VTCT Nail Technology

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitten

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is doing this course right now - I'm not starting it until Feb & want to know what's covered (impatient spice!) - e.g. am I going to learn acrylic, gel and fibreglass techniques or concentrate on one of these? Thanks for any help geeks! xxx

I did this and we learned prep, consultation, Health & Safety, how to apply tips and application of gel. I had to do a seperate course for the fibreglass and acrylic.

hi i think it all depends on your college in wat system u do as mine only does fibreglass xx

I learnt gel nails first then had to do another course to do l&P and fibreglass. All I can say is start reading a good book like the encyclopedia of nails or the complete nail techician to get a good grounding (oh and keep looking at this site) because if your course is anything like mine was I would have been better off reading the books than doing the course. Needless to say I have since done the Creative conversion course. Hopefully your college will be heaps better than mine was. Oh and get a nail trainer (you soon run out of willing victims to practice on).

It depends on the college and your tutor...mine covered manciure, essential to know prior to learning about nail enhancments, then it convered L&P (Liquid and Powder) as a system and we finished the course on nail art...

Of course inbetween was all the theory work on health and saftey, ethics etc...it was challenging and fun, I am sure you will love it...

Kitten said:
Just wondering if anyone is doing this course right now - I'm not starting it until Feb & want to know what's covered (impatient spice!) - e.g. am I going to learn acrylic, gel and fibreglass techniques or concentrate on one of these? Thanks for any help geeks! xxx
Hi Bea

You know I assumed the VTCT qualification encompassed all 3 systems so I've learned something new from the responses here. My one was actually called "VTCT Nail Technician" in the prospectus, and it covered diplomas in Manicure, Advanced Nail Techniques (L&P, Fibreglass and Gel) as well as Nail Art.

Give your college a call to double-check because obviously it seems that some of us have covered different content for the VTCT qualification and you'll be sitting here wondering what's in store for the next 3/4 months until you get started otherwise!

Hi kitten
im doing the vtct coarse at the moment,it covers health and safety,laws and legislations,structure of the nail and gel extentions and application lots of theory work at the moment and assignments but all good fun ,my college do not teach acrylics or fibreglass so i guess i will have to do another coarse for that.

linzi x
if youve got any questions about it feel free to pm me.

Hi Molly,
I think we must have got taught by the same person because I felt exactly the same as you only I don't have the confidence to do the Conversion, think I'll have to go back and do the Foundation course. Did you get taught by TB by any chance?

Hi Kitten
Did VTCT last year at local college. Health& Safety stuff etc covered in detail but found actual practical stuff not that great....only did uv gel although i do know previous tutor did teach all 3 systems! as i was already qualified in all 3 it wasn't so bad for me but for all the other students i think there should have been more focus on practical (maintenance/problems/removal)-a demo on one nail not really enough!!
Get the Encyclopedia or Complete Nail Technician these truly are fantatstic books. as with all government courses it does all depend on the college/tutor - try speaking to someone who has done the course at your college.
good luck!!!
clarexx

Yes I did for the l&p but by someone else for the gel. I left not knowing about proper prep (wondered why nails fell off and were lifting), didnt even know that there was more than 1 different grit file, wasn't taught about ratio, the list goes on. As for sculpting, was shown what a form looked like and was told that nobody does it anymore as its old fashioned.

Molly,
Pretty disgusting isn't it. Some people just aren't meant to teach and she was one of them. Prep???? Did they know what that was? At least you have went on to educate yourself further, I know girls who after getting nails falling off, lifting etc, etc, have just give up. I'm saving hard to get some pennies together to do the foundation and get taught properly.

I have to admit it nearly put me off for good cause I thought I was just no good at it! It's quite worrying that so many people can be qualified so easily. I wish I had of known then what I know now and would have just went straight for the Creative foundation and learnt the correct techniques - but you live and learn (and am I still learning!).

molly said:
Yes I did for the l&p but by someone else for the gel. I left not knowing about proper prep (wondered why nails fell off and were lifting), didnt even know that there was more than 1 different grit file, wasn't taught about ratio, the list goes on. As for sculpting, was shown what a form looked like and was told that nobody does it anymore as its old fashioned.
Molly if that was the case about files etc you should put a complaint into the college's head tutor and if now recourse is given on the lack of tutoring then go to the governing body ie VTCT/NVQ

...if we (nail technicians) don't address these issues then more and more uneducated technicians leave the door, who dont have the foresight for progressive learning unlike yourself will never know any better

.......you will be doing a service to the industry :D

Hi my VTCT covered nail structure, manicure (not pedicure) applying and blending tips (weekenders) natural nail overlay in fibreglass, acrylic including permanent french (werent taught how to maintain them though!!) no gel, although i found this quite simple to pick up. We were given quite a bit of homework to do too. Again, i came away 'qualified' (use the term lightly) but not feeling it! doing my creative conversion next Monday......Yippeeeee x

exactly how long does vtct in nail techniques last? one year is it? Bad teachers are making a mockery of the qualification... college techniques can (not all ) be so far behind... I know what Marie was taught and luckily she has researched and sought further training herself... no student should leave " not sure"! on the beauty therapy courses you MUST be assessed on several clients on every section... perhaps this should be brought in on nails also.. all criteria should be covered before this qualification is handed out.. this is sad because as a result because as a result i know of some salons that will not even accept this qualification from prospective techs and prefer to employ those who have been manufacturer trained... it seems some people teach for the money and not for the passion of their subject... Maybe its different in most areas but sadly the area marie, molly and myself is from has suffered at the incompetence of such teachers...

Hi there

Does anyone know of a college in Hampshire/Surrey that runs the VTCT?

Thanks

marie111 said:
I did this and we learned prep, consultation, Health & Safety, how to apply tips and application of gel. I had to do a seperate course for the fibreglass and acrylic.
Hi i'm curently doing this course and at the mo we are doing consultation and health and safety we will be learning the same as above but we won't be doing Acrylic.

hth

Hi All
I hope I can be of some help here but there are so many issues that will try to keep it short!
I think there are 2 different types of qualifications being talked about here.
VTCT/VAI have 2 types: NVQ and non-NVQ. Their non-NVQ is the one that includes Advanced Nail Techniques. (this is based on the NVQ Standards but they are now the old ones)
I am fairly sure that the syllabus for that requires a thorough knowledge of one system and a good knowledge of the other 2 plus all the maintenence and removal skills.
What is so worrying about this thread is that everyone seems yo have different requiremenmts for the same qualification :eek: If this is the one mentioned above they should not differ at all!!!!!!! Including the fact that all systems should be covered.

Louise was right; if there is any doubt or anyone has obviously poor training they should contact the Awarding Body (in this case VTCT). College standards will not improve unless we make noises.

You should be taught by qualified and experienced technicians NOT beauty therapists who have done a short course :evil:

As a quick clarification of the NVQ requirements (another whole story!) Anyone starting an NVQ now will be doing the new version (the old one: B19 etc still applies but cannot be started now)

All the usual health & safety, anatomy and physiology etc applies. In NVQ Level 2 there is manicure, pedicure, artificial nails (fibreglass only), basic nail art.
Level 3 includes artificial nails (all systems thoroughly), maintenance and removal as a separate unit, advanced nail art (incl airbrushing, embedding etc) and designing nail art.

The syllabus SHOULD NOT differ from college to college. Level of training will obviously differ and an expert technician (and teacher) is the best one to learn from.

Hope it answers a few queries

Marian

Thanks everyone who gave me their help on this - I think I'll call my college and ask them what is going to be covered & see what they come back with. Marian - thanks for your clarification - I mistakenly thought all VTCT courses led to NVQ's - another thing for me to check out! Thanks all! xxx

Hi I'm doing a VTCT qualification and have to do mani/pedi first and then I go onto advance nail tech next year, and I just found out that I will be doing acrylic light (liquid and powder but using a uv lamp) as it doesn't dry until you put the persons hand under the lamp which gives you the extra time to practise. Also fibreglass wrap inc. silk wrap. But I don't know if your course will be the same as mine. I had to do the mani and pedi before I could do the advance, but that's good as it's giving me the confidence to move on and also I'm learning all health & safety etc.

I would recommend the books also I have found them to be very helpful whilst doing my course and you can always use them after you have finished to look up things you may have forgotten.

good luck :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back