What am I doing wrong???!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi, im soooo frustrated with myself! I havent been doing acrylics for very long due to qualifying then going on maternity leave! But i did practice as much as poss on my sister while on mat leave, ive done a few clients on my 'keeping in touch' days but just still seem to have probs!
One client had a set done and they were fine, went back to infill at 2wks and was really pleased with myself as there was just a tiny bit of lifting on a couple (im talking 1-2mm max!), this was the first time this client had had acrylics on so i was pleased to see she's looked after them and followed my homecare advice!
Any, infilled them as normal, she asked me to email her in a couple of weeks to book a rebalance, I did this and she told me that all the nails had 'fell off' but was thinking of having a french manicure instead. I gave her the price for this but she hasnt been in touch since!

Another new client; did a set of acrylics, she was a nail biter, not too severe, but I advised her to start with the extensions being fairly short so she could used to having a bit of length on them and then we could build up the length at each appointment as she adapts to having them on. She looked horrified and insisted on having them long; I did my best to try and get her to follow my advice, explained probs she could have with having them too long etc, but she didnt want to know. So of course - i did as the client wanted and gave her the length she wanted.
2 wks later, Ive contacted her to book her infills, she tells me one of the nails came off on monday so she 'glued' it back on :eek:, then yesterday they ALL 'fell' off!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Could it be that they really are just falling off!? Im doing everything i was taught, prepping properly etc etc, i just dont get why they are 'falling off'! Ive done my own extensions on myskef which isnt easy! lol! Ok, my right hand is never quite perfect but they dont fall off!

Im just soooo starting to lack in confidence! I always ask my sis to pay a little something towards products when i practice on her as i made the mistake of doing freebies on 'guinea pigs' before and got my finger burnt! It caused all sorts of probs so i dont go down that route now! I dont charge my sis much at all - just enough to cover the products. She's the only person i totally trust to look after them and give me honest feedback! If she doesnt look after them properly at some point she tells me, same as if she does look after them and has a prob - she tells me! She is a nail biter too which is obviously good practice for me!
My sis is now feeling the bite of the credit crunch though and says she'd love to have her nails done but is watching the pennies at the mo! So, i have no one to practice more on at the mo - unless i do it for free which i really dont want to! - Not because im being tight or selfish but because ive realised that when someone does pay - even just a little something - they look after them better and dont take advantage of you!

Any, infilled them as normal, she asked me to email her in a couple of weeks to book a rebalance, I did this and she told me that all the nails had 'fell off' sorry flower, but this is bullcrap

but was thinking of having a french manicure instead. I gave her the price for this but she hasnt been in touch since! dont take it too heart, put it down to experience, she may be playing on the fact that you aint been at it that long

Another new client; did a set of acrylics, she was a nail biter, not too severe, but I advised her to start with the extensions being fairly short so she could used to having a bit of length on them and then we could build up the length at each appointment as she adapts to having them on. She looked horrified and insisted on having them long; I did my best to try and get her to follow my advice, explained probs she could have with having them too long etc, but she didnt want to know. So of course - i did as the client wanted and gave her the length she wanted.
2 wks later, Ive contacted her to book her infills, she tells me one of the nails came off on monday so she 'glued' it back on :eek:, then yesterday they ALL 'fell' off!!!:eek::eek::eek: nailbiters are in a world of their own, i have a biter at the mo, and thankfully takes my advice, shes had them on now for 2 weeks, no lifting - i get her to come to me every week so that i can check them, to sort them out, if need be, as it happens, nothing needs sorting. - as we all know flower, nails just DONT fall off, what she really meant was, ive chewed abit, and helped them with my teeth, so ill blame you :eek: - easiest way out for them, they dont want to blame THEMSELVES

Could it be that they really are just falling off!? only with the help of teeth or some other implement

Im just soooo starting to lack in confidence!

hang in there flowerpot - if you are doing your prep, correctly, then dont put it down to YOU doing something wrong.

I always ask my sis to pay a little something towards products when i practice on her as i made the mistake of doing freebies on 'guinea pigs' before and got my finger burnt! It caused all sorts of probs so i dont go down that route now! I dont charge my sis much at all - just enough to cover the products. She's the only person i totally trust to look after them and give me honest feedback! If she doesnt look after them properly at some point she tells me, same as if she does look after them and has a prob - she tells me! She is a nail biter too which is obviously good practice for me!
My sis is now feeling the bite of the credit crunch though and says she'd love to have her nails done but is watching the pennies at the mo! So, i have no one to practice more on at the mo - unless i do it for free which i really dont want to! - Not because im being tight or selfish but because ive realised that when someone does pay - even just a little something - they look after them better and dont take advantage of you! if you sis is the only person you can practice on flower, then i would carry on practicing on her, without payment, at the end of the day, YOU are getting the practice, and your sister is getting a fab set of nails, you will thank her at the end of the day flower, so i would just waiver the cost for now - youll get more from the practice

sorry to rant, but i hope my response has helped ABIT

:hug:

Hy Emily

Have you done any other clients than your sister & the 2 you mentioned? did you have a regular client base up until maternity?

If so, i dont think this is worth losing any confidence over. I have not been qualified long & I have only ever had 2 sets of nails completly come off... 1time & its was on the same day, I was so devastated.. I racked my brains, read so many tutorials on this site & realised it was my prep.

Am not saying this is what it could be, but perhaps one of the reasons.. you should check out the tutorials & see if anything springs to mind. There is not an unanswered Q on here, its fab.

Dont lose confidence hun, its all about experience... when I look at the nails I was doing 6 months ago.. aaahhhh.... & the ones I do now (phew)

Just take your time..

Love Sahara 711

hi hun
nails just dont FALL OFF no way,so dont worry to much,as for your sis dont charge her, use her not just for practice but to advertise for you.
Think of it this way free nails free advertising,word of mouth is better than any leaflets etc.I never charge my sis but she has brought me loads of customers with her wearing my nails and having tans etc.I used to work in a hairdressers and used to do all the girls nails free of charge,and that has given me regular loyal clients who perhaps i would have never had,and all for a fraction of the price of leaflets etc. just a thought hth x:lol:

Hi babe

dont loose heart, I think when we first start out we all are a bit apprehensive with our first clients..... be firm with them, re-enforce your aftercare advise and give them a bottle of cuticle oil with strict instructions.
Nail biters cant help but chew. they constantly run there fingers along there mouth they like the feel that they have nails on, they are looking to put any little tiny nick or crack in order. Its a habit and a hard one to break. I know this from experience. But when you have got them under control they can become some of your best clients because they feel that with your help you have helped them to achieve the nails they have always wanted.

Trust me her nails didnt fall off, she had help from mr and mrs molar she turned into a canibal and bit them off. But because she is prob embarrassed at the fact that she has done this she is trying to pass the blame. Dont let her be firm there are tell tale signs of damage and let her know you know that she has chomped them.

chin up babe
Debbie x

Any, infilled them as normal, she asked me to email her in a couple of weeks to book a rebalance, I did this and she told me that all the nails had 'fell off' sorry flower, but this is bullcrap

but was thinking of having a french manicure instead. I gave her the price for this but she hasnt been in touch since! dont take it too heart, put it down to experience, she may be playing on the fact that you aint been at it that long

2 wks later, Ive contacted her to book her infills, she tells me one of the nails came off on monday so she 'glued' it back on :eek:, then yesterday they ALL 'fell' off!!!:eek::eek::eek: nailbiters are in a world of their own, i have a biter at the mo, and thankfully takes my advice, shes had them on now for 2 weeks, no lifting - i get her to come to me every week so that i can check them, to sort them out, if need be, as it happens, nothing needs sorting. - as we all know flower, nails just DONT fall off, what she really meant was, ive chewed abit, and helped them with my teeth, so ill blame you :eek: - easiest way out for them, they dont want to blame THEMSELVES

Could it be that they really are just falling off!? only with the help of teeth or some other implement

Im just soooo starting to lack in confidence!

hang in there flowerpot - if you are doing your prep, correctly, then dont put it down to YOU doing something wrong.

I always ask my sis to pay a little something towards products when i practice on her as i made the mistake of doing freebies on 'guinea pigs' before and got my finger burnt! It caused all sorts of probs so i dont go down that route now! I dont charge my sis much at all - just enough to cover the products. She's the only person i totally trust to look after them and give me honest feedback! If she doesnt look after them properly at some point she tells me, same as if she does look after them and has a prob - she tells me! She is a nail biter too which is obviously good practice for me!
My sis is now feeling the bite of the credit crunch though and says she'd love to have her nails done but is watching the pennies at the mo! So, i have no one to practice more on at the mo - unless i do it for free which i really dont want to! - Not because im being tight or selfish but because ive realised that when someone does pay - even just a little something - they look after them better and dont take advantage of you! if you sis is the only person you can practice on flower, then i would carry on practicing on her, without payment, at the end of the day, YOU are getting the practice, and your sister is getting a fab set of nails, you will thank her at the end of the day flower, so i would just waiver the cost for now - youll get more from the practice

sorry to rant, but i hope my response has helped ABIT

:hug:

I agree, I would use your sis for practice for free and let her know its just till you get up and running. Use her to advertise your nails and ask her to give out your number to anyone who comments on her nails. Good luck xxx

Hi,

I agree with the other geeks...nails dont just come off..either they helped them come off with their teeth, or maybe you sized the tips slightly too small, causing the nails to "pop".

Latest posts

Back