Very cool technique for Brisa users wanting colored gel....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeatherDavis

Reaction score
I want to state RIGHT OFF THE BAT:

The techniques I am about to share are NOT Creative supported techniques, they are techniques shared with me through trial and error through another master technician that I learned over the weekend while in a Brisa Gel class. Use em, or don't use them, it's all up to you. I am well aware of chemical structure and compound, and am not looking to argue as to why this does or does NOT work- cause it WORKS, and BEAUTIFULLY.:green:

So for all of you geeks that have been talking about colored gels, we want colored gels why doesn't Brisa use colored gels wah wah wah.... Well I have a solution for you until that fateful day when Brisa Color Gels exist.

All you need is a bottle of high quality enamel, and Brisa clear sculpting gel.

Get a good load of clear gel either into a pot, or just on the back of a plastic pad ( I used the plastic backing of my hands down towel), then add a few drops of your enamel, and then mix. It's really that simple.
There are 2 very important things to remember here though:

1. Make sure your UV Gel brush is already thinly coated with clear sculpting gel, so the color won't stick to your brush hairs.
2. (AND THE MOST IMPORTANT) The viscosity of your gel when you are mixing must remain the SAME. The gels thickness should NOT change whatsoever with the addition of enamel, or it will NOT CURE. If the viscosity has gone from sculpting gel to finish gloss, add more sculpting gel.

Thin layers should be applied to make sure the UV cures the gel thoroughly, since there are extra pigments getting in the way, to get to the color you want. AND you must STILL apply a BASE layer of gel, buff the final layer of sculpting gel, and apply finish gloss. I believe this is all very similar to color gels out on the market currently.

Just a quick tip: I applied my base layer of gel in soft white, it gave me better coverage when I applied color.

This is totally a trial and error technique for you to play with if you choose to, just play with it until you figure it out. I am taking pictures and working up a short tutorial if you guys are interested...

Have fun!!

well i am going to give it a go on myself :)

Sounds very cool Heather ... I'm off to play at once. :hug:

sounds interesting heather...sure it will prove useful for those wanting coloured Brisa/gels..

I went through a fad of using coloured gels but they didn't go down to well with my clients...(french die hards)...also they would get bored of the same colour for 2-3 weeks..and they/I got sick of soaking off every 2-3 weeks..(i was using a soak off coloured gel)....

Now i just use enamel over my finished enhancment/overlay....

its cheaper

its quicker to remove and apply

they can remove and change the colour when they like at home

no soaking/buffing it off

last ages over enhancements/overlays

larger colour choice

so its enamel all the way for me....

xx

Hey Angie- you can play with just your enamel and give them a "beach ready" finish too: After you have finished applying your enamel, top coat and all, ask them to stop in briefly the next day- It will be VERY BRIEF! (and an extra $20 in your pocket btw) VERY lightly swipe the nail with scrub fresh (this is to remove oils and dirt), then apply a layer of finish gloss, and cure.

They won't be able to chip their polish, can leave in gloves or sandals or whatever if they want to, and as you know, being a Brisa user, the shine can't be beat. ;)

ANDDDD, it's SO fast to buff off that finish gloss! Not nearly as time sucking as filing off sculpting gel (even though thats pretty quick for me too thanks to some very useful filing techniques lol).

Thanks for the tips Heather!:)

this sounds quite cool, i have tried very sheer pink gels as i love the "neglegee" look on myself, but can never find a gel that is that exact colour, so may have a go myself

great tip heather

thanks alot

i will have a go when my nail trainer arrives

Not a gel person myself but this sounds really cool!

I'm guessing then that you gel peeps should be able to do some custom blending using this technique?

Then again I may be totally wrong!

nope- you are totally right- but there was already a Custom Color technique too for Brisa: mix french pink cool or french pink warm with soft white until you get the right coverage. ;)

Hey Angie- you can play with just your enamel and give them a "beach ready" finish too: After you have finished applying your enamel, top coat and all, ask them to stop in briefly the next day- It will be VERY BRIEF! (and an extra $20 in your pocket btw) VERY lightly swipe the nail with scrub fresh (this is to remove oils and dirt), then apply a layer of finish gloss, and cure.

They won't be able to chip their polish, can leave in gloves or sandals or whatever if they want to, and as you know, being a Brisa user, the shine can't be beat. ;)

ANDDDD, it's SO fast to buff off that finish gloss! Not nearly as time sucking as filing off sculpting gel (even though thats pretty quick for me too thanks to some very useful filing techniques lol).

So the swipe with scrub fresh wont spoil the enamal....?

that sounds fab x

This sounds great:hug:
What I wondered was could you add Mosaic or Metro Powders to clear Gel to make a coloured Gel?

One thing you might remind your clients

Gel polish will NOT "wear away" from the edges of the enhancements like regular nail polish does as it's protected by a gloss/finishing gel/etc..
SO what they can do is purchase a matching nail polish to fill in the regrowth area in between appointments :green: SO they won't have any argument about the regrowth area.

I've made custom colours many times, but never tried with nail polish.
Will be sure to try it tomorrow with my EZ flow.
Certainly makes for a larger collection of colours, doesn't it?

I like gel polish BUT to have soooooooooooooooooo many pots.... that last soooooooooooooooo long... collecting dust? I much prefer making custom colours in the small quantities that I need AS I need them. Takes less space and less waste if you buy a colour no one likes :green:
I no longer buy gel polish
BUT now that you've presented this idea.... I can see it taking off and I can see my nail polish sales going up too.:green:

Why don't gel companies make "kits" so we can make our colours as we need them, to match whatever nail polish they sell, kwim? That way we don't end up with more than what we need, and make as needed.

Instead us crazy folk are adding polishes, acrylic paints, pigment powders, food colouring, powder makeup, acrylic powders etc etc to our gels.....
LOL ( I think polish is the only thing I haven't tried yet lol)

GREAT INFO HEATHER:!:

Thanks for sharing:hug:

yeah id have to say ive heard about almost everything but this is a new one thank heather and v yes great way to retail the polish color

hey heather what are your quick filing techniques for gel removal or wait ill start a thread ... thanks for the idea

i heard of this a while back (from the geek secret circle:hug: lol)

I would love to wear a file off colour ( i always wear a FILE OFF GEl FRENCH)

I'll give it a go thanks heather:hug:

Cooool, No really this is great...... but I'll have to apologise to another Master tech[actv] in the process especially if she logs on....

OOO I can hear her now.............. I TOLD YOU SO.......etc etc!!!!!!

Seriously about 3 weeks ago we were discussing WHY! I wont change from CND L&P + Brisa Gel even tho I too had been wahing for coloured Brisa gels.
Roz suggested exactly the same thing - Add enamel to the clear gel...

Apart from what pots ? are we going to put these new creations in [ have since found pots that are identical to the brisa gel pots silver & gold]
there was no way in high heaven that we were DAMGING my product lol if it didn't work blah blah.
But it definatley looks now like I'll be having a trail & error at this & I'll have something to put them in as well.

Thanks for sharing Heather

XX J XX

great tip heather

thanks alot

i will have a go when my nail trainer arrives

Hi Chantelle or anyone who can help ? What sort of hand trainer are you getting ?
Ive been looking at them since i saw on a recent thread they are good for practicing on . im just a bit confused as someone said get the one were you clip on the nails ? :confused: but i cant see any like that , theres ones with a girl on the pack with shortish dark hair, and the hand looks like a robot hand with a round thing in the middle and its got a long dark tubey handle that attaches to the desk ,is this the one i should get? I would so appreciate any answers before I spend all my money . from Minky:)

That was a great tip about the enamel and the clear gel , just any enamel plain or frosted ?
I cant wait to practice on my trainer hand , I was just wondering can you do
it with any other gel ( Im getting so addicted to all of this ), thanks for sharing your knowledge :) minky

I am using some older pots of clear gel that hadn't been tossed- I tend to keep them all anyway as I was mixing other gels for a coverage gel (ie: soft white and french pink cool). I wouldn't recommend using polymer with an oligomer (powder with gel) for any of this, and with the enamel trick you don't have to! :)
The scrub fresh wont harm the enamel if you just SWIPE it LIGHTLY :) Your only purpose in doing that is to remove oils and dirt before you apply finish gloss.
ANd you can use ANY COLOR enamel you can think of ;) I just wouldn't try it with cheap department store polish lol.
Victoria thats EXACTLY what I love about this- I don't have to mix large quantities if I don't want to, I can just mix what I need on the back of a hands down pad, and I can even mix polish colors if I feel like it- add some shimmer to a cream, etc.
Have fun- play play play and maybe you will come up with your own cool way to utilize this tool... :)
I'm so glad I had the chance to share it with all of you :) The excited responses are making me even MORE excited ;)

Latest posts

Back