What are your phobias?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok here go mine....
1. going too fast in a car
2. being in a car accident and dying !
3. taking my shoes off when going through security at an airport .....freaks me out and I carry booties with me ....or I sit in the chair till they bring them back....
4 .walking in public places without shoes ..such as beaches, swimming pools,ect.
5. strangers touching me
6. dirty faucet handles
7. dust bunnies/ hair on corners
8. open closet doors
9. slime of any kind
10. handles of shopping carts
11. public toilets
aahh the list goes on.....!!!!!

yes i totally agree with you on probably all those things!!! but going fast in cars!!! i hate that soooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!
I think i have a general phobia of life if i'm honest!!!

nailaholic said:
Im petrified of ladybirds, I cant even look at one, they send shivers down my back! Spiders are no prob, but ladybird in the bath - id run a mile!!:eek:
i love ladybirds! love letting them crawl around on my arm, then fly away. ladybirds and geckos (little lizards) are the only creepy crawlies i like.

i am PETRIFIED of heights..my legs turn to jelly, my heart pounds, feet sweat and i go dizzy..i actually feel like gravity is pulling me towards the edge:eek: i also hate cockroaches but i wont hesitate to kill them ( i just make sure i dont look at the white stuff that oozes out) and public toilets..i'd rather pee myself or go in the bush:lol:

I love Butterflies But HATE moths.
Big Brown ugly things.

where on earth do all these phobias come from anyway????
I only have one phobia and that is heights and it only started after i had my kids.I dont like them going near glass railings or looking over railings that are higher than ground level , i wont go near them and absoloutly go mad at my kids and scream at them to get away- yet i used to love climbing on roofs and trees and the height never bothered me- strange....

MINKUS said:
:eek: :cry: :eek: *birds*:cry: :eek: :cry:

absolutely PETRIFIED of them !!

There was one nesting in the haybarn - where i used to have to go EVERY day to get hay out for the horse....used to send my 4 yr old in first - she'd say 'dont be silly mummy' look its not scary, i said 'hurry up and YOU bring the hay out then:eek: '

Is that child cruelty !!!!

Bless her - she is so brave:hug:

Oh me too. I saw Hitchcock's The Birds when I was waaaay too young and they freak me ever since. I did a mobile client one who had this parrot. OMG I was on edge the whole time. I walked home from the gym today and there were three rooks stood there waiting for me on the way home ... thank god they weren't on a climbing frame cos I'd have peed my pants!

I aslo have a huge phobia with Knives. if anyone waves one at me I go all clammy, although I am better than I used to be.

OOh I forgot about the cockroaches. Thankfully they are rare over her, but in Brunei where my parents used to live they were the size of dogs!!!!! :eek:

Sassy Hassy said:
OOh I forgot about the cockroaches. Thankfully they are rare over her, but in Brunei where my parents used to live they were the size of dogs!!!!! :eek:

Lmao sass, the size of dogs!!!:lol:

fificharlie said:
Lmao sass, the size of dogs!!!:lol:

Could have been even bigger!!!

Sassy Hassy said:
Could have been even bigger!!!

you crack me up sassy.

this is a really interesting thread though. i would never have realised things that i wouldnt think twice about could really effect the lives of others.

some phobias are easier to understand than others. those that are based on survival instincts such as fear of snakes , flying, heights , germs etc. but i find it really difficult to undersand why people can be affected by things that i would consider harmless... cotton wool, buttons etc. i dont think their fears are imaginary or ridiculous, just wonder what the fears are based on.

can those of you with the more unusual phobias actually pinpoint an event that triggered your anxiety. i was attacked by an ostritch when i was 3 and though im now 41 i can remember it like it was yesterday, the weather, my dress etc. so now you wouldnt get me near an ostritch, i particularly despise the way their beaks join in the corners. but i would love to eat ostritch, i'd feel it was revenge in some way, sort of dont get mad get even !:lol:

angel fingers said:
can those of you with the more unusual phobias actually pinpoint an event that triggered your anxiety.
Well, my fear of statues and any tall towering sculptures has been with me since I was little. The only thing I can trace it back to was when I was in Catholic school probably Kindergarten or 1st grade, and the exit way to the door we left out of everyday had a HUGE paper mache (sp?) of puff the magic dragon....I hated it!! I don't know whether its because things like that tower over me and make me feel small or what. I do know that it is a serious fear of mine, whenever I see a statue, especially one that is unexpected I almost feel as though I will pass out...IT IS HORRIBLE!! The ones here in Detroit that I know of I can sort of brace myself and walk by with my eyes closed...Yes, I walk by statues with my eyes closed!! but it still unnerves me something awful!!

I have tried to confront my fear to no avail, I have even though seriously about going to a therapist. It is a terrible fear to have seeing as how there are statues almost everywhere!! I couldn't fully enjoy myself in New York when I went because I did not know where I was going to encounter a statue somewhere...I know that the Statue of Liberty is a huge tourist destination, but there was no way in the world I would ever go near that thing!!

So whenever I make my way over to the UK you guys are going to have to warn me of where all the statues and large sculptures are, so that I can atleast be on guard, and prepare myself...somewhat.

CadenceAlex said:
Nah you're not wacked!!

I hate touching raw meat at all and on the rare occasion when husband is getting something special I've cooked up myself, I shudder all the way through the chopping and then anti bac my hands uber thoroughly!!

OK, maybe I'm whacked.
Not only do I hate touching raw meat, I simply will NOT NOT NOT do it. I used to use rubber gloves and wash'em like you wash your hands.
Now that hubby is with a medical supply company, he's always bringing me a box of latex gloves home for kitchen and other uses.
I can't live without these gloves now LOL
If I don't have gloves, then I use tongs. I never ever ever touch raw meat. It's just EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

ESPECIALLY raw chicken YAAACCKKKK (ok, where's the puke smiley.. we need to petition to get a puke smiley lol)

Discovered another phobia.
I can't swim in water in which I can't see the bottom, and nor can I swim in it if there's anything else swimming in it that has no feet. Fish... ewwwwwwww lol

angel fingers said:
i hate .................................
full length windows if they are above ground level,
stairs with open treads that you can see through as you go up,
bridges.......even very low ones,
piers, coz you can see the sea between the gaps. they are even more scary if you are wearing stiletto shoes.
and ostritches coz i was attacked by one when i was 3 and i still remeber it like yesterday:Scared:
I am with you about the stairs. I dont like heights at any time, but if I can see through the stairs my stomach just heaves. When I was about seven or eight, I used to have to go up two flights of stairs like that. I used to have to pull myself up physically on the hand rails. The teachers used to find my sitting half way cause i could not go back up or down, would just sit there and sob my heart out.
Another one that gives me the heeby jeebies is SPIDERS, SPIDERS, SPIDERS. I shudder at the thought of them!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another one is if someone does a poo in my loo, then thats it, cant use it for like the whole day. Lucky that i have an ensuite in my bedroom, so i can go there!!@!
xxxxxxxxxx

Yvette said:
Hooray - its not just me!

I can't even walk down stairs that are next to a "down" escalators! My husband thinks I'm a fruit loop! The worst think is I know where it comes from - do any of you "over 25" (cough cough) geeks remember the adverts for escalators in the 70's where the rag doll looses its head? It was a down escalator - need I say more!
Forgot that I am petrified of escalators too, I hang on for dear life when I finally get the nerve to jump on. I usually have a whole heap of people banked up behind me cause it takes me about ten times before I can place me foot on them.
xxxxxxxxx

Oh yes I forgot, I've got another one.
Swimming in swimming pools. Full of other peoples spit, hair etc.
Full of germs.
Yet the sea doesn't bother me and I have no fear of any animals, people invading my personal space and such.

you crack me up sassy.

this is a really interesting thread though. i would never have realised things that i wouldnt think twice about could really effect the lives of others.

some phobias are easier to understand than others. those that are based on survival instincts such as fear of snakes , flying, heights , germs etc. but i find it really difficult to undersand why people can be affected by things that i would consider harmless... cotton wool, buttons etc. i dont think their fears are imaginary or ridiculous, just wonder what the fears are based on.

can those of you with the more unusual phobias actually pinpoint an event that triggered your anxiety. i was attacked by an ostritch when i was 3 and though im now 41 i can remember it like it was yesterday, the weather, my dress etc. so now you wouldnt get me near an ostritch, i particularly despise the way their beaks join in the corners. but i would love to eat ostritch, i'd feel it was revenge in some way, sort of dont get mad get even !:lol:

my fear of taking off my shoes at the airport, beach, swimming pool is more of a serious 'yuk' factor....the thought of putting my bare feet or sock feet where millions of other people stepping in God knows what .......then putting my feet where they just have just been .....makes me want to hurl:eek: ....the only time I take my shoes off at the beach is when I'm on my towel or in the water .....but as soon as I get out shoes back on ....sand and all....fear of going fast in a car ....reminds me of a car accident I was in when I was younger and the thought of being in another scares me to death.....

this thread has been a really interesting read. i knew poeple had phobias about the usual (spiders etc) but im now glad im not the only one with strange fears.

my main ones are a huge fear of my teeth falling out. I have nightmares that make me wake up crying and checking that my teeth are all still in place.

and a fear of ballons, dont know what that is all about but i just cant handle them being around and defo wont be blowing one up!!!!

The strangest fear i have encountered lately tho is a girl i work with on the weekend, she has a huge fear of buttons.... (oh, and we work in a clothes shop!!!!)

SPIDERS: only the big harry ones, the little tiddlers dont worry me. I used to be fine until I was in oz and encountered a big harry mother and it was after that i've never been the same since.

VELVET: just the thought of it can make my hairs stand on edge which is really freaky i know but there you go.

GLOPPY WHITE STUFF ON EGGS: minnnnnnggginngg i could actually be sick if i see that clearishwhiteish jelly you get around an egg yolk if its slightly un-cooked - yuck

You know I was talking with a friend the other day about phobias and my thing with statues --- :Scared: and I thought back to a scene in The Wiz where the lion breaks out of the statue....that may have done it seeing as I saw that movie when I was very young....

I'm still searching for answers :rolleyes:

Jac, I pull the legs off spiders:lol:

NOW THATS JUST WICKED!

I spray them with hairspray whilst they're running then burn them with a lighter, it's much more humane??????????

Teri x:lol:

Latest posts

Back