Unfair salon rate?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat Tov

Reaction score
Hi, I have been looking for nail tech posts in my area and bingo I found one! Except it advertised; Tech wanted 27hrs per week Mon-sat, self employed, 50/50 split of takings and responsible for own national insurance & tax!! I'd love to get a job doing nails but going back to Kimmi rocks thread about, what are your goals? It's just not made easy for us is it?? I need a guaranteed income to pay for the roof over my head etc. (House too small & no space to set up at home) but I wanna work doing what I enjoy! 50% split is rather steep I thought? I'm currently doing nails in the evenings in between my full time office job, (Boy do I get tiered & I miss my son) I'm dreaming of having my own salon - Just how is it achieved, I wanna know where the heck do ya start........... ITS NOT FAIR!!!!!!! :mad:

50% of your takings does sound steep. It all depends to on whether or not you are providing your own products, etc, and location is most important too.

It is tough starting out, in particular if you don't have your own salon. Don't commit to anything if you are not happy with the terms. Have you tried negotiating the owner down to a more reasonable percentage?

Hi

whats included in the 50%?? Does it include all your equiptment and products? All bills? regular advertising for you?? (how regular??)

A receptionist to take your bookings?

Would you be allowed a retail space??

Could be worth an enquiry you can always negociate.

I have just been offered a desk in a tanning salon that I go to, she only wanted 25%, any calls would get given my number and I would arrange all my hours and appointments, only prob is, the desk is a bit of work surface with two uncomfortable chairs, and no lockable cupboards ( I would have to bring my stuff in everytime as I have clients at home) I have thought of saying if she gets a proper nail desk, chairs and light I would go for it, but I am still not sure. I want to keep my money, but I want the exposure a salon gives you:(

If you don't ask you don't get.

Everyone seems to act like these people are doing you a favor whenthey offer you space. They are doing it because they want you and they want to make some extra money.

Ask for a nail desk and comfortable chairs or Buy them yourself and make the area nice and accommodating for your clients.

Any contract works both ways and all parties need to be happy or don't go there. Demand what you want out of the arrangement .. it is more businesslike too. You will eventually meet somewhere in the middle.

Latest posts

Back