Wage advice, what do you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinless

Reaction score
Hi geeks.... you`re alright ?

I hope one or some of you could help me with an advice about the following wage scheme that someone sent me. I will not make any names, just need to know your honest opinion. Thank you guys.
Basic
1st month rent free +
70/30% revenue share

2nd month 50% reduction in rent +
70/30% revenue share

3rd month 50% reduction in rent
+ 70/30% revenue share

4th month full rent £200 pwk
+25% revenue share

I live in Hatfield, the salon is in north west London (harrow) It takes me about 1 hour to get there and it costs me about 10 GBP.
Could you tell me your honest opinion ?
Thank you !

In all honestly £200 pw seems expensive to me but im no where near London so that may affect it. Hopefully a local geek will be along to advise x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Nope nope nope, personally is say shove it where the sun don't shine. No way would I pay rent and only take 25% of my earnings.
If you are a renter your self employed, so all money's made are yours, you pay your rent, or do a %split and that's it, end of. They are doing you over xoxo

It`s a new salon, in south harrow (very poor area), very posh by the looks of it and they are hitting the market with 40 quid a hair cut (starting from). From my point of view they are asking too much from the salon, cuz there is no way south harrow will pay 40 quid a haircut. besides that they did not told me if I need to bring my own tints or styling products, so I presume yes, i have to bring them!

I worked freelance within a salon, in Berkshire-some salons London prices others not-I worked as a colour technician and it was on a 30-70% basis. She took 70% she also supplied all products and the salon had a receptionist so I can and did my work and left

Tomme is right, either or % / rent.
Personally I think £200 a week is a huge amount for an area if it is not wealthy, that is 800 a month before you make a profit! Xx

I worked freelance within a salon, in Berkshire-some salons London prices others not-I worked as a colour technician and it was on a 30-70% basis. She took 70% she also supplied all products and the salon had a receptionist so I can and did my work and left

She took 70%!!! OMG! I think thats huggeeeeeee

I rented chairs in my salon for £200 a week, but I didnt take a percentage on top. £200 a week is pretty normal for a good salon around London. £40 a haircut is mid-price, not top end.
A good stylist with a decent clientele would expect to bring in around £1200 to £1500 a week, so the rent is pretty reasonable.

Please remember that salons around London have vast overheads, so this 50 quid a week for a chair doesnt exist.

I rented chairs in my salon for £200 a week, but I didnt take a percentage on top. £200 a week is pretty normal for a good salon around London. £40 a haircut is mid-price, not top end.
A good stylist with a decent clientele would expect to bring in around £1200 to £1500 a week, so the rent is pretty reasonable.

Please remember that salons around London have vast overheads, so this 50 quid a week for a chair doesnt exist.

I Understand perfectly what you are saying, but in a poor area, where the haircut across the street is 10 - 15 quid for ladies and 5 for men, would you go and pay 40 quid to a new salon where you don`t know anybody ?
I wouldn`t, especially in this times of crisis ! But this is just me and maybe I am thinking with my heart and not my brain. I e-mailed them asking for a different approach on the wage and they said no in a very nice way.
Keep looking... :D

I think it was pretty fair. She provided all stock, a receptionist and trainees and liability insurance....my clients were confirmed 48hrs ahead of the service, skin test were carried out if I was not in salon to do them and I did the hours e suited me as I was pregnant at the time. I was earning between £12-£18 per hour which is a decent wage I think for our industry :) I work elsewhere now on a set daily rate which works out at £12 per hour plus commission-works well for me now having a set wage as I have to know that I'm earning a minimum.

service

I think it was pretty fair. She provided all stock, a receptionist and trainees and liability insurance....my clients were confirmed 48hrs ahead of the service, skin test were carried out if I was not in salon to do them and I did the hours e suited me as I was pregnant at the time. I was earning between £12-£18 per hour which is a decent wage I think for our industry :) I work elsewhere now on a set daily rate which works out at £12 per hour plus commission-works well for me now having a set wage as I have to know that I'm earning a minimum. :) in my area your looking at £60+ for a half head in 90% of salons £85+ for a full an £40+ for haircuts

service

Latest posts

Back