UV top coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubs

Reaction score
hello looking for advie on uv topcoats?
i use a uv gel topcoat for after doing my acrylic nails but im finding it hard to find a good one iv used the salon system high gloss from sallys but found it quite watery and runny to work with even though it was like 12pounds a small bottle and i ised sure promise which i liked but i find iv been curing for about 5mins and when i wipe residue its not as shiny as it should be all bulbs are working on lamp and i find it just goes kind of tacky? any help or maybe im doing something wrong iv only being doing nails for a year so still trying to find my way any help please would be appreciated xx

Hi there I don't use a gel top coat as per I prefer to buff to a shine but if I do use gel top coat I would use my shellac top coat or brisa gloss .

Alot of techs like nsi,s glaze n go which you don't need to wipe after curing just apply solar oil, but remember Buff off.

And make sure ur charging extra for gel top coat as u do I also charge extra for buff by hand,, otherwise I just use cnds airdry, or new lumos zx

hello thanks for your reply i only ever got taught to use the topcoat would i just buff the nail and shine then leave it what would make it last longer and also what should i do if im using jewels? i usually put the uv gel on then apply jewel then ure what do u think would be best to do? thanks xxx

Hi bubs what system are you using? Who was your training provider? Did you not get taught the importance of using your files in sequence to obtain the perfect finish?

I always start on my new applied product with a 180 grit hot shot then use my 240 grit padded buffer to smooth then 1200 buffer to remove scratches and again smooth and help buff in solar oil, then I use my gloss block to bring to high shine . If I were to just try and shine without these steps it would be hard work as there could be flat spots and scratch marks by using ur grits this way prepares the surface fir a nice glass shine .

Xxx

hiya it was with true beauty i trained with but to be honest iv been feeling maybe i havent being trained as good with basics and thats why its a case of throw uv gel on it for a shine il have to look into that thanks alot this site is great for advice xx

I love young nails original uv top coat
Xxx

thanks il give that one a try thanks all xx

glaze and go is really good but usually i just buff hth x

Glaze n Go whilst Shellac is still in short supply.

Young nails finish gel takes some beating x

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I do charge extra for a coating of glaze n go and I love the shine this gives but if the client doesnt want that then yeah normally buff to a nice shine. hth xxx

I have tried lots of them and my favourite is the Nfu oh top coat - Top Gel. Keeps it's shine forever and goes on like a dream! You can get if from Affinitinailsandbeauty.com:green:

excellent il have a look at them all thanks so much xx

hello looking for advie on uv topcoats?
i use a uv gel topcoat for after doing my acrylic nails but im finding it hard to find a good one iv used the salon system high gloss from sallys but found it quite watery and runny to work with even though it was like 12pounds a small bottle and i ised sure promise which i liked but i find iv been curing for about 5mins and when i wipe residue its not as shiny as it should be all bulbs are working on lamp and i find it just goes kind of tacky? any help or maybe im doing something wrong iv only being doing nails for a year so still trying to find my way any help please would be appreciated xx
Im using this one at the moment. You have to apply it really thin, really drain the brush and leave a small margin so it don't run over the sides. And there is no tacky layer to remove?? Mine doesn't require it.

I was desperate so i bought this one in an emergency. I didn't like it at first and it took a bit of getting used to. But now im used to it, and learned how to apply it well, i don't mind it now. I still don't like the smell of it but once cured the smell goes. I love the translucent brush, you can really see just how much gel you are appling to the nail and where exactly its going.

Persevere and you will get used to it, it would be a shame to waste the bottle has i agree it wasn't that cheap to buy!

Forgot to add, i only cure mine for 2 mins in the CND Shellac lamp.

I don't see the point in charging extra for a uv top gloss, not when its cheaper and easier to do than buff to a high shine. Unless you keep your buffer block for months on end. Buffer blocks are more costly IMO. I was getting through a 4 pk of CND Glossing blocks a month when i was offereing only this service. Now i offer the UV gloss (without an added extra) I only buy blocks very rarely now.
I do realise there is the added bulb life cost too, but 2 minutes per service doesn't break the bank for me. Not anymore. :)

Hi there I don't use a gel top coat as per I prefer to buff to a shine but if I do use gel top coat I would use my shellac top coat or brisa gloss .

Alot of techs like nsi,s glaze n go which you don't need to wipe after curing just apply solar oil, but remember Buff off.

And make sure ur charging extra for gel top coat as u do I also charge extra for buff by hand,, otherwise I just use cnds airdry, or new lumos zx
Really? I've never heard such a thing. Thats would be like an hairdresser charging more for combing your hair and finishing with spray. I thought buffing was included in the package.

Well I personally use top coat included but if a client wants a high glass shine without then I charge as this 1 looks better 2 takes a little longer 3 shine lasts longer and 4 costs me more as my buffing blocks costs more than top coat and don't last as long .

As for going to hairdressers remark I can go to hair by madge say whom use salon service products and pay average but go somewhere that uses a deep conditioner by a reputable brand then I'm sure as he'll u pay extra,, you get what you pay for in my eyes. Xx

I like to build all my product prices into the service whether they choose to have a super shiney finish or just a light buff with no shine. No nail bills which looks more like a lunch bill and no nasty suprises at the end of the service. But thats just my opinion. :)

I don't deduct a price if they choose not to have a hand lotion at the end of their service. Its a bonus for me. I add the cost of the use of my buffer blocks, (which i prefer to do) if they choose different, hey another bonus for me.

Really? I've never heard such a thing. Thats would be like an hairdresser charging more for combing your hair and finishing with spray. I thought buffing was included in the package.
I also charge extra for hand buffed nails. Takes longer and time costs money. I always have done, if a client wants high gloss it can be applied quickly with a product and the cost is built into the service ... Hand buffing is definitely an extra.

I don't see the point in charging extra for a uv top gloss, not when its cheaper and easier to do than buff to a high shine. Unless you keep your buffer block for months on end. Buffer blocks are more costly IMO. I was getting through a 4 pk of CND Glossing blocks a month when i was offereing only this service. Now i offer the UV gloss (without an added extra) I only buy blocks very rarely now.
I do realise there is the added bulb life cost too, but 2 minutes per service doesn't break the bank for me. Not anymore. :)

I dont find UV top coat cheaper at all. I buy one diamond buffer a month and buffer w the handle which also lasts forever..

My nails are close to perfect after sculpting. Filing and buffing is very minimal so I dont go through these things a lot...

Latest posts

Back