Wax/Tint disclaimers accepted by Insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifi La Fume

Reaction score
If someone comes in and doesn't want a patch test would you risk it and get them to sign a disclaimer and go ahead with the treatment?

For the sake of a tenner no I wouldn't !!

I know for a fact that my insurer does not accept them so I would be in big trouble if i went ahead & something went wrong, :rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking - it's horrible when you get the 'well I've had it done for years' reply when you try and explain....

I'm waiting for my insurance to get back to me about disclaimers but i think I'd panic the whole way through the treatment, especially the tinting.

I even had the salon owner siding with a client once that said the same thing :irked:

I always say that I have been having my eyelashes tinted for years then my friend (also a therapist) tinted my lashes with a different brand & I had a reaction, felt like my eyes were on fire :eek: I then make a point of saying that a reaction can happen to anyone at anytime & I will not do a tint without a skin test first.

If they still don't like it refer them to another salon !

Simple answer ... Not on your life! Just not worth the risk and I am not going to let a client dictate to me how to run my business.

Do you insist on a patch/skin test on all your new waxing clients then? Going to check what my insurance says on waxing.

edit:
Have just checked and it only specifies a skin test for tinting brows and lashes, which i do for all new clients, but it doesnt mention that you need it for waxing.

Ive never known a patch test to be a requirement for waxing with insurance.
If you do a detailed consultation you should be able to decide for yourself if they might be extra sensitive to waxing and then patch test EVERYTHING you are going to use on them.

every single new client should be patch tested for tinting, no matter what

it is just not worth it, if something were to go wrong

I was also taught that if they haven't had a tint for 6 months they should be retested anyway - even if they have been with you before.

i've always done a patch test on all new clietns and on any that haven't had any tinting done for 6 monthsor over...better to be safe than sorry!

at our salon we also do hairdressing, obviously all clients wanting a colour done have to have a patch test (Same as lash/brow tinting) but there was this one lady who was quite narky about having it done, she came in and said " is it going to take long my child is in the car, i've never in my life had to have one before". Which i thought was terrible, how many salons, hair and beauty alike, are not giving patch tests. It really is not worth the risk, not only will you have to face being sued but bad word of mouth could ruin your business for good.

at our salon we also do hairdressing, obviously all clients wanting a colour done have to have a patch test (Same as lash/brow tinting) but there was this one lady who was quite narky about having it done, she came in and said " is it going to take long my child is in the car, i've never in my life had to have one before". Which i thought was terrible, how many salons, hair and beauty alike, are not giving patch tests. It really is not worth the risk, not only will you have to face being sued but bad word of mouth could ruin your business for good.

I have had my hair coloured at so many salons and NOT ONE of them ever did a skin test on me - is it a requirement that it is done in hair salons too?

I have had my hair coloured at so many salons and NOT ONE of them ever did a skin test on me - is it a requirement that it is done in hair salons too?

Well if you had your hair coloured at a salon and you were allergic to the products you could take them to the cleaners if they hadn't done a patch test. It's the same if you did an eyelash tint without doing a patch test, if they had a reaction you would be in deep touble!! I'm not a hairdresser myself so i don't know the ins and outs of the insurance but our hairdresser at work won't colour anybody's hair unless they have had a patch test first.

No way! I react to eyelash tint, so I now how uncomfortable it can be. I'd never take a chance with a client.

Does anyone patch test for waxing? Most salons in Dublin are patch testing for waxing now.

I remember when I first qualified in 1995 :cry: patch tests were unheard of. I did leave beauty for a while and took a refresher course to make sure I was still up to date, things hadn't changed that much but hygiene and safety are far more relevant than it was then.

I have only been given a patch test once when I have had my hair coloured and that was at college. Every other time in professional salons, they just go straight ahead. Scary!

Hi,

It would be advisable to insist on a patch test. I know the Guild will not accept disclaimers in the case of a claim, and I believe other insurance companies have similar rules.

If your client tries to tell you has had it done before etc, then it is worth pointing out that every product is different. She cannot be sure that your product has the same ingredients, and therefore cannot know whether she is likely to suffer any kind of reaction to it.

The patch test is there not only for your clients safety, but also for your own protection against a claim.

Does anyone patch test for waxing? Most salons in Dublin are patch testing for waxing now.

I remember when I first qualified in 1995 :cry: patch tests were unheard of. I did leave beauty for a while and took a refresher course to make sure I was still up to date, things hadn't changed that much but hygiene and safety are far more relevant than it was then.

Hi,
I patch test before waxing every new client and if they haven't been for 6 months. I was taught this when I was training and just feel happier doing it this way.

I always explain to new tint clients that the patch test is for THEIR OWN safety (it's better for them to find out on a patch of skin rather than their eyes if they have an allergy) and for my insurance purposes and that if they don't have the patch test done, I can't do the treatment. If you get in the explanation first, they should be ok with you. Even though I've never had anyone react to the tint, and I've been a beauty therapist for 11 years, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back