Vegetable soup

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydollmama

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up such a dull and boring subject but I'm gonna make a veg soup tomorrow and need some suggestions of what to put in it. Usually when I make it I stick to onion, celery, carrots and leek but I want to try some others, any suggestions? (other than potatoes as hubby hates them!)

Thanks x :rolleyes:

cabbage, sweetcorn, sweet potato, swede, turnip, parsnips anything thats in season really.

Sorry to bring up such a dull and boring subject but I'm gonna make a veg soup tomorrow and need some suggestions of what to put in it. Usually when I make it I stick to onion, celery, carrots and leek but I want to try some others, any suggestions? (other than potatoes as hubby hates them!)

Thanks x :rolleyes:

I usually pop a pkt of french onion soup in mine,along with pearl barley,tin of tomatoes,chopped garlic,herbs,red and green pepper.HTH

Anything you can get your hands on is good and add alittle spice too!! It is actually quite nice with a little curry powder in it!!

Ooh, great suggestions guys, thanks loads. Yeah I like to spice it up a bit, I've even been known to spoon a blob of marmite in!!!

Ooh, great suggestions guys, thanks loads. Yeah I like to spice it up a bit, I've even been known to spoon a blob of marmite in!!!

Marmite,Worcester sauce even an oxo cube or 2,all add a bit of ooomph.What time are we all coming to tea?:)

i used to make a nice butternut squash soup.. cant remember what else it had in it though x

My husband has WONDERFUL recipe for veg soup. Would never in my life try it but I did because I love him and now I love the soup. Had 2 bowls...:Love:

"Hi this is Jacky's Husband... now, I'm no chef so when I say a handful of this or that - that's exactly what I mean... lol...

No celery (I hate celery) :lick:
Two handfuls of dried split peas (some say soak overnight - nah!)
Two handfuls of barley
Two handfuls of lentils
One Large Turnip
Loads of Potatoes (leave them out if u must) just add some more carrots and turnip
Loads of carrots
Loads of leeks
Cabbage one whole one if u like
Onions if u like
The stock is any of ur favourite chicken or vegetarian stock cubes (usually 3 or four to taste)
salt and pepper to taste

Honestly, any veggies you like can be thrown in, in huge quantites --- just like a man...

Ok, Jacky back - there you go.
Jacky

I made a hearty soup tonight. My family love it and it's loaded with goodness.
Okay, avoid the meat, but I add (to the already mentioned ingredients) few tbsp tomato puree, couple finely chopped cloves of garlic, vege stock and mixture of dried lentils, peas, beans and pearl barley.(Sainsburys/Tesco do ready mixed bags of these for soups and casseroles. Gently cook in lowish oven (160 deg) for couple of hours with whatever else. And instead of potato, throw in some small pasta in the last half hour of cooking. Not before or it will go gelatinous. Add salt and black pepper to tastes or even a hint of curry powder for a little extra kick. Bon Apetite.

i made pumpkin soup today! (carved a pumpkin last night!)

leeks, carrots, suede, oh yeah....pumpkin :green:

2 x chicken stock cubes, salt pepper water, cream... yum

SORTED:green:

I like to add some rice...:)

Dinner will be served at 7 on the dot Babs!!

Mmm, love butternut squash, will def throw that in. I'm not a vegetarian, I just don't know how to make any other soup, lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions, lots of nice things to consider!

I do potato and celery soup and make it with milk. Its a great winter warmer.

Rachel

Would love to stick some potatoes in but hubby won't eat them (have you ever heard of someone not liking potatoes??? freakin' weirdo! lol)

Would love to stick some potatoes in but hubby won't eat them (have you ever heard of someone not liking potatoes??? freakin' weirdo! lol)

Yes,my son Callum.He wont eat potatoes at all,well a little but it's a fight.

Maybe they were related in their former life eh!!! LOL:)

Yes,my son Callum.He wont eat potatoes at all,well a little but it's a fight.

Maybe they were related in their former life eh!!! LOL:)

Lol, I remember being astounded when I first met him and kept saying 'what? not even mash?, not even roasties? not even chips?????'

I may sneak a couple of em in the soup and pass them off as swede!!!

Lol, I remember being astounded when I first met him and kept saying 'what? not even mash?, not even roasties? not even chips?????'

I may sneak a couple of em in the soup and pass them off as swede!!!

Yes,that's what I do,when he asks just see my nose grow a bit longer,lol

We like windy soup so called for obvious reasons...Onions,garlic,potatoes any root veg ,stock cubes and just before the end pour in a whole can of baked beans which thickens it up and gives it a lovely taste. You just cant leave the house the same day you eat it.

i love making carrot and parsnip soup even though my kids dont like parsnips alone they will eat them in soup its really easy,

carrots,parsnips,how many depends on how strong you want to taste the parsnips,chicken stock,onions and salt and pepper to taste,simmer until cooked and blend smooth. serve with loads of warm crusty bread.
karen x

I dont make soup.

I make 'stewp' LOL It's so thick, it's a meal and one bowl is plenty.. good luck finding the broth LOL

I've been known to throw any/all of the following into a pot

Start with chicken/beef/turkey stock (home made is best)

Add
Stewed or fresh tomatoes
potatoes
carrots
celery
brocoli, stems and all
cauliflower
corn
turnips
onion
fresh garlic
peas
green beans
yellow string beans
red chilli beans

pasta
lentils of any size/shape/colour
barley
rice (any kind)

meatballs
fried hamburger meat (ground beef)
chicken
turkey
shrimp
beef cubes
sausages (regular or italian/spicey)

spices of all kinds.

Just throw a bunch of stuff in a pot.
Stewp turns out every time LOL

No need for seconds or dessert with my stewp, your full after one bowl:lol:

Only problem, cause no recipe... hard to make the same stewp twice LOL which I hear some complaints for sometimes LOL:lol:

Latest posts

Back