Wetting the free edge with monomer before applying zone 1?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat68

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been watching the Nailzoo videos and noticed that on some of them the technician wets the free edge of zone 1 with monomer and brush before applying the zone 1 bead. It seems to make application easier (but then he makes everything look easy!) However I did read somewhere that this is common practice for competitions but is not recommended in the salon, as it could potentially cause pocket lifting down the road. What are your thoughts? Is it ok to do this with each fill in? :?:

Last edited:
Hi all. I've been watching the Nailzoo videos and noticed that on some of them the technician wets the free edge of zone 1 with monomer and brush before applying the zone 1 bead. It seems to make application easier (but then he makes everything look easy!) However I did read somewhere that this is common practice for competitions but is not recommended in the salon, as it could potentially cause pocket lifting down the road. What are your thoughts? Is it ok to do this with each fill in? :?:

In a word ... NO.

Using unreacted monomer is a recipe for overexposure and allergic reaction .. It is never recommended EVER.

For purely practical reasons, monomer reacts with the plate and the bond of the product is then not as strong, hence the pocket lifting problem.

Monomer is a reactive product and will react with anything it comes into contact with. It will react with the skin, the plate or anything else which is why it must never be used on its' own. Repeat the process too often, and you have an allergic reaction waiting to happen BESIDES it is never necessary for any reason to use monomer this way ... READ:
Nail Structure and product chemistry by doug Schoon the worlds leading expert in this field.

Let's act as professionals and safeguard the health of our clients and their natural nails ... it is our main responsibility always.

Last edited:

I never put neat monomer on the natural nail (that would cause pocket lifting) or on the skin, i put it on the prepped old acrylic in zone 2,(which I apply over within a second) I also don't wet, I dampen, this helps new acrylic merge into old and prevents wht I call "tide lines" as I very rarely reapply to the whole nail (theres no point). But then again I don't ever buff zone one before I do a plain fill. I also never shorten before I fill, ( I shorten at the end, when the nail is once again structurally sound, not grown out and unbalanced)

After I have finished the fill, I shorten the nail (which, if the nail is tapered correctly in the first place) creates a thickness on the end. I then taper this off backwards, moving the apex backwards and only buffing zone 1 once.

I do dampen the acrylic free edge (not natural nail) during a French Fill (zone 1, when I have drilled out, as it prevents my white from drying out too fast (white acrylic has a different setting time due to the tinting agent "titanium oxide").

This is the way I do nails, there are quite a few ways of doing them.

Last edited:
Hi, im still training in l&p at the mo - but from what ive been taught you should NEVER soak the nail with monomer! Ive been taught that it can cause over-exposure leading to probs such as allergic reactions etc...

Hi, im still training in l&p at the mo - but from what ive been taught you should NEVER soak the nail with monomer! Ive been taught that it can cause over-exposure leading to probs such as allergic reactions etc...

Nope.. nailzoo just pointed out he dampens not SOAKS..
you have been taught right.. monomer can lead to those things..
Each tech has their own way of doing nails.. I believe that if we stick to the basic foundations we have been taught, we can at times do tings that work for us.. as long as we are not putting the client or ourselves at risk, then its fine to experiment.

Latest posts

Back