UV top coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't find uv top coat cheaper either that's why if you read I said I charge extra for this also.

I'm sorry my clients don't get nasty surprise at end of service they know how much there bill is as they pay the same each visit I don't change my prices weekly, they pay what they always pay plus usually a little something for me aswell :) when a new client enquires I tell them the price of full set and rebalance and it's there choice either top coat uv coat or hand buff,,, not hard really

Really? I've never heard such a thing. Thats would be like an hairdresser charging more for combing your hair and finishing with spray. I thought buffing was included in the package.

Exactly. I don't charge extra. Client coming in for set of nails and expect them to be shiny. I charge for my time and skill. And skill includes high standard in definition.

Just an opinion

Nail designer with a twist;)

Karen I agree, I am happy to buff or use a gel topcoat same price for both.
I use about 95% CND products but I love NSI Glaze and Go. Goes on easily, never goes gluggy or thick in the bottle, I just love it.

I use uv top coat all the time, never buff. But then, clients always have funky art and such and hard to buff that :lol:
The cost is included in the service price.
To me, a set that unbuffed or not top coated is incomplete, so I can't imagine having the topcoat as a separate service added on.

If you have a UK distributor for Nailite (used to be one... dont know what it is now), I like "seal it".
You can even use it over polished frenchs (make sure polish has had 10min to dry) and they'll keep nice until the next appointment.

I find all uv top coats are runny. But that's so that they can be applied thin. You'll get used to it with use.

hth's

I really can't see the big deal here I don't charge extra for them to shine or leave then incomplete I simply charge extra if client chooses to have a uv top coat such as shellac or brisa or glaze n go say as this is an extra and not something I do but if client wants this then yes they can have it for £4 extra, if client wants buff to a shine I charge £2 more than having super shiney, airdry or lumos .

So £30 full set, £22 rebalance (£24 hand buff) or £26 with uv top coat .

Exactly. I don't charge extra. Client coming in for set of nails and expect them to be shiny. I charge for my time and skill. And skill includes high standard in definition.

Just an opinion

Nail designer with a twist;)

Just a thought do you charge extra for shellac French? And shellac with DD? Then why is this any diffrent? I charge for MY time and MY skill also and that means charging extra for more time and effort

Let me explain why I charge extra for hand buffing .. or how it all started anyway.

Originally I didn't charge extra for hand buffing, but I hated doing it as we all know it takes longer than just applying a top coat either UV or not. So in my wisdom I fugured that if I made an extra charge for it people would stop asking me to do it :lol: which they did by and large and were quite happy with Super Shiney.

I always charged extra for UV Finishing Gloss but for 99% of clients they were happy with a couple of coats of Super Shiney. Tickety boo!! UNTIL clients saw the extra charge for hand buffed nails and, as you know, we always get the ones that want something because it IS extra as they consider it extra Special so then they start paying for it. So now, I'm stuck having to hand buff (but at least I do get paid extra for that) and UV gloss (which is also extra) or polish top coat which is included in the price and which very few people now ask for. UNTIL LUMOS ... which they are now beginning to request because it is dry in an instant and which will also be an extra charge just because I can. lol

Let me explain why I charge extra for hand buffing .. or how it all started anyway.

Originally I didn't charge extra for hand buffing, but I hated doing it as we all know it takes longer than just applying a top coat either UV or not. So in my wisdom I fugured that if I made an extra charge for it people would stop asking me to do it :lol: which they did by and large and were quite happy with Super Shiney.

I always charged extra for UV Finishing Gloss but for 99% of clients they were happy with a couple of coats of Super Shiney. Tickety boo!! UNTIL clients saw the extra charge for hand buffed nails and, as you know, we always get the ones that want something because it IS extra as they consider it extra Special so then they start paying for it. So now, I'm stuck having to hand buff (but at least I do get paid extra for that) and UV gloss (which is also extra) or polish top coat which is included in the price and which very few people now ask for. UNTIL LUMOS ... which they are now beginning to request because it is dry in an instant and which will also be an extra charge just because I can.
lol

exactly what I was trying to say,,

I always charged extra for UV Finishing Gloss but for 99% of clients they were happy with a couple of coats of Super Shiney. Tickety boo!! UNTIL clients saw the extra charge for hand buffed nails and, as you know, we always get the ones that want something because it IS extra as they consider it extra Special so then they start paying for it. So now, I'm stuck having to hand buff (but at least I do get paid extra for that) and UV gloss (which is also extra) or polish top coat which is included in the price and which very few people now ask for. UNTIL LUMOS ... which they are now beginning to request because it is dry in an instant and which will also be an extra charge just because I can. lol

Of course you can geeg ... you are the nail guru, nail celebrity prob the best in the world and i would be happy to pay the price of the nail bill ticket at the end of the service (providing it was hand written of course) :lol:
What i am saying is, for someone who is new and is starting out in the industry, someone who's hand buffing isn't very good has she feels she hasn't been taught the basics very well so chooses to use a gel top coat instead, is it wise to advise her to charge 'extra' for her hand buffing? She has already said her hand buffing isn't very great.

There are many many nail tech's about these days, lots to choose from. It is hard enough to find a steady client base when first starting out let alone find a client base who is willing to pay for a hand buff when there is another nail tech on every street corner willing to do it for free.

I advised her to charge extra for uv top coat not hand buff I stated I charge extra for that but never mentioned her to do so. This is also after helping by giving advise on how to use ur grits as aids to obtain a super smooth finish. I thought that's what we are meant to do offer help and advise?????

Hi bubs what system are you using? Who was your training provider? Did you not get taught the importance of using your files in sequence to obtain the perfect finish?

I always start on my new applied product with a 180 grit hot shot then use my 240 grit padded buffer to smooth then 1200 buffer to remove scratches and again smooth and help buff in solar oil, then I use my gloss block to bring to high shine . If I were to just try and shine without these steps it would be hard work as there could be flat spots and scratch marks by using ur grits this way prepares the surface fir a nice glass shine .

Xxx

Here xx

I advised her to charge extra for uv top coat not hand buff I stated I charge extra for that but never mentioned her to do so. This is also after helping by giving advise on how to use ur grits as aids to obtain a super smooth finish. I thought that's what we are meant to do offer help and advise?????
Ok i miss read, your words kind of got scrambled along that sentance so i do apologise for that katie. :hug:

But i do stand by my words whether it be any kind of shine. Clients expect that glass shine in any nail service and like a said before about it being hard to build a client base, to start charging for different kinds of finishes would be hard to build a client base at all. Not when they can go down the road and get it done inclusive.

I actually love buffing esp with the CND Glossing blocks. I love to hear the 'WOW' from the client after i have buffed their first nail. My buffers don't last me long, after about 4 uses they are dead and only good for a low shine. So this service does cost me more but i do get more satisfation out of it. And with the Glossing Buffers i find it easy to buff with and can do the buffing in the same time it would take me curing 10 nails in the lamp. I think its the 3 sided girlfriend buffers which i find hard work.

It's ok I'm guilty of the sane thing at times :) I use the cnd glossing block too and am very particular about how shiny I like them using this and usually only get about 5,6 clients per block to achieve really glassy shine but hey when they are paying exta I don't mind. I sometimes give my nice:good extra spec clients these blocks . Xxx

Hi!
I use Crystal nails Top shine gel.Here it's a new product and not so popular,but I like it.

So you said egg in a prev post. I notice you work forbir own crystal nails also? So a little biased would you not say?

Last edited by a moderator:
"So you said egg in a prev post. I notice you work forbir own crystal nails also? So a little biased would you not say?"

Hopefully I didn't misunderstand your question,my English is really not the best:)
I'm working just with crystal nails,it's a new brand in UK.If you'll go to Excel on March 2011 you can check the company's products.

If you apply it on acrylic or gel,you can apply it straight away on.There's no need any base coat and it gives protection and high shine.Buff the top,it'll fill in the little scratches.

Gigi...that is great! Never thought of that angle, but Lumos saves time for the nail professional AND the client

Of course you can geeg ... you are the nail guru, nail celebrity prob the best in the world and i would be happy to pay the price of the nail bill ticket at the end of the service (providing it was hand written of course) :lol:
What i am saying is, for someone who is new and is starting out in the industry, someone who's hand buffing isn't very good has she feels she hasn't been taught the basics very well so chooses to use a gel top coat instead, is it wise to advise her to charge 'extra' for her hand buffing? She has already said her hand buffing isn't very great.

There are many many nail tech's about these days, lots to choose from. It is hard enough to find a steady client base when first starting out let alone find a client base who is willing to pay for a hand buff when there is another nail tech on every street corner willing to do it for free.

Karen...pricing should be "strategic", meaning it has to reflect your particular situation. If you haves full book, then you should start to increase prices as you can. If you don't have a full book or are still learning your pricing should reflect that too.

Latest posts

Back