trans friendly hair salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karen270669

Reaction score
Hello,
I wonder if anyone could point me to a trans friendly hair salon in the east midlands?
I,m not fully "out" yet but would love something done with my hair , yes it is a total mess .
My confidence was smashed a while ago when i phoned a salon and asked the question the reply was " oh we dont do weird stuff like that" alas i feel a little nervous about contacting anyone else .
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

karen

I've pasted this from an old thread along the same lines:-

I hope you have as good experience of service from a salon as I did with my one in Woodley, Reading.

I quite agree with the person who stated that your money is as good as anyone's, and I'm sure any professional salon would view things that way.

What I did was to first approach my chosen salonby sending the owner a polite, enquiring email explaining about my being a transgendered person and what I was hoping to experience from a salon. I explained that I'd be wanting to be treated just like their other female clients (and that included paying much more than the guys too! lol) and was looking for help and advice with styling etc.

The message of response I received was very warm and welcoming, which continued during my first consultation appointment (a hair treatment, cut, styling and hi-/lo-lites), and I've been back three times since. Only last week my regular girl gave me a lovely new style (having cut about 6" off the length) and I am really delighted with it.

I should perhaps add that when I have been for my appointments, I have been very dressed down and quite androgynous in appearance, I am not really seeking to stand out! (being 6'1" I do that already!), but they're quite a plucky bunch at the salon so I have no doubt they wouldn't mind if I turned up somewhat more glammed up.

I personally find my visits to my salon a near theraputic rest time in an ambient and hospitable atmosphere... In and out for a cut in 15 minutes and for £20??? Guys just don't know what they're missing out on! ;-)

I think the registration for college modelling could also be a good suggestion.

All the very best :)

Jaye
xxx

Hope this helps
Zoe

Hi there

I'm a salon manager in derby. We would welcome you in our salon. If we are anywhere near you, send me a message so we can discuss it further. Good luck Hun xxx

Hi I have had trans gender clients in the past! hair is hair and people are people! nothing wierd about u hun, everyone is different and nobody is better then anyone else!!!!!!!!! You would be more then welcome at my salon but i am in norfolk! I will keep an eye out for a salon near u! x

God, some people are just sh!ts, aren't they?
I'm afraid that you are likely to encounter the odd one or two of these during your transgender journey.
I have several TG clients and they told me about a forum where they can find out about TG friendly salons, etc. You may already be aware of it.
Rose's Forum Home

Shame you're not closer to me; my hair stylist is very TV/TG friendly.

Good luck, and try to rise above the idiocy.

i am flabbergasted at in this day and age, this was your response. wierd stuff indeed. i truly hope you find a salon where you are treated with the respect you and your custom deserves.

Hello,
I wonder if anyone could point me to a trans friendly hair salon in the east midlands?
I,m not fully "out" yet but would love something done with my hair , yes it is a total mess .
My confidence was smashed a while ago when i phoned a salon and asked the question the reply was " oh we dont do weird stuff like that" alas i feel a little nervous about contacting anyone else .
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

karen

I am so sorry for your bad experience. This salon deserves to be filed a complaint against! You have been a victim of discrimination and I am sorry this happened to you!

Hi everyone,
Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to this thread it has cheered me up no end! Also thankyou for the people that took the time to send me private messages. To the poster i quoted yes i could file a complaint but i hate to cause a fuss whether i have been wronged or not ! All i want from life is some tolerance i,m not even hoping for acceptance (set the goals low and anything else is a plus. I,m sure my money is as good as anyone elses? I guess some people have bigoted views and will always be that way, right i,m going totally off topic now so will shut up !!!

Once again thankyou one and all,

karen xx
I am so sorry for your bad experience. This salon deserves to be filed a complaint against! You have been a victim of discrimination and I am sorry this happened to you!

Hi everyone,
Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to this thread it has cheered me up no end! Also thankyou for the people that took the time to send me private messages. To the poster i quoted yes i could file a complaint but i hate to cause a fuss whether i have been wronged or not ! All i want from life is some tolerance i,m not even hoping for acceptance (set the goals low and anything else is a plus. I,m sure my money is as good as anyone elses? I guess some people have bigoted views and will always be that way, right i,m going totally off topic now so will shut up !!!

Once again thankyou one and all,

karen xx

Karen - I have found that the vast majority of people that I have dealt with in the beauty industry are trans-friendly; it's a real shame that you had bad luck with the salon who you called.

Hi Karen

I run a beauty room in Derby, you are welcome in my salon any time:)

Hi Karen

I run a beauty room in Derby, you are welcome in my salon any time:)

Hi !!

Thanks very much for your offer, i have bookmarked your website and will have a nosy.

karen x

Latest posts

Back