Very cool technique for Brisa users wanting colored gel....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wish i used gel!!!
Although the tip you top angie about gel over polish i might try (didn't minkus do that a while back) how did it hold out? Would be great for holiday pedis. xx

I am using some older pots of clear gel that hadn't been tossed- I tend to keep them all anyway as I was mixing other gels for a coverage gel (ie: soft white and french pink cool). I wouldn't recommend using polymer with an oligomer (powder with gel) for any of this, and with the enamel trick you don't have to! :)
The scrub fresh wont harm the enamel if you just SWIPE it LIGHTLY :) Your only purpose in doing that is to remove oils and dirt before you apply finish gloss.
ANd you can use ANY COLOR enamel you can think of ;) I just wouldn't try it with cheap department store polish lol.
Victoria thats EXACTLY what I love about this- I don't have to mix large quantities if I don't want to, I can just mix what I need on the back of a hands down pad, and I can even mix polish colors if I feel like it- add some shimmer to a cream, etc.
Have fun- play play play and maybe you will come up with your own cool way to utilize this tool... :)
I'm so glad I had the chance to share it with all of you :) The excited responses are making me even MORE excited ;)

I have mixed coloured acrylic powders with uv gel, and you have to use only a teensy weensy bit and only with runny self-levelling gel. I guess it's a home-made 'acrygel'. It does cure BUT doesn't keep very well.... after a few months, it will turn to rubber:lol:

Do NOT waste any more of your wipes though!!! Silly goose:hug:
Go to a home-hardware store and buy a plain white 3 x 3" or 6 x 6" ceramic tile for bathrooms. I LOVE mine. Mine's actually a left-over from when we gutted and redid our bathroom (all original, circa 1958, it was OVERDUE:eek: ).
I use my tile for everything: mixing things, practicing brushstrokes for nail art, showing colours to clients if I don't already have a sample of them on another tip.... etc. Everything: polish, acrylic paint and UV Gel ALL come off the tile easily. Well worth the 0.50c you spent for one tile:green:

Also, as I've said before, check out craft shops, dollar stores and anywhere else that stocks artist stuff and buy a few rows of plastic paint pots. You know the ones... like for paint by number kits? About 8 in a row, all connected? Like in this picture
4116.jpg
See that row of paint? that thing.

They're perfect for mixing only tiny quantities, and if you do have a smidgeon left over (they actually hold enough for 3 or 4 glitter french's, if that's any help, that's what I use them for, my glitter mixes) then store it away for the client's refill :green:
I keep my little rows of pots in opaque plastic pencil boxes to protect them from UV light.
I also store my acrylic paint that way, in those, so I don't have to have a huge collection of bottles at my table. They take up much less space AND it makes them much more portable for Mobile Techs.:green:

Hope this helps
:hug:

I wonder if this would work with bio clear or S gel and enamel, save spending a fortune on coloured gels!

Deb379

I wonder if this would work with bio clear or S gel and enamel, save spending a fortune on coloured gels!

Deb379

Only one way to find out :wink2:

I have heard mention of this, before this thread, by another tech. There was controversy surrounding it. I can't remember who said it, or what brand.
Certainly worth a try, though, aye?

I've gotten to thinking (yes, dangerous thing)

Distributors - be it L&P or UV Gel - they KNOW we do custom blends with all sorts of things: glitters, colours, cracked ice, crushed shells, etc. They KNOW that we would need little storage pots for these blends/mixes.

So WHY do they not SELL little pots for us?
With their logo on it? It looks far more professional if our custom blends are in matching containers along with our other products.
Even if they don't have the logo.... a plain pot will do just fine.

Otherwise, we're scrambling, coming up with our own ideas. Which is ok.
BUT there's CLEARLY a need for these little pots.

WHY aren't they selling them??????

Any distributors around to answer this question?

I had a play with this today on my own nails and i'm pleased to report it worked perfectly !!!!
I needed to build up the layers but it works.
Thanks for sharing !
x

I've gotten to thinking (yes, dangerous thing)

Distributors - be it L&P or UV Gel - they KNOW we do custom blends with all sorts of things: glitters, colours, cracked ice, crushed shells, etc. They KNOW that we would need little storage pots for these blends/mixes.

So WHY do they not SELL little pots for us?
With their logo on it? It looks far more professional if our custom blends are in matching containers along with our other products.
Even if they don't have the logo.... a plain pot will do just fine.

Otherwise, we're scrambling, coming up with our own ideas. Which is ok.
BUT there's CLEARLY a need for these little pots.

WHY aren't they selling them??????

Any distributors around to answer this question?

I had been thinking the same thing! Was at my local wholesaler he other day (not brilliant for nail stuff but handy for picking up acetone, files etc). Was at the counter waiting for my bill & glanced around at stuff around me (this wholesaler is 90% hairsalon supply). Saw a bag of empty pots with good solid screw on lids, approx 7/10 oz size (looked perfect for custom blend l&p asked about them - something to do with hair colour/perm? (sample pots, donno really - was so excited I didn't enquire in detail!) Only 40p each, really sturdy & better than anything else I have seen on offer in both size & quality. Clear plastic tho so I guess no good for you gel geeks tho I suppose if you stored them away from light when not in use would be ok?

So take a look in the hair section of your local wholesalers next time you visit.

would this work with any clear gel or just cnd
:green: thanks vic

thanks so much heather sounds very interesting :)
p.s. does anyone know when the brisa colours will be out? i dont come on here much as have been too busy lol so not sure if this has been talked about and i am dying to see what they bring out?
nic

Nothing official to report Nic.... CALL THE HOTLINE AND BUG THEM!!! ;)

would this work with any clear gel or just cnd
:green: thanks vic

LOL I think you mean thanks heather, she started the thread :lol:

I luv ya anyway:hug:

Like I said earlier, try it and see. I've tried all kinds of insane things.
What have you got to lose?
1 tsp of gel, a couple drops of polish, a nail tip and your time?
Doesn't cost much to try :green:

I had heard that you can you pure mineral pigments with cal gel and bio gel to make colours - havent tried it though but wondered if anyone else had.

I had heard that you can you pure mineral pigments with cal gel and bio gel to make colours - havent tried it though but wondered if anyone else had.

I was told this by a dist, and yes, it works
BUT a teensy weensy itty bitty bit goes a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG way.
Less than 1/8th of a tsp to a wee pot. Maybe only 1/32nd of a tsp? Really, it takes soooooooo little.

I was told this by a dist, and yes, it works
BUT a teensy weensy itty bitty bit goes a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG way.
Less than 1/8th of a tsp to a wee pot. Maybe only 1/32nd of a tsp? Really, it takes soooooooo little.

Does it make a dense colour or just a colour tint? As I cant imagine it would create a colour as effective as bio gel.

Depending on which pigment you use, you can get either a tinted colour OR an opaque colour. Yes, as dense as any other polish gel.

Hope this helps

so tonight in class we started gels and we tried this it is awsome works perfect we just used the opi clear building gel and an opi polish thanks again my students loved playing between this and the making your own glitter gel they dont know which one to start practicing first

Fab timing! I was just about to do a search to see if this was possible. Hurrah, that's my weekend sorted! Thanks, hun.

Those are identical to the silver pots of EZ Flow 'gel-it', also sold by
user jnail.

Wonder if her prices are better?

I'll probably stick with my paint by number pots for now. They take up much less room:green:

Latest posts

Back