Water vs oil-Doug Schoon explains

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's so frustrating as a trainee to have out dated info. We have been taught soak, chamois etc- although I would still do as a traditional mani if needed- isn't going to kill anyone a minute in hand soak and does feel lovely. But, my tutor for example doesn't know you can get soak off sculpting gel, told a client in an observation the kind of tips I was using would all break and were only for art (pro impressions clear advance) I could have died. It feels link soaking etc should be taught as a history of manicure section lol!! I'm 7 months into my vctc level 2 nail tech and it is so hard to think all the main elements- gel, acrylic and gel polish are almost pointless and I will need additional training and no one has traditional treatments anywhere near as often. Sad that those of us investing in a full qualification are almost no better off at the end than a one day course! Sad :-/

It's so frustrating as a trainee to have out dated info. We have been taught soak, chamois etc- although I would still do as a traditional mani if needed- isn't going to kill anyone a minute in hand soak and does feel lovely. But, my tutor for example doesn't know you can get soak off sculpting gel, told a client in an observation the kind of tips I was using would all break and were only for art (pro impressions clear advance) I could have died. It feels link soaking etc should be taught as a history of manicure section lol!! I'm 7 months into my vctc level 2 nail tech and it is so hard to think all the main elements- gel, acrylic and gel polish are almost pointless and I will need additional training and no one has traditional treatments anywhere near as often. Sad that those of us investing in a full qualification are almost no better off at the end than a one day course! Sad :-/

Thats awful. I only did a one day mani pedi to begin with to earn some cash to get a proper qualification but puts me off going to college if its not better either :/

Can I ask what the up to date alternative to buffing paste and chamois is then please? I've only done it a few times anyway but would still like to know, hate being left behind!

A little off topic but I've always been curious. What's the benefit of using a chamois buffer other than a high gloss shine? I've never used one as I was never trained to use one. It was one of the prohibited implements in my state. Is it the same as a glossing buffer or the girlfriend file?

Thats awful. I only did a one day mani pedi to begin with to earn some cash to get a proper qualification but puts me off going to college if its not better either :/

You wouldn't beat the theory- I've done anatomy and physiology and learnt so much more than I expected in that sense but we could do with the content modernising- ill still be proud to have qualified after the long slog- just feel like Its a little lacking. Never stop learning though do we whatever training we have x

A little off topic but I've always been curious. What's the benefit of using a chamois buffer other than a high gloss shine? I've never used one as I was never trained to use one. It was one of the prohibited implements in my state. Is it the same as a glossing buffer or the girlfriend file?

Its exactly the same as a glossing buffer and the girlfriend...but at colleges they teach the ancient method of using it with a buffing cream :confused:

Just curious, why was a chamois buffer prohibited?

We are fine to do a short soak using CND almond milk bath or CND citrus oil bath aren't we....? Per our CND Spa-tacular training? I guess so as this part of the service is just a few minutes soak rather than the 5+ mins that Doug talks off.....:?:

You wouldn't beat the theory- I've done anatomy and physiology and learnt so much more than I expected in that sense but we could do with the content modernising- ill still be proud to have qualified after the long slog- just feel like Its a little lacking. Never stop learning though do we whatever training we have x

That is a very important thing to remember.

I've done my HND 10 years ago - I think that's NVQ 3? Not 100% but it's a fully qualified beauty therapist. I then decided that I should start from the beginning with nails and did a CND foundation. I've trained more over the years and pour over every tidbit of information i can get and I'll be a cnd grandmaster (omg! :D) come Monday. But I'll never stop learning.

I think when you think there is nothing new to learn that it's time to leave the business :)

Thank tou to Marian for posting.

Last edited:

yeah we only did an hour or two theory in the one day. Was very basic but i have an a level biology and half a biomedical science degree so I think I will be ok with the anatomy just the contraindications etc that I felt were done too quick but gonna research them some more so im more prepared. I will deffinately look into it then!

Just curious, why was a chamois buffer prohibited?

It's different in every state, but certain techniques, products, and implements are prohibited. I'm really not sure why the chamois buffer was on the list but things like credo blades or other razor-type implements, bar soap, and porous non-disposable implements that cannot be immersed in EPA approved disinfectant are not allowed.

Gigi, do you have a link for any of these please. I've had a look but can only find ones that use a soak so I am assuming these aren't the official CND ones. Thanks. I too had been taught soak, side to centre filing and chamois buffers (eek!) so I am interested in re-educating myself! Any recommendations for replacing the soak for those ladies who love the experience, especially the smell.
Thanks x

cnd.com

You can sign up as a uk resident, or wherever you're from :) and read the step by steps and watch the videos :)

Can I ask what the up to date alternative to buffing paste and chamois is then please? I've only done it a few times anyway but would still like to know, hate being left behind!

Anyone please?

That is a very important thing to remember.

I've done my HND 10 years ago - I think that's NVQ 3? Not 100% but it's a fully qualified beauty therapist. I then decided that I should start from the beginning with nails and did a CND foundation. I've trained more over the years and pour over every tidbit of information i can get and I'll be a cnd grandmaster (omg! :D) come Monday. But I'll never stop learning.

I think when you think there is nothing new to learn that it's time to leave the business :)

Thank tou to Marian for posting.

I think it's NVQ L4 hon I did mine a few years back and sure it says 4 on the back of my cert xoxo

Samantha
xoxo
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek iPhone app

Cuticle will soften with new and innovative products like CND Cuticle Away .. it practically dissolves the cuticle on the nail plate and removes it gently without outdated methods of scraping and pushing that can harm the surface of the nail plate.

The beauty industry really has to keep up with these things and stop teaching out-dated methods such as using chamois leather buffers and buffing paste, which no one ever uses again, and old fashioned cuticle knives when no one uses those either because there are much better implements now for doing the job.

Filing technique .. with modern files and buffers we no longer have to take ages filing from side to centre to avoid ripping up the nail ... we are not using coarse sand paper files any longer but new materials that will actually help 'seal' the edge of the nail plate when used back and forth!!

When teaching is in the dark ages, and the students know more than the teachers ... it is not a good thing and wastes everyone's time and money.

I could not agree more with this comment!! But sometimes it feels like you're fighting a losing battle when you're the only person saying this and there's a whole team of teachers preaching 'old school' ways. It can be very disheartening when those same teachers then tell YOUR learners that YOU are teaching them the wrong thing! A massive bugbear of mine

Please don't think I am making excuses or being negative because I'm not (just speaking from my own personal experiences). I would always back my corner but unfortunately 'standardization meetings' are very often a 'majority vote' and if your in the minority then old school ways prevail and sometimes those ways are very much outdated. The one good thing is that with things like nails and waxing there is a code of practice so these were always my bibles at such meetings and very often I would refer to them to back my point. Didn't always work though!

I know some might say 'what's the point in a year/2 year course if all were being taught is outdated ways?' My response is that, having been in this position, I always taught 'the college way' and 'industry way' so that my learners were aware of what they needed to do for assessments and what they needed for industry. Again some might say 'what's the point/how time consuming' but that was my way around it and it worked for me and my learners. Yes time consuming but at least I knew I was teaching up to date stuff even if I was constantly being told 'your way is wrong our way is right'

For anyone looking at doing a course in nails do NOT be afraid to ask at interview when the lecturer did their training, how long have they been in the industry, when did they last do a set of nails themselves, what systems have they trained in, what systems are in the college kit, what do they think of the Habia codes of practice? You'd be amazed how many people in this industry haven't even heard of Habia!!

Just because someone has more experience in years doesn't always mean they are up to date with current industry standards and practices. It is not courses that are the problem it is people who teach that do not do enough quality CPD to enhance and further their own knowledge. It never ceases to amaze me how many teachers there are who think they know it all. But there are just as many who are fiercely passionate as well :)

I'm not saying all teachers are like this so I hope no one is offended by my comments but I feel this is true based upon my own experiences

Sorry if I've gone off topic a bit
Samantha
xoxo

Samantha
xoxo

Cuticle will soften with new and innovative products like CND Cuticle Away .. it practically dissolves the cuticle on the nail plate and removes it gently without outdated methods of scraping and pushing that can harm the surface of the nail plate.

The beauty industry really has to keep up with these things and stop teaching out-dated methods such as using chamois leather buffers and buffing paste, which no one ever uses again, and old fashioned cuticle knives when no one uses those either because there are much better implements now for doing the job.

Filing technique .. with modern files and buffers we no longer have to take ages filing from side to centre to avoid ripping up the nail ... we are not using coarse sand paper files any longer but new materials that will actually help 'seal' the edge of the nail plate when used back and forth!!

When teaching is in the dark ages, and the students know more than the teachers ... it is not a good thing and wastes everyone's time and money.

When I did my nvq2 back in 2011 this was exactly how I was taught, so glad I also trained with CND and learnt the modern way. College was so old fashioned even with the waxing, and facials! So glad I read this thread.

It's different in every state, but certain techniques, products, and implements are prohibited. I'm really not sure why the chamois buffer was on the list but things like credo blades or other razor-type implements, bar soap, and porous non-disposable implements that cannot be immersed in EPA approved disinfectant are not allowed.

That totally makes sense...although must be very confusing if you move from one state to another.

I could not agree more with this comment!! But sometimes it feels like you're fighting a losing battle when you're the only person saying this and there's a whole team of teachers preaching 'old school' ways. It can be very disheartening when those same teachers then tell YOUR learners that YOU are teaching them the wrong thing! A massive bugbear of mine

Please don't think I am making excuses or being negative because I'm not (just speaking from my own personal experiences). I would always back my corner but unfortunately 'standardization meetings' are very often a 'majority vote' and if your in the minority then old school ways prevail and sometimes those ways are very much outdated. The one good thing is that with things like nails and waxing there is a code of practice so these were always my bibles at such meetings and very often I would refer to them to back my point. Didn't always work though!

I know some might say 'what's the point in a year/2 year course if all were being taught is outdated ways?' My response is that, having been in this position, I always taught 'the college way' and 'industry way' so that my learners were aware of what they needed to do for assessments and what they needed for industry. Again some might say 'what's the point/how time consuming' but that was my way around it and it worked for me and my learners. Yes time consuming but at least I knew I was teaching up to date stuff even if I was constantly being told 'your way is wrong our way is right'

For anyone looking at doing a course in nails do NOT be afraid to ask at interview when the lecturer did their training, how long have they been in the industry, when did they last do a set of nails themselves, what systems have they trained in, what systems are in the college kit, what do they think of the Habia codes of practice? You'd be amazed how many people in this industry haven't even heard of Habia!!

Just because someone has more experience in years doesn't always mean they are up to date with current industry standards and practices. It is not courses that are the problem it is people who teach that do not do enough quality CPD to enhance and further their own knowledge. It never ceases to amaze me how many teachers there are who think they know it all. But there are just as many who are fiercely passionate as well :)

I'm not saying all teachers are like this so I hope no one is offended by my comments but I feel this is true based upon my own experiences

Sorry if I've gone off topic a bit
Samantha
xoxo

Samantha
xoxo

I know you are right in all of this. This is because the colleges and they system are run by beauty therapists! Nail technicians created the Standards (including me) but they are interpreted by beauty therapists.

Historically, BT's do not like anything more adventurous than a manicure. Generally speaking, BT's feel that nail technology is an inferior service/career and they can do it anyway without training or experience (I am speaking generally as there are plenty of BT's not like this. There just seem to be a lot in FE colleges). Many colleges cannot afford to have separate lecturers for the 2 subjects, especially as manicure/pedicure is in basic beauty, but they have to offer Nail Services as it is popular and they need the funding. So what happens? Beauty therapists are teaching nail services.

Even though the Standards don't include chamois buffers, for example, it is in many Awarding Bodies own syllabus, e.g. ITEC, and they will NOT change it because they know better!

I know you are right in all of this. This is because the colleges and they system are run by beauty therapists! Nail technicians created the Standards (including me) but they are interpreted by beauty therapists.

Historically, BT's do not like anything more adventurous than a manicure. Generally speaking, BT's feel that nail technology is an inferior service/career and they can do it anyway without training or experience (I am speaking generally as there are plenty of BT's not like this. There just seem to be a lot in FE colleges). Many colleges cannot afford to have separate lecturers for the 2 subjects, especially as manicure/pedicure is in basic beauty, but they have to offer Nail Services as it is popular and they need the funding. So what happens? Beauty therapists are teaching nail services.

Even though the Standards don't include chamois buffers, for example, it is in many Awarding Bodies own syllabus, e.g. ITEC, and they will NOT change it because they know better!

Well said mum :) xoxo

Samantha
xoxo

Latest posts

Back