Treatment for SPD in pregnancy ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am really suffering with hip and back ache at moment, am waiting for an 'official' diagnosis but it seems to me its SPD The Pelvic Partnership

Basically I can hardly walk, don't know how im going to get through the next 2 weeks at work it is that bad. It would probably be less painful to throw myself down the stairs than the pain I have to put up with everytime I go up & down them :cry:

I have had a pregnancy massage which was gorgeous and felt fab at the time but after I felt no difference at all, I have been to the chiropractor and it felt better the rest of the day but then been the same (if not worse ever since) the doctor referred me for physio but this is several weeks waiting even as a priority case.

I am willing to pay for whatever treatment that works (prefably as quick as possible) but I can't seem to find much info on treatment apart from chiropractor which didn't help much, and I can't afford to pay £35 per session to see little or no benefit.

Does anyone know if reflexology or other holistic treatments will work ?

hi,
i feel your pain!! i had it during all 3 of my pregnancies, this might not be any help but i was given a maternity belt by my midwife which i had to wear everyday. it held my pelvis in one position and actually stopped the pain..
Other than that i cant help you on the treatment front as I never tried any..sorry
hope this sort of helps:)
xx

Ouch! been there and I'm afraid the belt is about the only thing I could suggest too. It does help and actually once baby's head drops into the pelvis the pain is more bearable. I'm still suffering nearly 4 years later as my pelvis is no longer alligned which puts constant pressure on my sciatic nerve. I see an oesteopath when it gets bad, but as you said, it's expensive.
try holistic therapy. I had crystal healing (thought it was a load of c*ap) BUT it only took ten minutes and I felt almost instant relief for the rest of the day, the following night and to be honest the pain is nothing like it was. I can manage it quite easily now.
Don't let skeptics put you off, if it helps then alls well, if not, well at least you tried.
Good luck
K

I got a belt too during mine. If your in that much pain the gp should sign you off work so that you can relax you pelvis.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have had this with my first and third baby. First I struggled on through it, some days good, some bad all dependent on where baby lay.

With my third pregnancy my son, I lifted a heavy box at 15 weeks and ripped it! Oh god the pain was severe! I had the bowen technique and it was amazing it cleared it up really well. It was never going to get better as my belly grew and it would never completly go, but I could at least walk without crying, and sit without seizing up.

I had to miss three weeks of bowen when I was away and then she went away and I went back to the same pain as before and couldnt even walk to the toilet!

It cost me £35 a week, and its a lot of money when your not working but it was worth every single penny to not be in tears all day. Its your health and mental well being, dont neglect yourself. Once babys out it goes really quick. Also if baby shifts it may feel better too.

I never found the crutches or the belt worked for long. Lots of warm baths and bed rest and some small amounts of walking help ease it along with bowen helped me!

Kate

I have SPD too, the hospital have given me a huge tubular Elastic Support its a tube bandage really but it dose help a little, but as for going up and down steps its still painful. I only have 5 weeks left, and hoping it clears up after, this is the first time I have had it, I really feel for you, it hurts so much when I go from sitting to standing too.:rolleyes: Good luck. Hope you find somthing that helps.

Thank you everyone :hug:

Am going to look into bowen and also reflexology which im hoping I can get on the NHS. One of my clients does reflexology so I will ask her next time if it will help.

Had to work today and it nearly killed me :cry:

I feel for you, I really do, cos I'm going through Pelvic Girdle Pain at the moment and I'm only 17 weeks!

I expect I'll end up with a support belt around my pelvis - apparently they work wonders.

Massage isn't working for me. Have you been onto babycentre.co.uk? There's loads of great advice on there. Gives you great tips in the mean time to help with your posture etc.

Take a look at this link. http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/pelvicgirdlepain/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back