a 'course' ... It is actually a joke ! You might as well throw your money down the toilet if your end goal is to become a competent nail technician.

College 'courses' also vary widely in how well prepared any student is as the end of it, to go into a work situation so be very careful in your choice there.

As always, the best thing in life that an institution or company or even an individual can have, is an excellent reputation. It takes many years and allot of success under your belt to gain a reputation for excellence, so that is the first thing to check out when investigating your choices (which of course is what you are doing in asking the question in the first place).

Speaking in person with an individual from the place your are investigating, as well often gives you a real 'feel' for what a place has to offer (as it has even in this thread. :rolleyes: ) in the way of professionalism and customer service etc. Promises of great riches and making X 100's of pounds a day or a week are BS and appealing to people's vulnerability as well as taking advantage of their ignorance. Don't be fooled by that.

Go with reputation and recommendation from people who are satisfied customers. You don't have to be on this site for any length of time to see who has that reputation or where the best education is to be found.

Becky, you are not new to this site. I don't think I understand your original question. What do you mean you need pure practical testing? And for what reason do you need it? For a certificate? To gain insurance? I'm not sure what you are really wanting or even mean by 'testing'. Could you explain further?

Hi Geeg, iv only just noticed this reply from you. Just to reply as iv started this post at the time I asked the question because the course I did I heard rumours that I needed to do a separate course either with the college or another provider to get my practical work tested or maybe I should use the word assessed. Top Talons looked like a place I could go to that wasn't too far, not too expensive and provide me with a cerci ate to prove I had done the practical side and passed.
However after much research I phoned my insurers (ABT) who told me the qualifications I held were suitable to ensure I was covered with Insurance and public liability insurance for working mobile and in a Salon. So after all that I didn't need to train with Top Talons.

Apologies for he words at the end of my post, using my phone and it wouldn't let me delete

a salon.

Latest posts

Back