UV Lamp advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I couldn't give a flying feck about the UV output or why we really need to know!!!:rolleyes:

I bought 2 new CND lamps (now I have 6 lamps in total) and they are the best lamps I have invested in , they give me a 5 finger cure with easy timers and they are easily sanitised and provide me with what I need to do a speedy and a great job! What more do I need??????????????:eek:

so for me that is all that matters I am a Beauty Therapist not a Scientist!:lol:

Alleluia!!! :hug:

Hey as made famous by a certain advert on tv.
If you want to talk about science stuff go to www.sciencegeek.com if you want to learn about the beauty industry and partake in a forum for beauty professionals go to salongeek.com.
SIMPLES!:green: cant do the little squeak at the end Im sorry!!!

Last edited:
because ruth is such a geek :hug: she will try it , lmao its her nature anything computers and she will have a look haah xx

Alleluia!!! :hug:

Thanks and it really is much appreciated when someone "gets me" but that's not why I posted I seriously am pissed off with the why's and wherefors its a bloody great lamp so that's all I am interested in xxxxx

Last edited:
Alexgem7777:I gathered this info from Steve Zimmerman of emperor Aquatics).
Now I found this interesting as it really supports our view with regards to UV light sources and what we as Nail Technicians have to consider: We need consider the gel's components and ingredients in order to establish a full cure.....or the need for it to cure sucessfully. Steve Zimmer's report on page 3-4 outlines the importance of choosing the correct bulb, length of bulb, the physical design of the UV's water exposure chamber aso.So to make it easy just substitute algea, water density, Flow rate, water condition, micro organisms aso for Photo initiators, product ingredients, placement of bulbs in the UV lamp unit, aso and then you are pretty much there........So not any old lamp from Sallys will do the job for Shellac...nor stuff from Ebay either..

Steve Zimmer also wrote this:
The condition of the water to be treated. This is one of the most critical factors when trying to
determine the ability of a UV Sterilizer to treat a given volume of water, and is also the most overlooked
factor by many manufacturers. Regardless of the type of UV light source used, any body of water with
impurities will adsorb UV energy. The impurities of interest to us in the pond hobby are algae and
waterborne microorganisms. Green water, as it is known, will absorb the UV energy emitted by our UV
light source in proportion to its density (how green the water is). The greater the amount of algae in the
water, the greater the reduction in percent (%) transmittance. It is this reduction in % transmittance of the
UV light that will determine how effective the UV Sterilizer will be in dealing with the algae problem. If the
UV sterilizer's water flow rates have not been calculated with a reduced % transmittance rate then the unit
will have considerable trouble dealing with a pond that is suffering from an algae bloom.

Water flow rate through the UV's contact chamber. As mentioned earlier there are many criteria that
should be considered when designing a UV Sterilizer. The basic criteria for a sound design of UV
Sterilizers, revolves around a careful selection of lamp type, lamp length, lamp position, and body
diameter. These factors coupled together with the intended water flow rate, % transmittance of the water
to be treated, and the required UV dose rate to kill the targeted microorganism, should be the basis for
your decision when purchasing a unit for your pond. When you are researching which type
of UV Sterilizer to purchase, remember the criteria laid out in this article, read the manufacturer's
literature, ask questions, but most of all ask yourself, does this information make sense? If not,
consider another UV manufacturer.
Emperor Aquatics,

Just my thoughts and findings xxxx

Now I found this interesting as it really supports our view with regards to UV light sources and what we as Nail Technicians have to consider: We need consider the gel's components and ingredients in order to establish a full cure.....or the need for it to cure sucessfully. Steve Zimmer's report on page 3-4 outlines the importance of choosing the correct bulb, length of bulb, the physical design of the UV's water exposure chamber aso.So to make it easy just substitute algea, water density, Flow rate, water condition, micro organisms aso for Photo initiators, product ingredients, placement of bulbs in the UV lamp unit, aso and then you are pretty much there........So not any old lamp from Sallys will do the job for Shellac...nor stuff from Ebay either..

Just my thoughts and findings xxxx

Yes.....as an avid ponder I have used UV lights for years (as I said in my first post :)) and the basic principal of UV light emissions does not change even though the applications may be different.

The point I was trying to get across.......(and really kind of shocked that it was so hard to get across) is that the CND 36 watt light is really not SIGNIFINCANTLY different from many 36 watt tunnel UV lamps that are currently on the market. And when other similiar UV lights are used to cure Shellac there should be a good outcome.

Over and over I read when someone has a problem that perhaps it is due to not using the CND lamp. Even accusations that if not using the proper CND lamp that the Shellac may be under cured and cause the client allergies. It seems someone heard and read it and then it keeps getting repeated. I want facts please.

Anyways.......I am glad I can think outside the box. I choose not to drink the Kool Aid. If someone says I MUST use something exlusively when there are other very similiar products at a much lower price I will want to know if the exlusive product is better. I will ask for proof. But that is what is great about being me. I also don't feel threatened or respond angrily when someone asks questions I don't like, or has a different opinion then I do. I really feel I have experienced the true culture of this forum. It seems agree with us or be attacked. I was never rude, or cocky and just asked for facts to back up claims. And the previous post just makes me understand that there are many people who cannot think outside the box at all (although I was impressed with one response in which the poster expressed herself in an articulate and nonjudgmental manner. I love poise.) BTW- I actually like Shellac and CND has received a good chunk of change from me. God bless and have a great day.

Yes.....as an avid ponder I have used UV lights for years (as I said in my first post :)) and the basic principal of UV light emissions does not change even though the applications may be different.

The point I was trying to get across.......(and really kind of shocked that it was so hard to get across) is that the CND 36 watt light is really not SIGNIFINCANTLY different from many 36 watt tunnel UV lamps that are currently on the market. And when other similiar UV lights are used to cure Shellac there should be a good outcome.

Over and over I read when someone has a problem that perhaps it is due to not using the CND lamp. Even accusations that if not using the proper CND lamp that the Shellac may be under cured and cause the client allergies. It seems someone heard and read it and then it keeps getting repeated. I want facts please.

Anyways.......I am glad I can think outside the box. I choose not to drink the Kool Aid. If someone says I MUST use something exlusively when there are other very similiar products at a much lower price I will want to know if the exlusive product is better. I will ask for proof. But that is what is great about being me. I also don't feel threatened or respond angrily when someone asks questions I don't like, or has a different opinion then I do. I really feel I have experienced the true culture of this forum. It seems agree with us or be attacked. I was never rude, or cocky and just asked for facts to back up claims. And the previous post just makes me understand that there are many people who cannot think outside the box at all (although I was impressed with one response in which the poster expressed herself in an articulate and nonjudgmental manner. I love poise.) BTW- I actually like Shellac and CND has received a good chunk of change from me. God bless and have a great day.

Oh yes indeedy and you in turn have been selling it on Ebay haven't you? AND telling your buyers that they can use any old lamp from any old place, so it suits your purpose to spout off on here and try to cause trouble. Frankly I wouldn't waste another nano second of my time on a person like yourself and now that you have been busted here in public I really hope you won't spend anymore of your time here.

Nice one Geeg! Excellent start to the day! :hug:

Nice one Geeg! Excellent start to the day! :hug:

I thought so!! :lol: This person is a registered Ebay seller and has been doing just that ... selling Shellac to anyone while the rest of us putting food into our mouths with a business are going short! WE have some very talented mods on this site ... not much gets past the team.

Without wanting to highjack this thread I just want to say that Doug Schoon's article at the beginning of this thread explains very clearly and simply why specific lamps cure specific products. If people read it properly they would understand that wattage is the amount of electricity required to make the bulbs work and it is the amount of UV-A emitted that is important.

I too am a scientist and currently work in research and development and can fully appreciate that a tiny difference or change can make a very big difference to the end result. I too have wondered weather any old lamp would do to cure Shellac but after reading the article and this thread, when I qualify, I will be purchasing the correct lamp:). I would be mortified if as a result of my actions somebody got hurt, aside from the product not performing as it should. I think people sometimes forget that we are dealing with peoples bodies and we should act responsibly and with a duty of care to not ever knowingly do something that can hurt someone.

Sorry I don't often post, rant over now:lol:

Without wanting to highjack this thread I just want to say that Doug Schoon's article at the beginning of this thread explains very clearly and simply why specific lamps cure specific products. If people read it properly they would understand that wattage is the amount of electricity required to make the bulbs work and it is the amount of UV-A emitted that is important.

I too am a scientist and currently work in research and development and can fully appreciate that a tiny difference or change can make a very big difference to the end result. I too have wondered weather any old lamp would do to cure Shellac but after reading the article and this thread, when I qualify, I will be purchasing the correct lamp:). I would be mortified if as a result of my actions somebody got hurt, aside from the product not performing as it should. I think people sometimes forget that we are dealing with peoples bodies and we should act responsibly and with a duty of care to not ever knowingly do something that can hurt someone.

Sorry I don't often post, rant over now:lol:

In that case you should post more often ... a few intelligent level heads are always welcome. :hug:

In that case you should post more often ... a few intelligent level heads are always welcome. :hug:

LOL I usually find that the questions have already been asked, and as a learner I don't often feel knowledgeable enough, would hate to give the wrong advice!

Oh yes indeedy and you in turn have been selling it on Ebay haven't you? AND telling your buyers that they can use any old lamp from any old place, so it suits your purpose to spout off on here and try to cause trouble. Frankly I wouldn't waste another nano second of my time on a person like yourself and now that you have been busted here in public I really hope you won't spend anymore of your time here.

LMAO go GEEG!!! I think thats her well and truely busted! hopefully an end to the matter!

I thought so!! :lol: This person is a registered Ebay seller and has been doing just that ... selling Shellac to anyone while the rest of us putting food into our mouths with a business are going short! WE have some very talented mods on this site ... not much gets past the team.

Thumbs up to the mods - excellent detective work and well done for busting a dodgy eBay seller!

Isn't it strange how people pop up on here from time to time and do their best to cause arguments and general unrest then blame that on everyone else.

It always turns out that there is a hidden agenda behind it all.

Nice one Geeg and Mods

It's a lamp I have never used, nor would I use, anything other than CND product; they have the best and I want to give the best to my customers & if people value their clients they would do the same .... I would never buy from e-bay; I hate the place when I see base coat going for such large amounts of money its foolish. People just have to wait for stock to come in .... im lucky I have the Shellac lamp top & base coat and I would not sell to make a quick buck ..

Last edited by a moderator:

OMG ............ Whooooooop! Well done to the investigation team! xxxx

Wow Gigi you go girl, Fab :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back