Upper lip waxing regrowth

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carron

Reaction score
Hi

I've had a query from a friend.

She's bleached her upper lip for years and is now thinking of getting it waxed. She's wondering what she should do.

I've just started out and everyone one who i've waxed the upper lip has had it done for years

I know how some people think that it makes the regrowth thinner and others who dont think theres any difference.

I'm not wanting to start waxing her and then for her to say in years to come that she wishes she never started getting it waxed.

What would your advice be? Its something i've never noticed on her but if she's not happy with it then i'd be happy to do it

If you wax any hair it will always grow back thinner and finer, if not it will grow back the same and take longer to change over time as everyones hair is different.

It also depends on what is causing her hair growth, if there is a hormonal imbalance hair will grow darker anyway...

The only real risk of it growing back thicker is if you broke the hairs when waxing instead of them being pulled out with the hair bulb.

she's worried it'll grow back as stubble. i've never seen this before and don't think its anything for her to worry about

This question always makes me laugh. The question I would put to her is 'Do you want to be known as the woman with the bleach blonde moustache?' xx

hehe i think i might use your line!!

Yes I agree, bleaching your upper lip isn't good as soon as the sun hits your face you can see the hairs! Much better to wax it I do lots of this and my clients wouldn't have it any other way, I also do my own," practise what you preach". :D

She could also try electrolysis or Lazer.

Waxing is great for the upper lip,it will take about 3 treatments,spaced at about 2 weeks apart possibly 3, then once the hair growth is at same stage it will be easier to get all those pesky little blighters.

thats great info babs.

i've never had to do my lip, so its something i've not been able to experience and see for myself how it grows back

once all the hairs are growing at the same stage should it last a few weeks between waxing? at the moment she bleaches every week

Hi there, not sure it this helps but we've been taught at college that this type of hair is vellus hair and that waxing may well stimulate the hair follicle to turn it into terminal hair which as we know is thicker, darker and more noticeable. I know a lady that waxes and wishes she never did, she has a very thick, dark and noticeable mustache and now has to wax (or pay a lot for ILP). I'm quite interested in what other people feel about this as i am newly qualified and will be getting asked about this soon enough, well actually my best friend has asked and i've turned her down and suggested bleaching as an alternative as hers is not very noticable, have i done the right thing? Although i get the point about a white moustache totally!! Cheers all xxxxx

hi terrimouse

thats what i'm wondering. i've never noticed my friends upper lip so i'm guessing its not that noticable so i'm not wanting to start something and pull the fine hairs out that she normally bleaches

when i've waxed other folk you can see the thicker hairs and they have said that waxing has reduced the amount but they've had quite thick noticable hairs from when they first ever got waxed

i'm not wanting to get the blame in years to come when she says she wishes she never started waxing

Hi there, not sure it this helps but we've been taught at college that this type of hair is vellus hair and that waxing may well stimulate the hair follicle to turn it into terminal hair which as we know is thicker, darker and more noticeable. I know a lady that waxes and wishes she never did, she has a very thick, dark and noticeable mustache and now has to wax (or pay a lot for ILP). I'm quite interested in what other people feel about this as i am newly qualified and will be getting asked about this soon enough, well actually my best friend has asked and i've turned her down and suggested bleaching as an alternative as hers is not very noticable, have i done the right thing? Although i get the point about a white moustache totally!! Cheers all xxxxx

The idea that waxing or plucking vellus hairs makes them come back thicker is purely a myth that has long been promulgated in many colleges - whenever I've asked dermatologists they always say if anything regular plucking/waxing will more than likely lead to a decrease in hair thickness.

I suspect the person you refer to went to have their lip waxed because their dark lip hair was starting to become a problem, and I suspect the hairs would thus have got darker whether or not she had began waxing them. If it helps, in 13 years of waxing day in, day out I have yet to have an incident where hairs have got worse from lip waxing, they normally get less.

thats great info babs.

i've never had to do my lip, so its something i've not been able to experience and see for myself how it grows back

once all the hairs are growing at the same stage should it last a few weeks between waxing? at the moment she bleaches every week

Once you get into a cycle she will probably only have to come in every 4 weeks,some clients do have to come in every 3 but this is in extreme cases.

There are many reasons why the hair can change from vellus to terminal, it's more likely to be genetics,age or hormones or in one unfortunate clients case it was down to her pituitary gland which had to be operated on.It's not always the case that waxing weakens the hair but it is the usual case so I dont think there's any unnecessary need for worry.

Most clients see it as a godsend.Bleaching will take it's toll on your friends skin and what a nuisance having to do it weekly not to mention the fact that the hair is still there.Far better to have a lovely clean finish from waxing and it only takes a couple of mins at most to have done.HTH

Although this isn't a fact.........I have known women who's upper lip hair has started to grow darker stronger hair since being waxed........not noticeably though. FACT!

Another fact is that what they teach at college isn't always the case and I believe that each person should be treated as an individual and we should never assume anything. xx

Ah thanks for your words of wisdome guys you have given me food for thought too, isn't it amazing the diversity in training, like for instance on another note we are trained not to perm and tint on the same day, yet some salons offer the two together. ooo thats way this site is such a blessing, we can all air our view, thoughts, training and most importantly our experience on this fabulous site.
x

Ah thanks for your words of wisdome guys you have given me food for thought too, isn't it amazing the diversity in training, like for instance on another note we are trained not to perm and tint on the same day, yet some salons offer the two together. ooo thats way this site is such a blessing, we can all air our view, thoughts, training and most importantly our experience on this fabulous site.
x
(oops perm and tint eye lashes that is)

Latest posts

Back