Trying to lose weight with polycystic ovaries!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holistic2010

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm getting so very depressed with my weight, so sad right now :cry:

Any tips on what to do? I've tried everything I can think of....slimming world, weight watchers, hypnotherapy, Cambridge diet, nothings really working. Im currently on the Cambridge diet and managed to ditch 10lbs, but I'm now stuck and not shifting anymore. So blo*dy frustrating! :mad::(

I have also been recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees, suffering down the gym so had to give that up too! I'm a massage therapist, so on my knees all day :confused:

So I'm 33 and have osteoarthritis and polycystic ovaries, perfect! However I have the air in my lungs and on the whole very healthy, must be grateful xx

Anyone else suffer with the same condition? Please help, thanks xx :hug:

I feel your pain! I dont have the same condition but i have a heart condition, IBS and M.E (chronic fatigue syndrome). So like you i cant go to the gym, i did try for 6 months, 2 years back but id have days of crippling pain after even just a hour of gym so had to stop that. Ive also tried diets galore and i got to a point where i could lose 6lb but it would go straight back on even when staying on the diet. Like you i find it so fustrating because i honestly eat less than i did when i was thin, but with my illnesses i just pile it on. All i can say is to eat healthy alternatives where possible (brown bread etc) and atleast were trying even when not on a diet and eating healthy.

I have PCOS & find that a combination of healthy eating & exercise is the only way to shift my weight, before I got married I was going to the gym 4 times a week & cut out all junk food & lost 2 stone.

I'm pretty sure this is the reason I fell pregnant!! It kick started my system!!

Do you enjoy swimming? It's a good non weight bearing exercise

I too have PCOS and osteonecrosis. I found the Rosemary Conely diet the best, I lost 4 stone in 9 months. I love swimming but it makes my hand angry, maybe try something like aqua size? I love doing it and if my hand is not happy I concentrate more on legs. You could do it the other way round?xx

Thanks everyone!

I never thought about the rosemary C diet! Could be worth a bash....

I love swimming BUT the only time I get to exercise is when I'm not working at the salon, then I have my 4 year old to care for, wouldn't be a good combo, lol :lol:

Evening all,

Any tips on what to do? I've tried everything I can think of....slimming world, weight watchers, hypnotherapy, Cambridge diet, nothings really working. Im currently on the Cambridge diet and managed to ditch 10lbs, but I'm now stuck and not shifting anymore. So blo*dy frustrating! :mad::(

I have also been recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees, suffering down the gym so had to give that up too! I'm a massage therapist, so on my knees all day :confused:

So I'm 33 and have osteoarthritis and polycystic ovaries, perfect! However I have the air in my lungs and on the whole very healthy, must be grateful xx

I have pcos and I have lost 30lbs since having my baby 13 months ago and I really get frustrated with it sometimes because it feels like such a struggle.

I have lost the majority of it on sw because I just feel its an easy way to eat healthy and not feel deprived but tried Cambridge for 2 weeks (lost 9lbs) and now gone back on sw.

I was really happy to lose 5 the first week on Cambridge and 4 the second but it isn't anything I haven't managed on sw before. Having pcos its recommended to lower carbs so when following sw I aim to have more red free foods than green which seems to work well.

I know for me, that when I'm trying to lose weight and I feel stressed and down about it, the more difficult it seems to be and it just won't come off no matter what. I sometimes make the mistake of trying to eat little food and don't lose a lot but weeks where I eat plenty of free foods until I'm full I do really well.

I don't know if this will make sense but it does to me lol....I was trying to conceive and it was really stressful because it just wasn't happening and as soon as I stopped making it my main focus
And concentrated on other things I became pregnant. I now treat losing weight the same way and think to myself I eat to live not the other way round and try not to give 'diet' so much thought and only think about it when preparing my food.

I know its hard but you'll get there
:) x x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using SalonGeek

Magnesium and vitamin B6 are a great aid to pcos sufferers. Exercise really is the main key though. I can diet till the cows come home (and i meant diet, chicken fish veg nothing else!) but if i dont exercise i can put a stone on in a flash. The supplements really do work though x

I have pcos high protien diet is the only way I shift weight, I worked 12 hr shifts running whole time and didn't loose anything. Went on protien diet shifted 10 kg. Weight lifting can be detrimental to pcos loosing weight as we put on muscle easier and bulk up.

Thank you :wink2: I also think cutting out the carbs is the answer, but I miss them sooooo much!

Have you tried SW since the extra easy has been introduced? I have been doing it for 6 weeks now and have lost a stone already :) x

I also have PCOS, it's really hard to lose weight, I've just learnt to deal with the fact i'll never be any less than a size 14, I'm doing weight watchers at the moment, have you done the new pro points plan? Its so much better than there old plans x

I've been on weight watchers, and gained weight! So depressed.....I'm off to see a weight loss counsellor on Monday, I hope this will help :irked:

I also have pcos and at the moment the disorder is under control, which means that I have my period, no acne and my weight is where I want it to be. I have always exercised (I dance/teach) but without my diet being under control I can exercise how much I want without losing any weight at all :-(

With my acne the only way was medication (roacuttan) which was really hard on my body, but I am happy I went through with it. The best way for me to loose weight is to cut down the carbs (incl sugars!) and exercise. Weight- loss is slow, but it's possible! I am now 65kgs (170 cm) so dont give up!

I have read some studies on pcos and weight-loss and due to the disorder, we have problems with our metabolism at a cellular level and our bodies have difficulties in breaking down carbohydrates. This is also connected to insulin resistance which can lead to diabetes!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I also have pcos, like mentioned above a low carb diet is the most effective way for me to loose weight, when trying to concieve my 2nd i was so frustrated with going to the gym and dieting but not getting anywhere fast, I decided to do alot if reserch into how pcos affected my body and weight loss and discovered how effective low carb eating for pcos was, I lost over 3stone and fell pregnant without any medical intervention :) x

That is wonderful to hear! I too think the carbs side of things doesn't help at all.

I'm going to now make an effort to cut out certain foods to see if this helps

Thank you ladies, it's making me feel so low and I'm pleased to hear I've not been alone. :hug: xx

It is hard but if you're persistent it will come off :) at weight watchers people the same weight as me have lost twice as much in the same time, which is irritating but at least it's coming off...slowly but surely lol :)

Well done! Xx :hug:

Evening all,

I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS - I have also managed to lose weight (3.5 stone) through Rosemary Conley. The doctor told me exercise is key with PCOS as you need to eat fewer calories than 'normal' people anyway and exercise helps balance you and can help fight some of the symptoms (eg mood swings). The Rosemary Conley classes do not involve sitting around talking about food - they are an exercise class. You can also pay monthly and go to as many classes as you want. I would recommend the exercise route and let the diet follow.:lick:

Just to add - cutting out dairy is recommended - so switch to soya / goats milk. Cinnamon either in tablet form or 1-2tsp per day (I have mine in hot water with a bit of honey) has been proven to help with insulin resistance characteristic of PCOS which hinders weight loss.

I have it too and its all down to exercise and diet. I am on Metformin too but once get down to my goal will come off it.

I did buy a book which i class as my bible called "The Ultimate PCOS Handbook" by Colette Haris&Theresa Cheung. Its brill and makes you realise your not alone..some parts are abit over the top like not drinking tap water, drinking out plastic metal etc not exposing yourself to chemicals..which in its self is abit impractical in day to day life. However its a very helpful book and is on amazon.

I am doing very high impact exercise of Metafit&Kettlercise together(yes i am mad!!) twice a week. This excerise has transformed my weight and body

Latest posts

Back