Turned up with no money, told me after I'd started

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What gets me is why do they say they will pop their money in a later day. Way way back before I trained I genuinely forgot my nail payment once, was rushing from work and didn't want to make my nail tech wait. But soon as I realized I told her, and she was kind enough to finish the treatment (I was a regular) As soon as I got out of the salon I went to the cash point and straight back with the money. These people are rouges and thieves, nothing more to it than that. They clearly have no conscience.

I know i was just caught off guard and thought rather than enraging her by sending her home half done, i would give her the benefit of the doubt and see if she pays but the more i thought about it i realised she isnt going to pay atall. Iv changed my mind, i will pester her for that money because she will spread the word that im a pushover if i don't. Thank god for people like geeg to remind us all to toughen up lol xx

You could have asked her to leave you her watch/jewellery as a deposit, she would definitely be coming back to pay then.;);)

I know of someone who regularly went for nail and hair appts with no intention of paying. She's been convicted several times through the court for it - sometimes she did a runner and other times her bank card had no money and she promised to come back with the money and didn't. Makes you wonder how many times she got away with it and businesses didn't report it !

So, did she pay?

I too agree it's theft. Onetime a girl who was supposed to be my friend pulled this with me. She had wanted like 4 different sparkles on her nails, jewels the whole lot. Took me forever, it was a tough set. She was also a nail biter, at the end she said "ooohh ill pay you tomorrow". Then she wanted me to go and pick it up because she didn't drive, I said noo your boyfriend can drop it off to me at work.
Well finally she came it was gonna be a $45 set, she came with 12 bucks. I was livid, I said you need to pay me. She actully had the nerve to so,
"i need that money for my daughter, I can't afford it because im a mom you no. ooh you just wouldn't understand you arn't a mother. You knew I couldn't afford nails" omg I was so angrey, our friendship ended right then and there.

I have had a few other issues since then with people being a few bucks short but always get it in the next few. My policy is cash on the table before hand now. You gotta be firm, I agree with the ladies above me. Tell her the police will be called.
Could you go to a grocery store get all your grocerys bagged up and say "i forgot my cash, ill pay you tomorrow k" and walk out with your cart? Oohh no you can't.

Selfish idiots like this really grinds my gears!

Also she can afford to go shopping but not pay for her nails? what a peice of crap. Then uses her child as an excuse? I hate people like that.

does anyone use paypal?

they have a phone ap so in theory you can send someone a 'request for payment' to their e-mail address - so they can settle their account then and there if they have a smart phone and debit/credit card.

just wondering if anyone has tried this in practice and especially if it got you out of sticky situation with a client with no physical cash.

No she has still not paid me nor has she made any contact with me today

X

Time to let her know you are reporting her to the police.

I'm not going to involve the police but I let her know how much of a waste of time she is. Weird girl anyway barely said two words, must be what a guilty conscience does to someone. B% #@*!

X

I have an idea. My friend who does clients had this happen, it went on for 3 1/2 weeks! she went to the court house got papers for small claims court. She filled them out and served them...well 2 days later the money was in her mailbox and the paperwork was never filed.
I think you can mail papers as well, I dont know about were you live but here they are free. You don't have to get the police involved but your still getting the point across very clearly.

I think she's probably done this before and was counting on you giving up just like everyone else she's done this to. But if you feel comfortable with your decision, than so be it.

I, being an American, would hunt her down like a dog and at least slit her tires. :wink2:

Just sayin'.....

So do we take it that you are just giving up ? NO way would I do that. If you let this go that is a really bad business decision

As others have said this amounts to theft. You really SHOULD make sure you follow this through

I'm not going to involve the police but I let her know how much of a waste of time she is. Weird girl anyway barely said two words, must be what a guilty conscience does to someone. B% #@*!

X

Well if you are not going to take serious action, then how on earth do you expect her to pay up and know you are serious, of course she's just going to continue to be a pain in the a**.
You have made yourself look like a push over in the way of your 'lack of serious action' and she knows it and the risk is now that you could be inundated with non paying clients.

There is many things you can do that do not involve the police (even though I would at least go speak with them and see if they can help) but really, the police have bigger fish to fry, so they are probably not interested but,
you should have filled out a client consult form, so you should have her details (address, phone number etc) so your first step is a written invoice and payment with in 7 days, then if no response, send a reminder with a further 7 days and a letter saying if she has not paid in this time, further legal action will be sort.
Even if this legal action is not followed through with, there is no harm in letting it be seen that it might be.
I agree with previous poster, pop into your local court and collect whatever paper work you need for small claims court and if need be, send the invoice and a copy of these papers and let her know she has the 7 days to pay up and if not, here is a copy of what you will be served with on day 8.

The other issue is, I think you need to include something in your salon policies to cover this type of problem, prevention is better than cure.
Here is my bit of blurb I have in my policies to cover this situation, this (amongst many others) sits in a big list, that is framed and sits right behind my head on the wall, so clients can read it while having a treatment and I also have a copy of it attached to my price list, so clients can read them and know exactly where we both stand before their service.

Payments:

Payment is required in full, at time of treatment.

As to not inconvenience you or I, please ensure you have adequate funds available to pay for your requested treatment.
As you can appreciate, I am a business and as with any business, payment must be made in full at time of service.
No exceptions can be given in regards to payments, if you do not have available funds please inform me and I am more than happy to re-book another appointment for when funds are available.
If full payment is not made at time of treatment, appropriate action will be taken to obtain payment.

Payments:

Payment is required in full, at time of treatment.
As to not inconvenience you or I, please ensure you have adequate funds available to pay for your requested treatment.
As you can appreciate, I am a business and as with any business, payment must be made in full at time of service.
No exceptions can be given in regards to payments, if you do not have available funds please inform me and I am more than happy to re-book another appointment for when funds are available.
If full payment is not made at time of treatment, appropriate action will be taken to obtain payment.

You know what's sad, Wooshka? That you even have to have this as a WRITTEN policy in the first place. This is all common sense but people are always trying to get over.

It's a sad, sad world.

I have just spoken to her partner who gave a sob story and apologised said its his fault he spent the last of their money not realising she had nails to pay for. (Not that I believe this). I had my whinge I made him listen to why I'm annoyed and he's said saturday again. I said I'll take the payment if u don't pay then I won't be doing them again simple as that, they are cheap at half the price lasting the 3 weeks + I told him not to get luxuries if they are struggling and said I'm not a charity. When the going gets tough just hide behind the bf huh? Lol. Mines sick of me whingeing at him about it now...

X

Thankyou, I was going to draft something up like this for payments for new customers and just explain my reasons for it if anyone thinks its unreasonable.

X

I cant believe you are letting her get away with this, for gods sake just phone the police and tell them you would like them to have a word with her, thats all it will take. Word will soon get around that you give away free nails if you don't.

Latest posts

Back