Turning down spray tans, so frustrating!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugg73

Reaction score
I did my training last October and currently use LA Tan and Sienna X (although got samples from Nouvatan and can feel a change coming on!).

I've been mobile and tans were not my most popular treatment. I've now opened my beauty room and this business is picking up but people want tans that day. It's so frustrating as I'm a 'stickler for rules' and my insurance says I must patch test at least 24 hrs before and, as long as medical situation doesn't change, it is valid for 1 year.

I'm turning business away - tonight I could have made over £100. :evil: I refused because I know they have not been patched tested but is there NOTHING I can do? Does anyone have disclaimers - has anyone called their insurance company for advice? I'm with BABTAC.

Never heard of anyone asking for a patch test, I've had loads of tans. I don't patch test and I'm now checking with my insurers and I don't see anything about patch testing tan??? Tanning is my biggest earn and most tans these days are hypoallergenic. 😏 defo calling the insurers tomorrow to check, if not maybe you should change your insurance xx

I had a situation like this so I checked with my insurers and there's no mention of patch testing what so ever. On my training they said patch test people who are prone to sensitivity and people who have never used tanning products before. I've read advice on here such as patch testing on consultation and if no immediate reaction then go ahead but that's just what I've read. There's a lot of controversy on spray tanning and patch testing as you'll see here on a lot of threads. Xx

Babtac you need to patch test!

Could you change your insurance to a different company , I'm not required to patch test (thank god!)

Insurance is so much cheaper in England than Ireland that what you lost in sales today would have covered insurance would it not.

The company I'm with have a English branch that the same cover I have is something like £70 yet I pay €369 per year

I would see about changing insurance for sure :)

I do LOTS of tanning and only ever patch test if they have never had a tan or used tanning products. My insurance company do not specify that - I just like to make sure.

I've double checked with them too when I saw a thread on this before and definitely do not need to. BABTAC sound extremely thorough but that is probably a good thing xx

Just been through my documents and it has a whole section on patch testing and tanning is one of them. Going to call today
Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi, I have never patch tested and would not know how to. Do you just swab a little onto the client, and where? Cheers, Mick.

Yes you just swab a little bit of the solution behind the ear ;)

The patch testing for spray tans was the only reason I chose not to renew with babtac this year!

It was an absolute nightmare, as I'm mobile, and I lost a lot of business through it.

We were never told to patch test on my course!
Since swapping insurers, and not having to patch test, my spray tanning clients have quadrupled! And it saves me a lot of mileage & time!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Upon reading this i checked my insureres terms and no mention of patch test under tanning as i would be out of business what a pain this is going to become if all insurers do

I did my training last October and currently use LA Tan and Sienna X (although got samples from Nouvatan and can feel a change coming on!).

I've been mobile and tans were not my most popular treatment. I've now opened my beauty room and this business is picking up but people want tans that day. It's so frustrating as I'm a 'stickler for rules' and my insurance says I must patch test at least 24 hrs before and, as long as medical situation doesn't change, it is valid for 1 year.

I'm turning business away - tonight I could have made over £100. :evil: I refused because I know they have not been patched tested but is there NOTHING I can do? Does anyone have disclaimers - has anyone called their insurance company for advice? I'm with BABTAC.
You would be better off taking out another policy that means you don't have to test then you could tan without a patch test & earn more than enough money to justify having that second policy (until your BABTAC one expires then you can choose to renew and keep 2 policies going - 1 JUST for the tanning and the other covering everything else or not).
A disclaimer is not worth the paper it is written on, it actually means you KNOW full well you shouldn't be doing something but your going to do it anyway for the money & a court will not look on this favourably at all.

I don't understand patch testing every client for a tan as when I trained I was told a clinet can have no reation to a patch test & then react to the spray tan because it is covering soo much of the body. I only test people who have had previous trouble OR have sensitive skin in case they react to something in my tan (usually people that do react to tests are not reacting to the DHA but one of the other things in the solution so they need to try different brands until they find one that is suitable for them).

Thanks everyone - gave BABTAC a called and explained that Sienna X only recommend a patch test if clients has sensitive skin or never had a spray tan before (as many of you have said).

BABTAC have no solution for this - I MUST patch test or I will not be covered if sued. I actually respect their stance for professional qualifications etc. but this is a too restricting for real world tanning.

I didn't think I could hold 2 policies but will defo look into this as it is becoming an issue! Thanks geeks x

The patch testing for spray tans was the only reason I chose not to renew with babtac this year!

It was an absolute nightmare, as I'm mobile, and I lost a lot of business through it.

We were never told to patch test on my course!
Since swapping insurers, and not having to patch test, my spray tanning clients have quadrupled! And it saves me a lot of mileage & time!

Hi,
Could you let me know which company you use? As I I'm going to look into getting extra insurance so I don't have to patch test!
Could you PM me if it's not aloud on the thread?
Thank you. Xx

You can't have 2 policys covering you for the same treatment but you can hold 2 policys that cover you for different things.
So if you take out a policy for just tanning that would be who you contact with any trouble for tanning (claims etc...) then your other policy would be for all other treatments.

OR you could take out a different policy now that covers everything and cancel the BABTAC insurance as your not happy with their restrictions.

I am with Salon Gold and they require you to follow your training so if not taught you need to patch test then you don't need to patch test. If taught to patch test only sensitive people or those who have had previous issues with tanning products then that is what they need you to do.

Salon Gold policy is from just £47.52 per year if you buy online so cheap enough to have for just tanning given you lost out on £100 in a day by needing to patch test. This policy would cover you for most beauty treatments if you wanted to cancel the BABTAC cover but you would need to check that all the treatments you do are covered JUST to be sure. :wink2:

Hi,
Could you let me know which company you use? As I I'm going to look into getting extra insurance so I don't have to patch test!
Could you PM me if it's not aloud on the thread?
Thank you. Xx

Like baggybear, I'm with salon gold. So, if like me, you weren't taught to patch test clients (unless in the case of sensitive skin or previous reaction), you will not be required to do so for all clients!

Last edited:
Dear Ugg73,

Apologies for the delay replying to this; we didn't spot it on Salon Geek sooner. There are however a couple of things we wanted to highlight / clarify with you:

First, we do not require you to patch test for every spray tan; apologies that this has been incorrectly communicated with you. We advise in the Good Practice Guide to Patch Test for Spray Tanning 'According to Manufacturer's specifications'. This is because a tan formula contains chemicals which have the potential to cause reaction and the manufacturer themselves is best placed to assess the likelihood of this occurring. What this means is that if the manufacturer expects you to patch test every time, then we would expect you to do so because there is obviously an increased level of risk; however if they only suggest testing in the case of sensitive skin (as per Sienna X), then you are fine to only test in these cases. Spray tanning is included in the 'patch test' section, but not as a mandatory test; only as a test per the manufacturer's instructions. We apologise if this is not clear.

Second, reading further down the thread, this information has obviously been incorrectly reiterated by a member of our team. Do you know who you spoke to on Friday? We have re-briefed all staff to make sure this is not incorrectly communicated in future, however we will also look at individual training where required as well.

Finally, with regards to having more than one policy, this is not a recommended approach. Having two policies means that the liability effectively lies with neither insurer in the event of a claim and as a result you may end up paying twice for no valid insurance at all. Separate policies must cover different treatments or conditions entirely.

As an aside, when it comes to insurance claims, training will not necessarily be an appropriate defence; commonly accepted industry practices will be expected regardless of the quality of training as will an assurance that you follow manufacturers / product guidelines. This is to prevent poor quality training becoming a defence for poor practice. This isn't just a beauty industry measure, but a standard insurance practice.

Apologies for the confusion and I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Sarah
Marketing and Membership Manager

I just wanted to jump in here and make a quick point - when it comes to insurance PLEASE PLEASE check with the insurers directly. While geeks here have a heap of knowledge to share, the only people that can give you exact information regarding something as important as insurance is the company itself.

I understand that in this instance you were given some incorrect information, and thank you to BABTAC for coming on here and clearing it up.

I have been spray tanning about 7 years now and never patched tested anyone x

I have been spray tanning about 7 years now and never patched tested anyone x

wow that is scary and by not doing so you are potentially leaving yourself liable if things go wrong without the added protection of insurance cover

the patch testing must surely have been covered in your training :eek:

best get into it as soon as you can :hug:

Latest posts

Back