Vaseline instead of oil??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONZIE

Reaction score
Hi all,
just thought I'd share this with you. I did a set of nails for the 15 year old daughter of one of my colleagues 3 weeks ago last Friday. I kept asking how her nails were doing expecting her to say that she needed a maintenance or a rebalance but she just said they were doing fine. I asked her if she was using the oil but she said no she is actually using vaseline and they look great!! Anyway today she said 'Oh my daughter has soaked off all her nails cos they were starting to lift at the sides and she couldn't afford to keep them going.'
She said that she bought some acrylic stuff and was keeping them going herself!!
It amazes me cos I have done a promotion with all the girls that I did nails for. I told them that if they could find me just one client then I would do their rebalance for free and would for every new client they find me!! To date NO ONE has found me just one client! I onlyhave 3 clients at the moment and struggling to get more. I do work full time but it annoys me when people try to scrimp by using cheap products from places like superdrug on top on what I've done. If other people are seeing these nails and they don't look too good then they'll think that that's my work won't they?!!

Hiya

I dont think vaseline will make any difference at all to your clients nails or surrounding skin as it just sits on top of the skin........dont worry!! clients will start to come and its nearly coming to the "wedding" season so i bet you wil start to get busy with brides, brides mums etc................it is a struggle when you first start out, i know cos i have been there, keep at it, keep improving, keep learning and never give up!!!!

Amanda

When I used to do l&p I was taught that in your aftercare you should avoid lanolin and white soft paraffin as it causes it to lift, hence why your client had probs. All eczema products have white soft paraffin as a base so be careful in your consultation, if they have eczema you may be better to do a non porous product like gel.

People will always think they can do things more cheaply themselves, which is why there are so many home hair dye products. But we all know that it will never look as good as a professional finish, so why different with nails? You just need to aim your prices and marketing at a clientele that is willing to pay for quality, not cut price services that are aimed at a cut price client.

You are so right sassy when i think of my hair dyeing attempts compared to the professional beautiful hair my stylist does i weep in shame and the same applies to nails, dont worry about the youngesters they will learn its not s easy as she thinks and will be back for another set before too long
x

I always say the say thing - if they wanna buy outta boots then let them, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it. When she sees that it looks pants then she'll be back singing your praises and telling all how talented and skilled you are.

Hand on in there its always darkest before dawn!

she will soon be back when her brush is all clogged up (lets face it the instructions wont include 'how to clean your brush') and her nails fall off, dont worry :D it will serve her right when she needs to fork out for a full set to get her nails looking lovely again!

You,ve got to have heard of the saying
"Pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys"
Never has rung so true!
xxxx jnail OZxxxxxxx

I too had a 15 year old client recently, and also her mother on the same day. I did them both a kick ass set of tips. Three weeks later the 15 year old comes into the salon and starts talking at me whilst I was with another client. Very irritating! She wants to cancel their infill appointments as they have seen acrylic for sale in Boots. The only thing is "i'm not sure on how to put it on, can you teach me now". Well I couldn't help but giggle at her, for firstly thinking that it is piss easy to apply, but also for thinking that I was going to show her how to do it, especially when I was busy with another client.

All I can say is good luck, because the pair of them will end up with mount everest going on in their cuticle region. How funny.

Some people eh? What they don't realise is that they are ruining their initial investment on the beautiful nails that we do.

Hiya, I had same probs when starting out..I did all my friends/ family and neighbours 4 free... I asked if they would be kind enough to try my new products...I now offer them discounts on treatments...they have friends/family and work mates to show them to ...give them price lists and cards with your details on them...

1.Ask new clients to fill out client record cards...
you can post them discount or info on retail products in the future to boost sales and income.
2. bonus scheme for all clients that bring new clients.
3. Talk to clients and find out any new events E.G Holidays they are attending ask them if they would like to book in advance to secure a place..
4. Try not to tell clients that you are quiet...it can put them off coming to you.
5.Sell retail products to complinet nail enhancements..E.G massage clients hands with hand creams that compliment your collection.. when nail enhancements are completed.
6. Posters/Graphics Display Boards are very good to promote your skills.
E.G Contact company who supplies you acrylic/gel etc (Marketing Department may help)
7. Adverts in LOCAL papers may work 4 u...ask friends and relative which one they read the most.

I Qualified june 2003 as a creative nail tech.
I have around 350 clients on my books.

Keep going and good luck

Keep your clients detalis if ever you move to bigger or other premisses in the future you can inform the of your move.

Jenny Mosley

:lol:
DONZIE said:
Hi all,
just thought I'd share this with you. I did a set of nails for the 15 year old daughter of one of my colleagues 3 weeks ago last Friday. I kept asking how her nails were doing expecting her to say that she needed a maintenance or a rebalance but she just said they were doing fine. I asked her if she was using the oil but she said no she is actually using vaseline and they look great!! Anyway today she said 'Oh my daughter has soaked off all her nails cos they were starting to lift at the sides and she couldn't afford to keep them going.'
She said that she bought some acrylic stuff and was keeping them going herself!!
It amazes me cos I have done a promotion with all the girls that I did nails for. I told them that if they could find me just one client then I would do their rebalance for free and would for every new client they find me!! To date NO ONE has found me just one client! I onlyhave 3 clients at the moment and struggling to get more. I do work full time but it annoys me when people try to scrimp by using cheap products from places like superdrug on top on what I've done. If other people are seeing these nails and they don't look too good then they'll think that that's my work won't they?!!

Gosh Jenny 350 clients ! thats something for me to aim for, I qualified June 2004 !! well done

Hey, where are you based hun ?

kx

Jenny Mosley

:lol:[/QUOTE]

RedAdmiral said:
I always say the say thing - if they wanna buy outta boots then let them, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it. When she sees that it looks pants then she'll be back singing your praises and telling all how talented and skilled you are.

Hand on in there its always darkest before dawn!

Hiya,
Yeah the prob at the moment is you can buy proffesional products such as OPI enamel and the nailtiques range :irked: not to mention the gel and l&p kits...........i for one think its disgusting................

Amanda

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. It does help to know that it's not only happening to me. I will plod on and maybe advertise in my local rag paper to see if that brings any joy.

Lily said:
Hiya,
Yeah the prob at the moment is you can buy proffesional products such as OPI enamel and the nailtiques range :irked: not to mention the gel and l&p kits...........i for one think its disgusting................

Amanda

Sassy #1 said:
All eczema products have white soft paraffin as a base .

mine dont (goodo)

in fact my excema blend is also good for psoriasis and rosaeca (client feedback)

i dont use soft paraffin or lanolin in any of my products - mineral oil (baby oil is a big no no too) but i know where you coming from sass

jenny mosley said:
1.Ask new clients to fill out client record cards...
you can post them discount or info on retail products in the future to boost sales and income.
2. bonus scheme for all clients that bring new clients.
3. Talk to clients and find out any new events E.G Holidays they are attending ask them if they would like to book in advance to secure a place..
4. Try not to tell clients that you are quiet...it can put them off coming to you.
5.Sell retail products to complinet nail enhancements..E.G massage clients hands with hand creams that compliment your collection.. when nail enhancements are completed.
6. Posters/Graphics Display Boards are very good to promote your skills.
E.G Contact company who supplies you acrylic/gel etc (Marketing Department may help)
7. Adverts in LOCAL papers may work 4 u...ask friends and relative which one they read the most.

Wow, Jenny, all i can say is a) how wonderful that you proove it is possible to have an absolutely extaordinary client base and b) for you to share the secrets of your success!!!!

Congratulations to you honey - you have done so very very well, and given us fellow Geeks some wonderful promotional ideas in the process!!!!

Latest posts

Back