Waxing mature dry skin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candystarrstarr

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Would like a little advice from you wax geeks if poss :)

I'm still fairly new to waxing and tonight I waxed my mum but when I was doing her legs I was finding it really and I mean really difficult to get the wax to come off her legs using the paper strip!! Her legs were very dry and she also has mature 50+ skin it was like her skin was absorbing the wax lol.

Does this ever happen to any of you? And if so can you give me any tips to make it a bit easier? :)

Thanks all x x x

I find this also and sometimes they have quite a few ingrowing hairs so when the legs have been waxed the hairs become visible if you know what I mean I find on people with dry skin even when I apply an oil before hand it is still a really frustrating treatment as I seem to end up doing loads of tweeting, so I would love to hear loads of advice to.

Tweezing not tweeting lol

Trouble with older dry skin is it doesn't renew as rapidly as young skin so its especially important for them to exfoliate and moisturise regularly between appointments.
Use oil and work in smaller areas and work as thinly as possible.

Unfortunately my legs are as old as me and I have this problem.

If your clients are good they will do all the exfoliation etc and it will make a huge difference. My clients that do are so much easier than the ones that promise they will but don't!

Make sure they are warm enough too at this time of year as cooler skin, especially when dry, will hang on to the wax. It can also depend on which wax you are using and which strips. Salonserve do a Superstrip which is different from a paper strip and they do work better or try a fabric strip, they are a pain to use as they flick around but they are better with this type of skin.

A little oil on the skin then blot with some couch roll will help as the others have said and working quickly in smaller areas. :D

Unfortunately my legs are as old as me and I have this problem.

If your clients are good they will do all the exfoliation etc and it will make a huge difference. My clients that do are so much easier than the ones that promise they will but don't!

Make sure they are warm enough too at this time of year as cooler skin, especially when dry, will hang on to the wax. It can also depend on which wax you are using and which strips. Salonserve do a Superstrip which is different from a paper strip and they do work better or try a fabric strip, they are a pain to use as they flick around but they are better with this type of skin.

A little oil on the skin then blot with some couch roll will help as the others have said and working quickly in smaller areas. :D

Thank you I will definitely give the oil a go next time :)

It was soooo frustrating lol took me forever! X

I apply a warm damp towel over the legs first and give it a bit of a gentle rub, exfoliates and softens the skin before applying wax! Just make sure towel is not to hot. Works every time!!!:)

I apply a warm damp towel over the legs first and give it a bit of a gentle rub, exfoliates and softens the skin before applying wax! Just make sure towel is not to hot. Works every time!!!:)

That's a handy tip,have to try that on one of my clients who never ever moisturisers or exfoliates no matter how much I tell her.

I have gotten this before on my mum around her shin and ankle as well as clients who wear fake tan as that dries out the skin too. I agree with everyone else and apply a little oil or don't wipe off all of the pre-wax cleanser and leave it a little clammy if you know what I mean.
I would do smaller sections around the shin and wax them quickly so it doesn't dry in. If the wax does stick to the skin and wont come off, you can apply a thin layer of wax on top and place your strip on immediately and it should work. Be aware that it can hurt the client if you pull more than a couple of times. If it wont budge then pull it at a slightly sideways angle. If there is still hair there, go work on another area and come back to it so you give that area a break. Bit of rant but hopefully it makes sense.

I don't think it's anything to with older skin really as they're generally easier to wax as the hair is weaker and sparser. As has been said, apply some oil and make sure that you stretch the skin.

Latest posts

Back