Waxing - money maker?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summerlove

Reaction score
I currently do spray tanning which I LOVE! I am thinking of adding something else but I want to be choosy as I don't have much spare cash.

I want something that has a fairly quick return and I think there must be loads of people waxing, I see it as more of a necessity than other treatments.

Can you give me some pros and cons...

Thank you :)
Sx

Pro's are:

Fairly cheap and easy to learn
Kit reasonably cheap
Decent profit margins
Popular treatment - people won't forego their waxing but they will forego their facials

Con's are:

You may have to buy a bed if you don't already have one
You really need to offer intimate waxing because this is so popular so you have to be comfortable up close and personal
You need to consider whether you want to wax men too

You don't say if you are mobile, salon based or home based, but being a mobile waxer is a big ask because of the sheer amount to lug about and the problems of heating wax up quickly.

Just want to echo SJK. I only do waxing and it's very lucrative I can assure you. x

Hmmmmmm thank you, getting excited now I love learning new things!

I'm not 100% though as I have recently moved back home to my parents with hubby and baby in tow! We are going to save to buy a house, so my beauty room is now our bedroom :), so I would be mobile, this obviously works with tanning but not sure how difficult it would be with waxing.

I do have a couch so it would just be the waxing stuff I need to buy. How long does it take to warm the wax up, is there any prepping I can be doing while waiting?

Would you offer mobile waxing? I suppose it would be good to have it as, once we find our own place I could either set up from home, or look for a small room to rent. Decisions decisions....

Waxing is the one thing all my hair clients say I should do! It is a necessity to MOST clients, I could be waxing whilst there hair colours are on lol ... Might do it myself :wink2:

It can work mobile. You can heat the wax at home, then use one of those in-car chargers to keep it warm. Switch the pot on as soon as you get there and do your consultation, set up, prep while it warms up.

The one thing I would say is get a large pot, and have it two-thirds full and get a pot with a lockable lid. One spill and you'll wish you never started.

Hi, I use a roller wax system and heat up at home before and then plug in as soon as I arrive at my clients - by the time you have put your couch up etc its fine! I am interested in getting a lockable wax pot though - anyone recommend one? Thanks Ruth x

I do waxing along with hair and other services 90% of my clients now have waxing. Pot goes on whilst the hair is being done by the time you finished the hair its all melted ready. Great extra earner

Devil's reply - but - please don't offer something 'cos you think you'll make a fast buck. Please be a passionate dedicated professional determined to put service first and retain customers through spectacular treatments.

Service now - profit later x

Devil's reply - but - please don't offer something 'cos you think you'll make a fast buck. Please be a passionate dedicated professional determined to put service first and retain customers through spectacular treatments.

Service now - profit later x

Isn't this the same with every service?! Good reminder :)

Hi Back&Beyond,

I'm sorry but I'm not going to pretend that making money isn't extremely high, if not the highest factor which is important. I have a young family who I am working for. Don't get me wrong, I love doing spray tan treatments and I am sure I will love waxing once I have trained in it. But I'm not ashamed to be looking for a treatment which has a fantastic return!

Sx

Im mobile and did offer Waxing, TILL I had a spill in my car. Never again. If you do it make sure the wax can't spill out.​

i find waxing my most money making treatment. for infills + white (which is probably my most popuklar treatment) i charge £18 and it takes me a hour and a half. with waxing a 1/2 leg and eyebrow wax (which is another popular choice) is £15 and takes me 30min so in the same time i could make £45.
however it did take me a while to get used to waxing as it can be very messy when training. i defo advice a roller system

Im mobile and did offer Waxing, TILL I had a spill in my car. Never again. If you do it make sure the wax can't spill out.​

What happened?!?!

Im mobile and did offer Waxing, TILL I had a spill in my car. Never again. If you do it make sure the wax can't spill out

Ah .. I think she was mobile and did offer waxing but had a spill in her car and because of a loose lid it spilled all over and put her off!

I wouldn't wax mobile. I've also had a spill in my car. I actually cried cuz it's Almost impossible to remove from car carpet!

Waxing in principle is easy to learn, but it's not that easy to master.

You might be better learning something like lash exts, even just cluster lashes, because the clients that have spray tans would most likely also be interested in lashes. And you can do a tan and lashes on the same appointment. Whereas waxing and tanning together is a no-no. And lashes are dead easy to offer mobile. x

Thanks Katelisa, I don't think waxing mobile is the best idea now! But I definitely want to learn it. I just don't get the same urge for eyelash extensions/Myscara etc.
I want to do something that is going to be around for a long time and something that is more of a necessity for ladies rather than a treat :)
Just need to find the time to do the course now!

Ah .. I think she was mobile and did offer waxing but had a spill in her car and because of a loose lid it spilled all over and put her off!

:lol:

don't let people spilling stuff put you off, just find yourself a carry box that fits everything in nice and tight. i took a pic for you of my box but i don't know how to upload pics? so if you know how to upload pics let me know and i will show you how i carry all my stuff :) though there's no secret or magic it really is just a box that fits everything in perfectly :) omg please don't let me of just jinxed myself haha :\
as for heating up the wax then if you can, just put the pot on for a little while at home (you don't even have to melt the wax fully) and then as soon as you get to the clients house plug your wax pot in and go get the rest of your stuff from the car and set up and you're pretty much ready to go.

don't forget that on top of training you'll need to buy other bits and bobs like wax pots, wax goodies, treatment bed, water proof cover aswell as other little extras like something to carry everything in, bedroll, cotton discs, tweezers, scissors, spatulas, bed sanitiser etc.

good luck with what ever you choose you do :) x

Latest posts

Back