Wedding venues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GemsGelish

Reaction score
Hi All, me and my partner have been engaged for a year and a half. We decided not to rush and book the wedding and decided to save for a mortgage instead...so we've moved back in with mine and his parents living out of a suitcase to save for the mortgage and were now half way there yippee!!! 😬 just another year to go. With this in sight we have now started the talks of the big day ((excited)) but everywhere we've looked in N/Wales and Chester area is expensive talking 7grand to 10+ I've suggested doing something ourselves (makes as much as we can)- but trying to find a venue is proving difficult.

Help needed- does anyone know of any venues in this area...or suggestions xxxx 🎩👰

Elope and go to Vegas. Or do what I did and go to the local registry office and then book a private room in a nice hotel or restaurant. Weddings are a complete waste of money. It's ONE day. Once it's over, it's over and all your hard earned money is gone. I am so tight. I just couldn't bare to waste my money on other people I don't even like stuffing themselves and getting drunk.

Why am I so cynical? :rolleyes:

Sorry. Not much help.

Mobile manicure... What you just said was spot on!

Don't want to turn this into an I hate weddings thread butttt totally agree with mobile manicure, registry office and lovely food at a hotel afterwards with our two witnesses. The day was truly about us which is not true for so many people and felt lovely in a nice little ted baker dress that deffo wasn't white! X

We had 8 people at our wedding day, then a huge party the week after. Most perfect wedding day 😃

This is why I want to go abroad, id rather pay for us to have an amazing two weeks than one day & every family member there. But each to their own.

I dont know exact details, but my friends did a 'wedstival' they hired a field/ markee & had it all there on August bank holiday. I was away so dont know any more details... Id have imagined that would have been cheaper?

They also bought all the beer/wine themselves, made their own table decorations etc.

Xx

Each to their own opinions and all but a wedding isn't just one day to me! I don't, repeat don't want to start an argument here as each to their own.

I'm getting married in 5 weeks and we have spent almost £18,000 on our wedding. Luckily we have had some help from our parents, as we also just bought a new house. However we saved most of it ourselves and I can't wait to share our day with all our family and friends and have memories and pictures to cherish forever.

You can do a stunning wedding on a budget as this is what we planned on doing before deciding to wait and save for the big day we wanted.

I hope you get something and have a beautiful day. Don't let people drag you down with this 'one day' stuff, it's a very important day and you want to enjoy it xxxx

Beleza Beauty ♡

I actually hate going to weddings. It's for sheep. Following and conforming. Couldn't think of anything more boring than lavishing attention on a pair of egotistical so and so's who think that everyone will be awed by their "fantastic day". No one gives a hoot. Honestly, it's true! They couldn't care less, except the parents. Everyone else is out for a freebie. Save your money and do something you both really enjoy together.

I refuse to attend them. I've turned 3 down this year already.

From the ever cynical and "say it as it is"

MM.

There. Now ducking for the bullets.

P.S £18,000 for one day?

Memories and pictures to treasure for ever? After 3 years of marriage those pics will be in the loft. I don't know anyone who's been married for more than 3 years talk about or reminisce about their wedding day. It's long gone and over with. More important things to worry about. You'll be thinking of ways to get him seen off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry just have to comment on this. I think these days the whole point of marriage is lost amongst expensive dresses, lavish venues and ever growing guest lists etc.
I am not married (currently over 9 months pregnant) so I am not traditional obviously BUT if we do get married it will be about the 2 of us and the whole point of the ceremony will be the bond between the 2 of us.
This is something which no amount of money could buy and I strongly feel that these days the actual ethos behind a marriage is lost.
Just my option - my sister got married and the total cost amounted to nearly £30k I think and I can honestly say she is not any happier than someone who has spent 1% or even 10% of that and she has the luxury of marrying someone who can afford it easily so no worry after about being in debt (which must really take it's toll on some newly weds). Her guests were delighted to be given a day of utter luxury and amazing food and venue that they prob would not spend the money on themselves.

I'm the opposite to MM, I love being a wedding guest. I've been lucky to have been to quite a lot in the last 12months, and I'm going to another in a couple of weeks. I disagree that it's seen as a freebie, most weddings cost the guests a lot of money, but it's worth every penny.

As to wedding costs; don't go into debt, and maybe think outside the box for venues. I've recently been to a wedding in an old industrial building, and another in an industrial museum. At the latter we had pie and mash, and homemade cakes. The food was absolutely delicious. The pies were from a champion pie-maker, and they even provided me with a gluten-free one. At another wedding the table arrangements were empty olive tins with garden flowers in. They looked so fresh and different.

Good luck and enjoy.

Hi All, me and my partner have been engaged for a year and a half. We decided not to rush and book the wedding and decided to save for a mortgage instead...so we've moved back in with mine and his parents living out of a suitcase to save for the mortgage and were now half way there yippee!!! �� just another year to go. With this in sight we have now started the talks of the big day ((excited)) but everywhere we've looked in N/Wales and Chester area is expensive talking 7grand to 10+ I've suggested doing something ourselves (makes as much as we can)- but trying to find a venue is proving difficult.

Help needed- does anyone know of any venues in this area...or suggestions xxxx ����

I bet you wish you hadn't asked now!

Sorry I cant help you with venues, but I kind of agree with some of the posts here. I would like a small ceremony just the two of us with my children and then maybe a party with friends a week or so later. Or like the couple that got married in Australia (the wedding abroad thread) and party when they get home.

But, I say all that having already had a white wedding, church the whole deal. I loved that day, felt it was over too soon, but it was fab. We didn't go overboard spending but we could afford it at the time.

I'm the opposite to MM, I love being a wedding guest. I've been lucky to have been to quite a lot in the last 12months, and I'm going to another in a couple of weeks. I disagree that it's seen as a freebie, most weddings cost the guests a lot of money, but it's worth every penny.

As to wedding costs; don't go into debt, and maybe think outside the box for venues. I've recently been to a wedding in an old industrial building, and another in an industrial museum. At the latter we had pie and mash, and homemade cakes. The food was absolutely delicious. The pies were from a champion pie-maker, and they even provided me with a gluten-free one. At another wedding the table arrangements were empty olive tins with garden flowers in. They looked so fresh and different.

Good luck and enjoy.

Now Dande, if I had been invited to those weddings I would have gone and enjoyed myself too. They sound quirky and fun. I'm just so bored of the hotels, standard 3 course meal, DJ or band etc. etc. big fat yawn from me. Its so predictable and they're all the same.

I don't be grudge people who want to get married or those who are but for me I hate them ! Family being two faced when deep down we all hate each other !
I've been with partner 10 years and we are happy as we are I can't be arsed to tie the knot x

What about wedding and reception in hotel ? I know it sounds stupid but a lot of people do that nowadays ?
Also I know someone who got married in a church then had their reception in a field yep a field ! But it was nice caterers live music and didn't cost too much ! X

How about Gretna Green ? :Love:

But I'm a romantic, either big white church wedding or run away, maybe abroad and have it in secret, dragging 2 weirdest strangers off the street ! I had big white church wedding of course, and lavish reception, but we didn't pay for it, our parents did. And that's how it was 30 years ago. But I only wanted to marry him to see the look on his mother's face !

Last edited:
I don't be grudge people who want to get married or those who are but for me I hate them ! Family being two faced when deep down we all hate each other !
I've been with partner 10 years and we are happy as we are I can't be arsed to tie the knot x

Lol...

I want to get married, & I see my Dads side of the family about once a month. Could my Dad tell you or direct you to my address? Nope.
I moved in, in 2010 my Dads parents havent set foot in my house.
Aunties, uncles, cousins all know the area I live but thats about it! Im 9 miles away...!

Do I want to pay for people who have never bothered to make an effort to see where I live, their partners & possibly children to have a 3 course meal, drinks at £50+ per head? Not a chance. Plus the needing of extra space! Thanks, but no thanks.

Xx

I agree with a lot you...it's a lot of money for one day...but a part of me has a twinge in my heart when I think of going abroad- the thought of some of my loved ones not being able to afford to go (even though this hasn't been ruled out completely- just yet)

Funny enough we were taking about hiring a marquee and asking a local land owner for his field...do a lot of it ourselves, but my other half mentioned food, drinks and toilets! This would be very my thing- shabby chic and rustic. But then when he mentioned food- would it be any good, cold as it's outside etc, drinks - the chance of running out and would we need a license and toilets- would a portable toilet cost a bomb and be mingin! So lots to think about.

I wish I was a bride to be he could spend and not worry but both are parents are not exactly flush and for that reason I would feel awful asking for help!

We're looking at some hotels in the area and the cheapest seems to be £6grand- for not much!

I've seen my dress- haven't tried it on yet. And seen that Japan do a copy dress- Ino it won't be as nice in quality but this could be an option to cut costs.
As were thinking of doing a rustic/vintage I could have a triple tier Victoria sponge cake, and I've started practicing with a wood engraver which I could use for name places and table names. Do this centre pieces (bird cage) and table plan as old pic frames with the writing in them on a board-so I'm thinking of cheap alternatives...but stressing at the same time.

Ino some reg offices are nice, my cousin (from down south) was lovely. But ours is horrible- it's truly not nice (and I'm not a snob- honest!) it's like a plain brick wall :/ xxx

The marquee in a field idea is lovely. We went to one, (yes, I know I'm beginning to sound like a professional wedding crasher!), in a farmer's field. The farm belonged to our friends, and the groom was their son.
It took a lot to prepare the field, difficult to get it flat enough for a good floor, and marquees can be quite a price.
They hired portable loos, had a restaurant from Manchester to prepare paella on site, and had an ice-cream van arrive with music going. It was another brilliant do.

You get invited to some lovely weddings Dande. I just get the horrible hotel ones full of chavvy relatives. :rolleyes:

I have been to a wedding in a circus tent and have worked at a wedding in a zoo. I used to do the wedding in the restaurant where I worked and loved them. Each and everyone was different. I must have worked at 250 -300 weddings in the 10 years I was there. One of the ideas that I would definitely suggest is to put a disposable camera on each table and let your wedding guests take snaps during the evening. Collect at the end of the night.

I haven't been to a wedding here in the UK so I'm not sure what kind of things happen here. I would think it would be difficult to get married abroad and expect all of the family to travel to the venue. Puts them under pressure and if they can only afford one holiday a year, I would hate it to be dictated where I must go because someone has chosen it. Plus, you will want some space on your honeymoon and not be surrounded by family, surely.

Latest posts

Back