TPTW ... Starting Up a Nail Business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
;) you insipire me so MUCH!!!! And Geeg's post are always so truthfull. Did you see the Rings they came out with??? Its in the Geek Gazette under something new we should try !!

I can totally see where you are going with this and in my dream world I would love to give up the day job at the nail bar and put my whole heart into building my own business. BUT - I am a single mum, with a morgage which still has the ex's name on it. I am wanting to get the house in my name only (which was agreed in mediation 4 years ago but to this day has still not happened), and to do this I need to have a regular income. I am currently turning the extension part of my dining room into a home salon, am spending more and more on my credit card in order to do it. I am prepared to work every evening and weekend on building up a client base. I just CAN'T give up the day job until I have some regular clients. My home is very much in need of being updated, due to the property part of the divorce taking over 5 years, and all this time I've felt why should I spend the little money I have on a house for "him" to get the financial benefit? Therefore it's going to cost lots of time and money to make it acceptable for clients to come into. I've already spent lots of money on training and products, and I fully intend to do more training.

I am lucky that I have a supportive boyfriend, but we don't live together, and I don't have the luxury of another income in the household to keep the roof over our heads. I am sure many others are in this situation, I'm not moaning, I'm simply saying that if I could give up the day job I would, but I have no savings, no other income, and my children need the support and security of their home right now (both hoping to start college September). If it took even just 6 months to build up a strong client base (I'm sure it'll be lots more in this current climate) then with no other income that'd be the home gone that I've struggled so hard for the last 5 years to keep.

What I'm trying so badly to say, is that where possible, I believe what you are saying is truly the best way to start a business, but it's not always possible.

Last edited:
When I first got out of school I worked in a salon where my boss took a HUGE percentage of my earnings despite me buying ALL my supplies and equipment. I told her one day that I was losing money in this situation and asked if we could discuss my percentage earned. She said "You can just buy cheap supplies and you will make more money." I was already frustrated with how money hungry she was and that just made me realize that money was more important than really taking care of the clients. I was done with her then and found a salon that cares so much more about helping me get started which allows me to buy good quality supplies.
I have been scared about taking this plunge from day one and am still scared, but I was getting no where trying to find happiness in a job before I took this plunge. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and hoping for different results. Well I made sure I did something really different and was hoping for different results. I think I made a good choice.

Latest posts

Back