Unhappy client issue and needing some advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMuggle

Reaction score
Sorry but this will be a bit long winded. I did a new clients hair couple of weeks ago ( mobile client). She wanted a t-line of caramel highlights not too blonde and NO ASH!!! and a cut. Her natural base was 6/7 with faded blonde on tips (level 9 old colour). Anyway I used koleston 9/17 with 40 vol & 7/17 with 30 vol alternating foils. Client said she was happy with result and I left. I receeived a message from her this week asking if I could do a few lighter highlights as she had 'lived with it' for a few weeks and felt it was too dark. So i replied saying no problem and booked her into my new salon yesterday. When she came in her hair looked lovely and she even commented that she 'almost cancelled s it was looking good today, but I think it's my new shampoo and conditioner'. did a consultation again and she even said she wouldn't mind paying a bit more to get it lighter. She went on to say that she wanted it a bit lighter and more at the sides. I did another t line alternating blondor with 20 vol and kp 10/16 with 40 vol. Brighter results and much happier. I only charged her for t -line. not blow dry and even gave her 20% discount (£32).
However received this message from her today and i'm pretty thrown by it. Can anyone advise on what they would have done or would do in this situation. never had this happen before.

Thanks for yesterday.

Got to be honest though Mary, unfortunately, I left the salon yesterday feeling quite p’ed off and more than a little taken aback that you had opted to charge me a second time on top of the £40 odd I paid a fortnight ago; this time for what seemed to amount to cost of a full head of highlights pro rata? - (I’m basing this on your website charges listed, the £32 approx you requested would equate to full head highlights @ £52? – 32 being the pro rata charge before allowing for the 40% discount that you are currently offering).

When I’d e mailed you to ask if you would mind lifting the colour a bit because I felt it was a bit too dark having lived with it a couple of weeks, I fully expected that when you agreed and said ‘no problem’ that this would be seen as ‘not chargeable’ i.e. that you’d agreed to amend the colour to complete the task ‘to the client’s liking’. I guess I applied the same reasoning that I would if a client of mine asked that I amend a task carried out for them that they weren’t entirely happy with; in that if I agreed to do it I wouldn’t think it acceptable to expect them to pay again.

I had said yesterday that I didn’t mind paying a bit more – meaning that if we deviated from T zone to half head for example I’d be happy to cover the difference. I appreciate that it’s not ideal to have to apply additional time to a task you think you’ve completed (for hairdresser or client) but I do think it’s reasonable to allow a client to take a bit of time to ‘live’ with highlights or a cut for that matter and in my experience most hairdressers will normally offer the option for you to return to amend if not happy with either, free of charge of course.
I have never returned for a re-do of highlights before personally so I even texted a selection of girlfriends who I know have been highlighting their hair for years to ask if they thought I was being unreasonable to expect not to be charged fully again…they all agreed that it would be reasonable not to pay full charge again for the same thing.

The other slightly worrying thing is that my scalp has been smarting quite a bit overnight and today- subsiding now but still not 100% – never experienced that before with highlights – I guess 2 lots in succession might do that??. Tried a load of conditioner this morning….perhaps you can suggest something else that I might apply to alleviate it – olive oil?

Would be good to hear your take on all of above.

With thanks and best regards,

Heather

Her message made me laugh. Ive never heard such nonsense.

After a day or two is acceptable if a client doesn't like their colour. Not 2 weeks. But I would still charge if they were not happy after a couple of days. It was her choice to go darker. No one elses!

I find her quite rude disputing your prices and how much you charged her and the fact she thought she should of got free redo after that amount of time. Why did she not say anything there and then at the time of payment Instead of drafting up an email?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

2 weeks is too long to decide she doesn't like it anymore. As above has said, 2 or 3 days is ok but a few weeks isn't. Did you reply to her? X

If she was happy on both occasions, with what you had done for her!!
If she wanted to change the colour/shade/depth, then that is her choice!! Our time doesn't come for free as stylists or therapists, if someone takes our time there is a charge!! I agree with the other reply, she is quite rude!!
A long time ago I worked in a restaurant & after serving the meals I went back & asked if everything was ok (about 8 ladies dining) all said 'yes lovely thank you' when I went back to collect plates they moaned and said it was burnt, my reply was along the lines of 'if there was something wrong with it, you should of found me & not finish the whole plate!!'
Xx

Unreasonable - she can't expect a 2nd application for free or next to nothing after 2 weeks!!

I think she has seen a different colour on someone else and fancied that instead.

I will amend a colour max 2 days after but no way 2 weeks later

Chancer!

I'd reply along the lines of...

I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy with being charged for the services I provided.

On both occasions, I provided the service you requested. I do appreciate that sometimes clients need to live with a new cut/colour for a little while and occasionally clients realise that the original look they've chosen might be a genuine mistake. I believe that happened in your case and so that is why on this occasion, I chose to offer you a discount for the second service.

However, charging for completing a service is standard business practice. I hope this helps to clarify the situation for you.

-----------------

Or something along these lines.

Do not apologise as you did nothing wrong!

She's trying it on if you ask me! It's the fact she suddenly mentions a sore scalp at the end! She should of said there and then I'm sorry I don't like it! And she picked her colour so she only has herself to blame! Some people are just rude and out for whatever they can get! It's like the yes shorter at the back like this etc etc and you keep asking you sure, like this, you happy! Then at the end complain and say they hate it and you messed it up making it too short!! Some of them really have no clue! What you going to reply? I wouldn't know how to word "your rude and your request I unacceptable so screw off" politely lol

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

Wow, I'm not a hair geek but she's completely chancing it! I would NEVER expect to go back after 2 weeks for a re-do free of charge. Stick to your guns.

Definite chances.

I would call, text or email is unprofessional unless they don't answer then message but more for the scalp mentioned.

I'd call and as above say you would like to see her in regards to her scalp as no colour touched her scalp you're unsure what this could be and maybe has an allergy to foils? But you need to see the scalp today in order to check and ensure next time her colour options may need changing if she is allergic to foils, maybe try the cap next time... She will soon avoid that idea I would think... Then go on to say sorry she feels put out by being charged a discounted rate for second application however it wasn't that you did anything wrong as during your first consultation she specifically said not too light, and chose her desired look which she was happy with, you understand sometimes people may change their mind a couple of days later but 2 weeks is too long. It wasn't a case of doing the colour wrong or not as requested it was down to personal preference this is why you chose to discount save her paying full price again so soon and didn't charge for the Blowdry.

It's like having a tattoo then deciding you don't like it and wanting it changed free of charge, or buying a top you don't like after a few weeks but wanting to keep the top still! Ridiculous. You did nothing wrong Hun. But don't ignore the scalp comment even though I don't believe its true x

She is being absolutely ridiculous! And also quite rude. I really wouldn't to now how to word politely what I would like to say to her 😄👊

thank you all for your replies and support. I thought it best to sleep on it as i was quite upset and hurt by her email. Having thought it through I am going to email her back as opposed to calling as I will get myself in a flap and don't want to be stressed over the phone.
I don't feel I have done anything wrong and as far as i'm concerned it wasn't a're-do' as she put it, as there was nothing wrong with the colour in the first place she just changed her mind. I only charged her a t-line with 20% discount, also her original colour was a t-line with a 20% discount too. my prices are lower than all the other salons in the area as I've just opened. It hurts to think what she has said to her friends. Colour did not touch the scalp but she has just changed her shampoo & conditioner!!. A polite email will be drafted with my 'take' as she put it and hopefully that will be the end of it but i will not be offering a refund. Thanks again geeks for your support, i will keep you posted. xx

Tell her to do one! (In a professional way) all the other responses from geeks were spot on! I'd drop her! Ugh! Hate clients like that! Freeloaders!

Not a hair geek but this lady is s complete tryer!

She has said herself 're-do' so how can she possibly say its 'completing a task'?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not a hairdresser but in beauty, being a hair client I would NEVER have the cheek or neck to go back to my hairdresser after 2 weeks of having my hair colour to expect a freebie, even if I found the hair colour I had chosen wasn't right for me, yes I book another appointment and I would expect to pay for it!! It's my choice!!
There are many people out there who are out to get freebies, she's completely wrong, sick to your guns girl, she seems like she's gonna be a problem client :(

Good for you 'MisssMuggle' stand your ground and stay professional 👌👏

hey all wee update for you. I sent her an email this morning based on what AcidPerm said I hope you don't mind).

I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy with being charged for the services I provided.

On both occasions, I provided the service you requested. I do appreciate that sometimes clients need to live with a new cut/colour for a little while and occasionally clients realise that the original look they've chosen might be a genuine mistake. I believe that happened in your case and so that is why on this occasion, I chose to offer you a discount for the second service.
However, charging for completing a service is standard business practice.
On both occasions you were charged for t-line highlight with 20% discount and not a full head with 40% discount. However, charging for completing a service is standard business practice.
I hope this helps to clarify the situation for you.

With regards to your scalp, with highlights the colour applied does not come into contact with the scalp therefor I do not believe this to be the cause of any smarting. However you did mention that you had changed your shampoo and conditioner and it may be your scalp has reacted to that. If your would like to pop into the salon I will be happy to have a look at your scalp and advise further.
Kind regards

Anyhoo she replied back with

Thanks Mary.

As service providers I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the concept of charging twice to complete a task to client satisfaction.

Best regards,

followed by

....also, had been using the products all week and no smarting - it started when I left the salon and lasted for the best part of 24hrs so can only assume that the likelihood is that it was in relation to the highlighting- subsided now so no need for visit to salon thanks.

Best,

Id maybe leave it then, you'll just go round in circles x

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

yes defo case closed. Thanks y'all xx

yes defo case closed. Thanks y'all xx
Only thing I would add to this thread seeing as it seems you have resolved the situation:

Make sure you mark on her client record card that SHE feels she has had a reaction to the highlighting.
If she comes again asking for highlights make sure you tell her she needs a patch test to check for allergy as if it was the products used that caused the 'smarting' then another reaction could be worse & you wouldn't want to put her at risk.

Hopefully that will make her realise that you are a professional who follows the correct procedures & always have her best interests at heart (& it might be enough to put her off returning, saving you lots of hassle :Love:).

Only thing I would add to this thread seeing as it seems you have resolved the situation:

Make sure you mark on her client record card that SHE feels she has had a reaction to the highlighting.
If she comes again asking for highlights make sure you tell her she needs a patch test to check for allergy as if it was the products used that caused the 'smarting' then another reaction could be worse & you wouldn't want to put her at risk.

Hopefully that will make her realise that you are a professional who follows the correct procedures & always have her best interests at heart (& it might be enough to put her off returning, saving you lots of hassle :Love:).

I was going to say exactly the same.
Glad it's resolved though xx

Latest posts

Back