UV Lamp advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look ... I was not the one who put the work in to bust this person ... it was one of the other moderators whose name rhymes with 'sleuth' lol. She deserves the credit not I.

I just had the pleasure of telling the poster what I thought and pointing out that we were on to it. :hug:

Last edited:
Look ... I was not the one who put the work in to bust this numpty ... it was one of the other moderators whose name rhymes with 'sleuth' lol. She deserves the credit not I.

I just had the pleasure of telling the plonker what I thought of him and pointing out that we were on to it. :hug:

Ok Well done rhymes with Sleuth fab job hunny xxxxxx:hug:

Don't be fooled. Wattage is a measure of how much power a UV lamp consumes and NOT how much UV light the bulb produces. The amount of UV light produced by a UV nail lamp depends on many factors, e.g. type and manufacturer of the bulb, number of bulbs, electronics components used, type of reflectors used, placement of the fingers in the light, distance between the bulbs and fingers and many other factors. A properly designed UV gel product is created to work with a specific UV lamp design. I've discussed these issues in my article "7 Secrets to Curing UV Gel Nails", www. DougSchoon.com.

There will always be people who ignore manufacturer's instructions, at their own risk. I have measured the UV output of various UV lamps in the industry and they vary widely, not just because of the bulbs, but the "electronics" that drive the lamp. Different components and combination of components push these bulbs differently to create UV light. There is even a difference between different UV bulb manufacturers.

If you think that you can tell how much a UV light a UV nail lamp produces by looking at it, or counting the bulbs or adding up the wattages, you are just fooling yourself and doing your clients a disservice. Don't second guess the experts that designed the systems for you. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't like the UV lamp, don't use the UV gel. It's that simple.
Doug Schoon
Chief Scientific Advisor
Creative Nail Design, Inc.

Thanks Doug X -- as always you are a star.

Thank you for giving up time in your incredibly busy schedule to explain. I have copied and posted your 7 secrets so many times I can type the link without looking it up. lol

Some people just won't listen and always think they know it all or want GOD to convince them of what is true .. well I guess you are GOD in this sense :lol: Lots of love, Gigi

Last edited:
Don't be fooled. Wattage is a measure of how much power a UV lamp consumes and NOT how much UV light the bulb produces. The amount of UV light produced by a UV nail lamp depends on many factors, e.g. type and manufacturer of the bulb, number of bulbs, electronics components used, type of reflectors used, placement of the fingers in the light, distance between the bulbs and fingers and many other factors. A properly designed UV gel product is created to work with a specific UV lamp design. I've discussed these issues in my article "7 Secrets to Curing UV Gel Nails", www. DougSchoon.com.

There will always be people who ignore manufacturer's instructions, at their own risk. I have measured the UV output of various UV lamps in the industry and they vary widely, not just because of the bulbs, but the "electronics" that drive the lamp. Different components and combination of components push these bulbs differently to create UV light. There is even a difference between different UV bulb manufacturers.

If you think that you can tell how much a UV light a UV nail lamp produces by looking at it, or counting the bulbs or adding up the wattages, you are just fooling yourself and doing your clients a disservice. Don't second guess the experts that designed the systems for you. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't like the UV lamp, don't use the UV gel. It's that simple.
Doug Schoon
Chief Scientific Advisor
Creative Nail Design, Inc.

Amen!

Fab ...................... :lol:

I think some of the posts here have been very unprofessional and very immature.

I would LOVE to use my Shellac but can't get the lamp for obvious reasons!

I did, however, use it on my own hands (never a client) and cure with my NSI lamp and although the fingers cured OK'ish, the side walls didnt and the gel on my thumb started rippling, so obviously undercured.

I'm praying that they come in next week as a) I'll be able to cure all 5 fingers, b) there's a timer on it and c) I'll be finally able to use my Shellac and order some more colours.

Fingers crossed!!! :D

i am wondering if it was mine you find unprofessional ?? :confused: ... if so then sorry but ...
how about you have a go at the person sellin much needed stock on bloomin ebay .. that imo is the height of unprofessionalism .. when techs that need it are stuck because people go out and buy shed loads and sell it on ebay to make a fast buck ... thats not what most of us on here would do we all know everyone has a need so most of us share .. and if someone doesnt have anything then most of us will help out with each other where we can ...
for instance i can get shellac here .. but have i gone and bought loads and put it on ebay ?? .. nope .. i would gladly bring some back with me for my tech friends however but i wouldnt be selling it at a different price they would pay what i paid .. end of

if you find my post offensive then i am really sorry it was a joke to chill everyone out ...:lol:

To provide a bit of well earned support here:

Tiotoze, I think that was a series of totally unnecessary comments! To personally be offensive to someone in public is, in my book, unforgivable! For someone who had posted over 18,000 posts on here and is there to help anyone, not all of the people will like what they read all of the time!

Your comments were neither constructive, educational nor polite in any shape or form. I hope by the time this post goes up yours has been deleted.

Dee, that was a great lightener to a very tricky thread. A thread that just demonstrates how many unpleasant people there are in this world. Don't be apologetic about it. There are many other apologies that should be forthcoming (but I won't hold my breath!)

i think this fits quite well , :lol:

YouTube - Phineas and Ferb - Busted song

good job sleuth x

LMFAO love it!

I think some of the posts here have been very unprofessional and very immature.

This started as a debate to find an answer, and turned into a S**t slinging contest.
When people start S**t-slinging contests, they will usually find that as they pick it up to throw it, most of it sticks to them..............
I call it as I see it.

To provide a bit of well earned support here:

Tiotoze, I think that was a series of totally unnecessary comments! To personally be offensive to someone in public is, in my book, unforgivable! For someone who had posted over 18,000 posts on here and is there to help anyone, not all of the people will like what they read all of the time!

Your comments were neither constructive, educational nor polite in any shape or form. I hope by the time this post goes up yours has been deleted.

Dee, that was a great lightener to a very tricky thread. A thread that just demonstrates how many unpleasant people there are in this world. Don't be apologetic about it. There are many other apologies that should be forthcoming (but I won't hold my breath!)

well said mum
I hope her posts stay there just to show to others how NOT to act on this forum.

I hope her posts stay there just to show to others how NOT to act on this forum.

She had the cheek to have a go at Geeg over the site rules too... a very foolish thing to do, never argue with the Grand Geek's mother in law ;)

She had the cheek to have a go at Geeg over the site rules too... a very foolish thing to do, never argue with the Grand Geek's mother in law ;)

LOL Don't think you're helping Ruth :smack::lol:

I totally agree with the sentiment of selling professional products on ebay, but I think the debate that ensued about the relevance of using a different lamp other than the CND one for Shellac, and asking for proof was justified, if only for the professionals to explain exactly why this should be the case in order to educate other people who would be tempted to go ahead and buy a cheaper lamp.

I apologise for any offence that I may have caused, but there are two separate issues here. Firstly the issue of going against manufacturer's guidelines, and secondly the ebay issue.

Having now read the geek rules, I think a few people, myself included, have broken these, even if they thought there was a valid reason. I give you all, and especially Geeg my apology for that.

I totally agree with the sentiment of selling professional products on ebay, but I think the debate that ensued about the relevance of using a different lamp other than the CND one for Shellac, and asking for proof was justified, if only for the professionals to explain exactly why this should be the case in order to educate other people who would be tempted to go ahead and buy a cheaper lamp.

I apologise for any offence that I may have caused, but there are two separate issues here. Firstly the issue of going against manufacturer's guidelines, and secondly the ebay issue.

Having now read the geek rules, I think a few people, myself included, have broken these, even if they thought there was a valid reason. I give you all, and especially Geeg my apology for that.

Those that argued uncessarily about the lamps forget that we are the TECHS and not the scientists so we are not USUALLY in a position to answer the type of questions asked although we DID refer to a reliable source who generously gave of his time to post here.

It takes a BIG person to apologize, I have to recognize that.

While many of us broke rules... while there is no 'excuse', I must argue that there was INDEED a VALID reason for some of us because there is no justifiable excuse why my peers and mentors were disrespected and treated so abysmally and I am well known for speaking my mind and I will NEVER EVER tolerate anyone trashing them.

I am thankful for every single moment of their time that has turned me into the tech that I am today; without them, I would not be here. They are not only my mentors and teachers, but VALUED FRIENDS!!
That said..... I will thrash anyone that dares to step on them.

The thing, Sandra, that maybe you do not understand, being relatively new to salongeek, is that this topic has been explained again and again and AGAIN. I personally have posted links to Dougs articles with clear and precise explanations from him .. time and time and time again.

People don't read or don't listen or don't do a search, before they post, and read these things. Even in this thread I posted links to Dougs articles as well as patiently AGAIN explaining myself, exactly what Doug later posted.

It does get a tad wearing and particularly so when the person asking for explanations yet again, is a fleabay seller who has no business here in the first place and has been selling lamps, or directing people to buy lamps, that will not cure the diverted products he/she is selling ... it is downright dishonest not to say potentially dangerous.

Last edited:
To be honest I couldn't give a flying feck about the UV output or why we really need to know!!!:rolleyes:
I am a Beauty Therapist not a Scientist!:lol:

If you don't like the UV lamp, don't use the UV gel. It's that simple.
Doug Schoon

I totally agree with both of these statements. Shame on OPBUSTED SONG - by phineas & ferb ends this post perfectly.

If you don't like the UV lamp, don't use the UV gel. It's that simple.
Doug Schoon

I totally agree with both of these statements. Shame on OPBUSTED SONG - by phineas & ferb ends this post perfectly.

I think the poster was meaning she uses what she's told and doesn't question it as she trusts the nformation she is given by the experts.

It's a generous spirit that genuinely apologises so I'm happy you did that Tiptoze.

Ruth, I hope you didn't misunderstand my post?! I was taking the mickey :smack: (in a nice way :hug:)

Can this thread come to its natural conclusion now? The answer 'is clear....'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back