Vinylux-Is anyone experiencing problems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reasons why I think Vinylux is not working for all:
Too thick of an application or too much top coat.
Leaving it on for too long.
Not shaking the bottle. You can SHAKE it. It's not traditional polish and doesn't bubble. If you don't shake it, the solvents evaporate faster than intended.
Not using solar oil. As we all know, nail product dry out our nails, even polish!

Not shaking the bottle. You can SHAKE it. It's not traditional polish and doesn't bubble. If you don't shake it the solvents may separate and not mix thoroughly.
Not using solar oil.
As we all know, nail products dry out our nails, even polish!
Can I add a few more? :biggrin:

I have not had any staining with VINYLUX but if you experience it, it is because you are ...
Applying Vinylux to damaged nail surfaces,
Not actually removing Vinylux correctly, and you are rubbing pigment into the damaged surface instead of removing it or ...
You are Not using the recommended remover.

There is no reason that VINYLUX should stain a normal healthy nail ... None at all, because despite we not having to apply a base coat, that doesn't mean that there is not one built in already and in a chemical sense there is, because when you apply VINYLUX it lays down a barrier between the pigment and the nail ... Very clever and very effective and very time-saving for those who follow the correct protocols for application and removal. So there is a base layer ... We just don't have to apply it !:biggrin:

Last edited:
Not shaking the bottle. You can SHAKE it. It's not traditional polish and doesn't bubble. If you don't shake it, the solvents evaporate faster than intended.
Not using solar oil. As we all know, nail product dry out our nails, even polish!

I thought that we must really shake the colour but do not shake top coat..?

You shake the top coat as well...

I thought that we must really shake the colour but do not shake top coat..?

Yes I'm sure that's what WeeFee said. She'd spoken to R&D at CND and they said its not necessary to shake the topcoat.

Found it under the topic Vinylux Topcoat:

"Ladies and Gentlemen of SG, I have to apologies. Earlier in this thread I gave you some incorrect information. I've been in touch with one of CND's senior research chemists over the past couple of days and I realise I had some wrong information. I'm very sorry, I've been more than a little upset about it and I hope I've not totally confused anyone - that's the opposite of my goal here!
So here's the deal:

- Vinylux Colour needs to be shaken to blend the ingredients together prior to application (just like CND Shellac does).

- Vinylux Weekly Top Coat DOES NOT require to be shaken (that's why it doesn't contain any little BBs, there is no need to blend the formula, it stays blended - great observation Jenfleur!).

Now I have been assured that shaking the Top Coat causes no problems (of course I've been shaking mine since I first started using it pre launch date and have never experienced one problem with it). The only problem with shaking the Vinylux Weekly Top Coat is that it's a waste of your time - what we know now is that shaking it will not solve the problems some of you have been describing in this thread, and that's what I advised you, so once again my apologies. "

:)

I don't understand one thing..... and no shouting please because I love CND and all related to it.

Normal polishes don't cause the dryness of the nail. With Vinylux it appears to be the case. That's clearly no good, is it?

Not everyone wants to buy a bottle of oil. All my Shellac/Gel/Acrylic customers use solar oil but now there is yet another product that without Solar Oil will cause dryness and brittle nails....

I know how fab SO is and I always recommend it and educate my clients but as we know not everyone listens to us and wants to use it. So I guess as a responsible therapist if customer is not willing to invest in SO I should offer them alternative to Vinylux- normal polish....At least alternatives are in stock, available for purchase at any time.

Wouldn't it be easier and beautiful if Vinylux, just like any other polish, didn't cause the dryness of the nails.....

Ps. I've see some terribly dehydrated toenails after few weeks of V. Never been a case with OPI.

Any product that is on the nail for a prolonged amount of time is going to contribute to dehydration. I experienced this big time when I was lazy with Shellac on my toes. :o Just inform your clients when you give them aftercare and if they choose to not take your professional advice then it's not the end of the world.

I also echo the fact that you do not shake the top coat. This was confirmed in my Polished Nail Course.

Also, I tried removing my V on my toes that had been on a few weeks, with DColour seeing as this is what is being sold to clients to remove. It was taking about three minutes to completely remove each nail, doing it correctly and as specified here, so I stopped after a couple of toes and used DSolve instead which cut the time down to a more acceptable level for doing clients. There is no way I would allocate the thirty minutes that it would have taken using DColour if this was a client.

Last edited:
I was using nourishing remover and actually took about 3 mins per foot! After 5 weeks of it being on!! I'm thinking we could just sell the bigger bottles to them? But actually not one of my clients has had a problem getting it off x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

So I have decided to give vinylux one more shot so I got two of my longest nail polish clients to come in, one for fingers and one for toes. Both of which have zoya polish and not shellac or gelcolor.

Client one has had shellac before but said it didn't last any longer than her zoya with lumos. So I pepped nails, with cuticle away and scrubfresh, also used nail fresh this time (I love this product) Applied grape gum and off she went. Phone call today to say they were all chipped after 2 days and she would never have it again. And she found it a nightmare to get off!!!

Clients two has toe nails done followed same procedure, used red baroness, came in today, two weeks later and said it was all chipped and it needed redone, she has never had this before and wants them re-done with zoya as she can get 5-6 weeks without a chip only re-growth!

Client three, I couldn't fit her in so she got her nails done at another salon with vinylux, therapist was raving about it, came in to me today and said it chipped in a couple of days, she normally paints her own with opi and it lasts longer. So it seems its not just my application.

I am gutted as I really thought this would be the answer to match with shellac, but I feel now I am leaning even more to opi gelcolor as the polish that matches it is excellent.

Unfortunely I have never had so many complaints since I took on vinylux so I am withdrawing it from my salon, one thing I have learnt is if something ain't broke don't fix it, certainly try before you get swallowed up with all the hype and invest a lot of money in something that doesn't suit you.

I know that this review with offend a few people but it is an honest review from someone with experience of many different products.

Believe me there is no one more disappointed than me with all the complaints I have had :-(

just a quick question are you using the vinylux top coat with the vinylux colour application?

Hi. Can I ask, if you use Brita Lite Smoothing Gel to smooth out ridges would you remove the inhibition layer before applying Vinylux or just paint directly on top of it?
XX

I am loving vinylux! I read up on it on CND site they specifically address it isn't the best option for nails with ridges and or visible damage. Basically it's a great long-lasting polish for someone with healthy normal nails.

Hi. Can I ask, if you use Brita Lite Smoothing Gel to smooth out ridges would you remove the inhibition layer before applying Vinylux or just paint directly on top of it?
XX

I believe you paint directly on top of inhibition layer, although I personally prefer to complete the blsg service, then apply vinylux, as it can be removed as clients have done.

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

XX

I would remove, as that's uncured product. X

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean :hug:

Sorry not very clear you said in your post that you applied the colour coat and away she went did you apply colour and then vinylux top coat or just the colour?

The brighter/darker colours have been staining for me too. Tutti Fruity, Purple Purple, Wildfire, Hot Pop Pink. Bear in mind I am only practicing on friends and family but it's still annoying for them when they have to buff off the colour because it's stained. I've started using negligee as a base coat when I'm doing bright colours now.

Yes I always use top coat

Latest posts

Back