Ultra Seal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liane

Reaction score
Just bought IBD Ultra Seal after reading about how brill it was on here and after applying it to my gel overlays, it has made them dull and matt! I didn't use IBD gel underneath it but surely it shouldnt make a difference? I followed the instructions (its not rocket science!!) and instead of creating a "mirror shine" it had the opposite effect! Have I done something wrong? :sad: Anyone else had this problem?

I use Intense Seal by IBD I like it better. The dull shine may be caused by wiping the sticky off the nail (when its cured after 1 min.) with a already massy wipe. Try using a clean wipe fore each nail or fold over a wipe and use only clean side for each nail. Other possablity is not cured all the way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply FranJess, I used different wipes and cured it for the correct time. Don't know why its not working. Anybody else have any ideas? :wink2::wink2:

Did you wipe the sticky layer off staight away as soon as it came out of the lamp? Or did you leave it to 'cool' for a minute before wiping the sticky layer away?

Also, could you be applying too much or too little topcoat?

you need a clean wipe to cleanse each nail, i use intense seal to finish

Thanks very much, just a quick question, would you use Intense Seal instead of or over Ultra Seal? Sorry if it sounds a daft question but I've never used these products before!!

Intense seal is used instead of ulter seal. The shine is much better and its thinner.

Were you using the ibd nail wipes? I've found I cant get a decent shine if use different wipes.

I've never used the ibd nail wipes, whats the difference between them and normal wipes? Do you think this could be the cause?

They're really thick, like little spongey (don't think thats a word) chunks. Though I actually get a better shine on the ultra seal. I find the gel itself quite dull and the wipe just drags on it. Try dabbing the nail for a little bit first so the cleanser is pressed into the gel and try wiping it off after that, see if that helps.

Ah, and by the way when I first used ultra seal I was putting it on quite thick and they wouldn't shine up at all when wiping them and I was thinking about just tossing it, but if you put it on thinly by scraping a lot of it off the brush on the neck of the bottle before applying it really does give that mirror shine it promises.

aaaarrrggghhh !! Just used Ultra Seal again and it has gone all mat and dull on me again. I give up!! :sad:

Just bought IBD Ultra Seal after reading about how brill it was on here and after applying it to my gel overlays, it has made them dull and matt! I didn't use IBD gel underneath it but surely it shouldnt make a difference? I followed the instructions (its not rocket science!!) and instead of creating a "mirror shine" it had the opposite effect! Have I done something wrong? :sad: Anyone else had this problem?
I have a feeling your bulbs aren't good in your lamp and they're under curing, that would leave a dull or cloudy look. Try replacing bulbs or use other lamp ment for UV gels not UV top coat.:D

Do you really think this could be the cause?? Would I be able to tell if the bulbs needed to be replaced from doing gel tips or nno's? I'm happy to try anything and will look at the bulbs but I can't understand how dreadfully dull and matt this product makes my nails look when its ok on everyone else!

Do you really think this could be the cause?? Would I be able to tell if the bulbs needed to be replaced from doing gel tips or nno's? I'm happy to try anything and will look at the bulbs but I can't understand how dreadfully dull and matt this product makes my nails look when its ok on everyone else!

Heres a Tip for checking if you need to change the bulbs in your uv lamp.... If you remove the bulb and look at the end of it ( the bit that you insert into the lamp 1st) and this part is black or going slightly black, its a good indication that you need to replace your bulbs.

Also a point for the intense seal, this sealer has no tacky residue after it is cured, so therefore you do not need to wipe with cleanser and a wipe.. meaning it save you more time aswell.

Well i'm totally confused now!!:sad: As you will see, the above posts relate to different types of wiping the residue off but you are now saying there is no need to wipe them after curing at all!!! I'll try both ways!;)

Well i'm totally confused now!!:sad: As you will see, the above posts relate to different types of wiping the residue off but you are now saying there is no need to wipe them after curing at all!!! I'll try both ways!;)

you wipe with ULTRA SEAL after cure

you don't need to wipe the INTENSE SEAL after cure as it doesnt leave a tacky residue :D

Hope i have made this clear

you wipe with ULTRA SEAL after cure

you don't need to wipe the INTENSE SEAL after cure as it doesnt leave a tacky residue :D

Hope i have made this clear

How stupid do I feel now??? :D Teach me to read it properly won't it!! Last question, I'm going to give up on Ultra Seal, checked my bulbs and they appear fine. What does Intense seal do and what is the difference? Sorry to be a pain!!

Latest posts

Back