UV Lamp advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailtastic

Reaction score
I need some shellac advice please anyone!

I have finally purchased my shellac products including the much in demand base coat, but can't get hold of a lamp?
So I purchased one from US, it arrived and it blew up because of the difference in voltage here!:cry:
Does anyone know if I can use any 36 watt UV lamp, as there are plenty on the market and what can the difference be between that and the shellac lamp be?

I have customers waiting and no lamp, any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:
I need some shellac advice please anyone!

I have finally purchased my shellac products including the much in demand base coat, but can't get hold of a lamp?
So I purchased one from US, it arrived and it blew up because of the difference in voltage here!:cry:
Does anyone know if I can use any 36 watt UV lamp, as there are plenty on the market and what can the difference be between that and the shellac lamp be?

I have customers waiting and no lamp, any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

I'm sure that you know that you can't or you wouldn't have gone to so much trouble to purchase from the USA .... BUT the good news is the Lamps (fitted to European standard) will be available before the end of the month.

There are many threads here onthe site that will explain the differences between wattage (which is of no importance at all in curing) and UV output, which IS.

Read and learn. It is our job .. we should know these things.

http://www.dougschoon.com/nailpros/article-ProBeautyAU_7-Secrets-to-Curing.pdf

Thanks that has made it super clear, brill.
Can you just tell us what the UV ouput of the lamp is we need then we can go and search for them.

Thanks that has made it super clear, brill.
Can you just tell us what the UV ouput of the lamp is we need then we can go and search for them.

You dont need to search .. the CND UV Lamp is made for Shellac and CND Gels. Made to cure them perfectly as the position of the bulbs is as important as the output. The Lamp is a five finger cure lamp ... bulbs are perfectlyplaced and angled for this. Patience and you will get it right.

Thanks, that sounds like you have just said its only CND lamps that will do the job. I have been very patient for many months but my customer base is dwindling rapidly having shellac done elsewhere.
In order to get them back my way again just need a little help with the UVA intensity measurement and then I am sure I will be able to source a suitable lamp somewhere. Sure I can craft a suitable handrest to attain the correct height.... thanks again and waiting with great anticipation for your help and advice.

The lamps will be in and availble next week. And yes, it is only with the CND lamp that you will be able to guarantee Shellac. That is what I am saying loud and clear. It has been said many many times on the site. Plus it is a five finger cure .. no other lamp does that. Saves loads of time and faffing about.

In the dim and distant past any lamp would cure every UV gel. The technology had not advanced very far.

More recently, UV gels have been developed with specific UV output in mind.

L&P in the dim and distant days, any powder could be used with any monomer. The message that brands should be used together and NOT mixed is beginning to get through.

It is time that the SAME message was being understood for the advanced UV gels on the market.

In addition, Shellac is a yet further advance and is not a UV gel.

Technology is moving on faster than the correct message!

The message IS: use the lamp recommended by the manufacturers for the product!! It is NOT a marketing tool to sell more products!

There are still many, many smaller suppliers who don't need to get this message across as their products all come from the same place and L&P systems can be mixed as can a generic UV lamp. It is these people that are suggesting that any lamp will do and suppliers are just trying to rip you off!

Why take the chance by ignoring your suppliers advice? Manufacturers advice is ALWAYS the only way to go and ignoring it may negate your insurance!!!

I use a 36 Watt lamp that is not CND and it works just fine. Sure, if you want to guarantee the Shellac system you have to use all of the shellac parts, I understand that. Just like the VW dealer wants me to have all VW parts to not void my warranty. I get it. But that doesn't mean other parts don't work just as well. It just means that VW and CND is not going to gaurantee me if I use those other parts. In terms of my VW- I follow the dealers instructions at least until my warranty is over. In terms of Shellac I know I can't complain if my non-CND lamp doesn't work right. That said I have had no problems with my non-CND 36 Watt lamp curing Shellac. My Shellac lasts just as long and looks just as beautiful! :)

The message IS: use the lamp recommended by the manufacturers for the product!!

Why take the chance by ignoring your suppliers advice? Manufacturers advice is ALWAYS the only way to go and ignoring it may negate your insurance!!!

This is exactly why, even though I am itching to buy Shellac, I will not until it all comes into stock at SS and I can buy the whole lot together. (And I am still really annoyed that people are allowed to sell out of stock stock on eBay!!!! :mad:)

Sarah. xx

I have been thoroughly entertained over the last few months reading the forum daily about all the ifs buts and maybes surrounding shellac and the associated items needed to deliver this product, even noticed that geeg got a little cross at times.
I understand all the concepts perfectly; the choices are use another lamp withoput guarantees or wait for s2 to get them in stock... if they cant deliver then source from another distributor ........ like i did.... ;)

Glad you've found it all so entertaining .. sad that with all your reading of posts that you have not been able to grasp the simple concept that what may appear to be cured to you because it is lasting. may not be cured and could cause possible allergy to clients through overexposure to product that may appear to be but is not fully cured. Is it really worth it?

Is it any wonder I get cross with the arrogance of those who think they know more than all the chemists and manufacturers who advise on these things?

No wonder one can feel like this :grr::grr: as I do frequently especially when those that 'think' they know and are more clever than those that actually do and start to give bad, unsound and unsafe advice to others.

yes its simple. yes I get it. yes I am a qualified chemist and electronics engineer so speaking from a very sound source... just happy to enjoy the forum and all its supposed to be for..... not to be rediculed or spoken to like numpties.....(great choice of words) enjoy being the voice of reason and if I find you ever have something useful to contribute in the future I may well write again........

yes its simple. yes I get it. yes I am a qualified chemist and electronics engineer so speaking from a very sound source... just happy to enjoy the forum and all its supposed to be for..... not to be rediculed or spoken to like numpties.....(great choice of words) enjoy being the voice of reason and if I find you ever have something useful to contribute in the future I may well write again........

Well with such impressive qualifications, perhaps you would like to share your knowledge with this forum?

Well you know what ?? You are not the only one with a university education and a background in chemistry .. that doesn't mean you know squat about gels or polymer technology. I listen to those that do as I'm not so arrogant as to think I KNOW MORE. I'm glad you totally get it, so much so that you have gone against all the advice of the industry leaders and world reknowned chemists, as you know better. Best of luck.

hi i also purchased a lamp from usa and its blown up on me. does anyone know if we can get these fixed. ive looked in the fuse part and glass is coming out but not sure if i can get a fuse anywhere and then try it with a converter or if its totally broken any ideas would be great to save me buying a new one

If CND say you must use there lamp, and you dont, and anything did happen to your client, say they developed an allergy or worse and tried to claim! wouldn't your insurance be void if you had used a different lamp?

My husband took my lamp to work this morning and an electricain has told him that it just needs a new fuse, after thinking I had blown mine up!
Will keep you posted to see if that is the case.
We also bought a converter to convert the voltage from US to Uk, not sure if you have one of those also?

My husband took my lamp to work this morning and an electricain has told him that it just needs a new fuse, after thinking I had blown mine up!
Will keep you posted to see if that is the case.
We also bought a converter to convert the voltage from US to Uk, not sure if you have one of those also?

Yes you will have to have a voltage converter. Absolutely must have.

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. :) I was very intrigued by the idea that one must use the CND lamp to achieve proper cure of Shellac. I have since switched to Gelish so the issue is not bothersome to me, but I still needed to know if CND's 36 watt UV light was so significantly different to cure their UV product that a similiar 36 watt UV lamp. As an avid ponder I have been using UV lights for years, so the thought that there was a UV light bulb with the same wattage as another but produced greater UV output intrigued me. So I set out to research this idea that has caused so much debate.

Consider this:

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]Types of UV light sources. [/FONT]
[/FONT]There are two primary types of UV light sources in use today. The first and most widely used are the low-pressure class of lamps that produce virtually all of their UV output at a wavelength of 254-nano meters. These low-pressure classes of lamps generally can convert up to 40% of their input watts into usable UV-C watts.I.e. a 150-watt low-pressure lamp will have approximately 58-watts of UV-C power. Low-pressure lamps are typically run at low input power currents,200 to 1,500 milliamps and operate at temperatures between 100 and 200 degrees F. This class of lamp generally has a useful life of 8,000 to 12,000 hours, depending on operating current of the lamp.

The second type is known as the medium and high-pressure class of lamps. This class of lamps produces a very wide range of wavelengths, 100-nano meters to greater than 700-nano meters, which is well into the visible light spectrum. They generally only convert up to 7% of their input watts into usable UV-C watts. I.e. a 175-watt medium-pressure lamp will have approximately 12-watts of UV-C power, while the remaining 163-watts are converted into heat and visible light. Medium and high-pressure lamps are typically run at high-input power currents of 2,000 to 10,000 milliamps, and operate at temperatures between 932 and 1,112 degrees F. This class of lamps generally has a useful life of only 1,000 to 2,000 hours, depending on the lamps operating current. (I gathered this info from Steve Zimmerman of emperor Aquatics).

So my research thus far has not shown that any 9 watt low pressure UV bulb produces more UV output then another. Generally they all convert approximately 38% of their input watts into usable UV-C watts. So if anyone can show how the 9 watt UV bulbs that CND uses in their lamps produce more usable UV-C watts then please post that information and the source so that I may be enlightened. I would definately be very interested in that information.

With that said I am sure that there are differences in the quality of the houses that box the lights in general. And CND may be superior in that aspect.

Regards.

There are high UV emission bulbs and Low UV emission bulbs and they both work off 36 watts which is the amount of electricity needed to power the lamp. Using a weaker light with less UV light output will under-cure Shellac.

Then there is the placement of the bulbs in the lamp so that the hand or foot will be in the centre where the highest UV output is found.

Then there is the distance of the fingers from the light which has to be considered.

Then there is the convenience and the placement of the bulbs to ensure a 5- finger (whole hand) cure of all nails with the thumbs being at a different angle.

To ensure all these things CND have produced the perfect lamp, placement, UV output, distance etc to ensure a complete cure of Shellac.

Then there is this which your research should have found first.

http://www.dougschoon.com/nailpros/article-ProBeautyAU_7-Secrets-to-Curing.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back