Upgrading your Service

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydee

Reaction score
Hi, how many of you get 1 time clients that book with you for just a basic file and polish or basic manicure and never return. When doing your consultation and they say "I've never had my nails done before" or "once in a while". Are you upgrading your service for the client so that he/she has the full experience of having a damn good treatment that is going to show results and are you doing your best to convert them into regular clients. Are you talking your clients through their treatment and then telling them that they need to book in again in say 4 weeks and these are the products that you need to be taking with you in order to keep your hands and nails in perfect condition, followed up by "You may want to pop in in a couple of weeks to have a tidy up. What's your views on this...do you think this would work for you.
David

I think I need to do the retail course as I feel very uncomfortable with that. Although I'm a compulsive spender, I hate it when the tech/shop assistant is pushy.

I had a wonderful facial this week but was dreading going to pay as I knew the owner was there with a long list of all the products they'd used and trying to get me to buy them.

If I could think of a less obvious way of doing it, I would. Especially when you believe in the products that you use...........as I do.

I am lucky all my reshape and varnish lady's book to come back for that little bit extra.... But I do give them that little bit extra the first time round as you said upgrade a little..... If they have just a Reshape and Varnish, I add a little solar oil to the cuticles and a little solar silk to finish the quicky lol....takes me an extra 5 mins........ then let them know, that with a full service this a standard finish and to make a nice varnish look fab cuticles are like a frame around a beautiful picture.....make the frame nice and the picture will shine....

But I also add a little extra for my regular loyal clients.......not all the time, because sometimes they are on a tight schedule..... but if they look very frazzled because the boss is being a nightmare, I just give them a nice handmassage, add a little humour ; like now your hands are soft and supple, so no boss bashing and roughing them up xxx
Or the extra little gemstone......... what ever springs to mind.......... it never takes more than a few minutes to make a new client or old loyal client feel that little bit more special.....and the new client usual becomes a loyal oldie in time.........

That's a great idea Dee. Kimmi could you get over your worries by asking at the beginning of the service "IS this just a pamper and a treat or would you like me to explain how to best look after you nails to get them looking extra fab. I can advise you on the best products that are right for you to keep up the good work at home". You then have their permission to upsell.

However, how many times have you had your hair done (or nails come to that) and been disappointed that they haven't given you after care advice to keep your new red hair colour looking its best for as long as possible and offering advice on the right products. I know I have.

Also if your products are good and do the job better than what they will probably buy in Boots then you have a resposibility to offer it to them - it then becomes their choice.

However Dee I had the shock of my life when I was going through all my old consultation forms. I must have over 200 and a good 50% only ever came once. So does that mean they went elsewhere for their infills / removal, or did they just let them come off of their own accord and damage their nails?

Sassy #1 said:
Kimmi could you get over your worries by asking at the beginning of the service "IS this just a pamper and a treat or would you like me to explain how to best look after you nails to get them looking extra fab. I can advise you on the best products that are right for you to keep up the good work at home". You then have their permission to upsell.

QUOTE]

Oh yes Sass...............I like this. I'll try that one out. Cheers. xxx

Good question David :)

I'm not a natural sales person (I think they are born) but, in my experience, knowledge is what works.

The client that books for a small service can be so impressed with your knowledge and 'free' advice that they MUST come back.

The "are you going out tonight?" or "been on holiday yet?" doesn't work for me. Good, sound and educated help works every time.

i was discussing my problems in retailing with another beauty professional and she says she gets a good response by saying 'MOST of my clients buy this product to use between treatments' seems a good idea, nobody likes to feel like they are the minority.

just wondering what everyone else does...

when do you collect payment? before, during (before applying polish) or after the service?

when is the best time to retail? and do you have to retail before you collect for the service?

my "flow" is (for example, during a manicure) when i apply solar oil... or some of the different lotions, i'll mention that these are wonderful if you're interested in taking some home for "maintenance"... and i also try to explain everything that i'm doing, and why... then before I polish, I collect $$, then polish, chit chat for a moment, sometimes (because i'm a dud for a salesperson) i'll get a sale, and i will normally walk my client to her car and open her car door. (i've messed up my own nails SO MANY TIMES opening my car door!)

i try to make my clients feel special!

I think im a natural salesperson, someone told me i could sell snow to the eskimos once lol.

I have no problem sellin people a full skincare range for homecare use, or solaroil, solar butter and a treatment polish. I musht have a trustworthy face lol.

I honestly believe its not what you say its the way you say it. if you come across genuine and listen to the client, let her tell you fully what their problem is, then you can reccomend them the best products, and because they feel like youve really listened to them, they will most likely buy something ff you.

Im always selling solaroils and nail treatments to the hairdressing clients. then they either say "well would a manicure be beneficial" (OF COURSE!!!) or i advise them that a manicure would be a great start off to boost their nails or they take the oil and are amazed and book in for a manicure a couple of weeks later.

xx

...forgot to mention, My years at nails inc were so good for the salesperson in me, because that was all about sales rather than treatments. it was all about upgrading the manicures from £10 shape and paints to £28 heavenly hands manicure. Then an extra £10 for paraffin wax, plus £2.50 for french plus a treatment polish they couldnt live without (£10 each) and cuticle oil (£7) they needed to use at home, and top coat (£10) to kleep them looking good for longer lol. (prices have gone up by now id have tought!! this was 18 months ago)

I reckon the clients average spend for just a manicure must have been at least £50. and if they were having a full set they needed oil, topcoat, acetone free polish remover thats £20 quid addded onto a £45 full set!!!

Nailsinlondon1 said:
I am lucky all my reshape and varnish lady's book to come back for that little bit extra.... But I do give them that little bit extra the first time round as you said upgrade a little..... If they have just a Reshape and Varnish, I add a little solar oil to the cuticles and a little solar silk to finish the quicky lol....takes me an extra 5 mins........ then let them know, that with a full service this a standard finish and to make a nice varnish look fab cuticles are like a frame around a beautiful picture.....make the frame nice and the picture will shine....

But I also add a little extra for my regular loyal clients.......not all the time, because sometimes they are on a tight schedule..... but if they look very frazzled because the boss is being a nightmare, I just give them a nice handmassage, add a little humour ; like now your hands are soft and supple, so no boss bashing and roughing them up xxx
Or the extra little gemstone......... what ever springs to mind.......... it never takes more than a few minutes to make a new client or old loyal client feel that little bit more special.....and the new client usual becomes a loyal oldie in time.........

I agree Ruth, throwing in the extra little bit sometimes to regulars works a treat....

Latest posts

Back