Trying to set up a wireless router!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Linz

Reaction score
Right, well after about 3years of me nagging him, my dad has finally bought a wireless router so we will both be able to use our laptops to connect to the internet (currently, its only mine that will connect). But he's leaving it to me to set up as i know slightly more about computers, but not everything lol.

Anyway, he's bought a Netgear Super-G Wireless Modem Router (including a usb adapter for my laptop as i dont have wifi but he does on his). I've read through the instructions and it looks pretty easy to set up, but the instructions tell me that before i start, i need to:

'locate the ADSL configuration information from your Internet Service Provider'. Does anyone know where i can find this info?

So far all my friends that i've asked who are good with pc's, dont know anything about networks, so i've had a few blank looks.

Hiya hun, Im not too good with these things either, but i would suggest to contact your internet provider? I think they would be able to help you x:hug:

I got a wee man to come round and set it up for me. Took him 20 mins.

Try having a read through this chick, it should tell you where to find what you are looking for ADSL in the UK

I set up my netgear Router and the only thing I needed to put in was my email address and my password.

Make sure when you set it up that you click the highest level of security WPA and not WEP - this means that if someone pulls up in your street and wants to use their laptop, they cannot piggy back onto your broadband.

Hope this helps.

I had a nightmare with mine ........... In the end...............

Sorry to say ......... Handed over to a man ............ But only after 5 hours trying to do it .......

I had a nightmare with mine ........... In the end...............

Sorry to say ......... Handed over to a man ............ But only after 5 hours trying to do it .......

Wash your mouth out girl LOL

Thanks for the link pips :hug:

I set up my netgear Router and the only thing I needed to put in was my email address and my password.
I had a feeling it may be this, but i dont know what they are lol :o I'll have to ask my dad when he gets back, all i do is press conect!

thankyou geeks for your help, its all set up now :hug:

I regret I can't help you much, I've headaches with my own, but cross my fingers for you that it's sorted.

MY problem is that everything the phone rings, IF we answer the "cordless", the damn internet is interupted:irked: (which is high speed dsl via the phone line, with filters on the plugs)
If we answer the landline (the old fashioned one plugged into the wall) then everything is fine.

Anyone with an answer to THAT riddle?
:lol:

Hi Victoria. First off, try and change channels in the modem setup and see does that help. I think most modems are setup on channel 11, try a different channel.
However, your problem is most likely caused by your phones. Most of the older cordless phones operate on 2.4ghz and will interfere with just about everything else in the locality. The newer phones operate on a completely different frequency, so it might be an idea to think about upgrading your phones.

I regret I can't help you much, I've headaches with my own, but cross my fingers for you that it's sorted.

MY problem is that everything the phone rings, IF we answer the "cordless", the damn internet is interupted:irked: (which is high speed dsl via the phone line, with filters on the plugs)
If we answer the landline (the old fashioned one plugged into the wall) then everything is fine.

Anyone with an answer to THAT riddle?
:lol:

Hmm, is it just anything on Wi-Fi that dies, or is it the entire ADSL connection that bombs out when you answer the cordless phone?

If it's just the Wi-Fi that dies, then it will be what Seanny said about too many things using the 2.4 GHz band conflicting with each other, in which case changing the channel used by the wireless router could help.

If it's the entire ADSL connection that drops, then the likely cause is that electrical interference from the cordless phone is "swamping" the weak ADSL signal carrying your broadband from the phone exchange. This will be more of a problem the further away you live from the phone exchange.

Not sure how phones are wired in Canada, but in England, most telephone extensions have 6 wires, of which only 3 are connected; however terminal 3 (the "bell" cable) is only required to make very old fashioned phones ring, and is not connected at the ADSL micro filter, so can act as an antenna picking up interference from the surrounding area. We noticed a dramatic improvement in our ADSL performance when we disconnected this cable (I think it's orange with white stripes) from the master socket end of the extension. So if there was a Canadian equivalent of this fix, it might well help!

Latest posts

Back