What are your phobias?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
OK, so after my return from my hols I'm getting a bit of stick from the rest of the family about having phobias about things. These are mine so please feel free to tell me if you think I'm as strange of the rest of my family do.

Shower curtains that are not mine. I cannot stand a hotel shower curtain to touch me it gives me the creeps.
Looking down sinks - this will guarantee that I will puke when brushing my teeth.
Walking on floors with nothing on my feet.
Bedding touching me that may contain hairs from an unknown persons body.
Cutlery and plates that are in a cupboard and you don't know for certain have been washed.

Now am I the only person who freaks out about such things?
Or do I really have a problem?:eek:

I have to say the only thing that gets me is creepy crawlies, I am like the cathrine tate woman who screams a lot if a wasp or bee is near me. a bee landed on me the other day and I screamed so loud I scared myself then when I saw everone elses face I started laughing till I cried, embarassing I know:o

Hello Judy 1999, never seen what you look like, but judging from your phobias, by the time you got to the end of your holiday:
You MUST HAVE STUNK THROUGH NOT SHOWERING
had FUR ON YOUR TEETH
had WRINKLY FEET FROM NEVER TAKING YOUR SHOES OFF(NEVER MIND THE SMELL)
had BAGS UNDER YOUR EYES FROM NOT SLEEPING
and LOOKED ANOREXIC FROM NOT EATING OFF THE CROCKERY

SOME BAD HOLIDAY HUH???!!!!!!!!!LOL (ONLY JOKIN HUN, ABOUT THE ABOVE)

:lol: I'm as glam as ever (of course!!!) but have slept with a sarong as a sheet. Brushed teeth with my eyes closed. Kept well away from the shower curtain. Constantly wore flip flops or socks. Didn't eat much though but thats a good thing lol
I get a lot of stick about these things!!!!

jac extreme said:
oh my god Judy, you are one weird mother!! have to say the only thing that gets me is creepy crawlies, I am like the cathrine tate woman who screams a lot if a wasp or bee is near me. a bee landed on me the other day and I screamed so loud I scared myself then when I saw everone elses face I started laughing till I cried, embarassing I know:o

Jac, I pull the legs off spiders:lol:

i hate .................................
full length windows if they are above ground level,
stairs with open treads that you can see through as you go up,
bridges.......even very low ones,
piers, coz you can see the sea between the gaps. they are even more scary if you are wearing stiletto shoes.
and ostritches coz i was attacked by one when i was 3 and i still remeber it like yesterday:Scared:

Ok, well..........

I will not let certain people taste my drink, or drink from theirs, but some people I will. No one yet has fathomed why some not others, not even me. :rolleyes: Can you have a bite of my choccy bar? Nope I'd give it away to you first! And if it hasn't been through a dishwasher I wont use it crockery, cutlery and cups/glasses wise unless I washed it so hot I almost burnt myself.

Ashtrays or ash smell. My Mum chain smokes even on visits to us. I wont touch the ashtray and if she washes it in the sink I bleach the sink and throw away the sponges etc we use to wash up.

Mosquitos. I can hear those buggers at 50 yards, if there is one in the bedroom I'll have Stuart up all night tracking it down.

Spitting or the dirty sods who block one side of their nose and honk the other. (For anyone gagging now try grinning, it suppresses the gagging reflex!)

Please dont let me be the only weird one here! :o

angel fingers said:
i hate .................................
full length windows if they are above ground level,
stairs with open treads that you can see through as you go up,
bridges.......even very low ones,
piers, coz you can see the sea between the gaps. they are even more scary if you are wearing stiletto shoes.
and ostritches coz i was attacked by one when i was 3 and i still remeber it like yesterday:Scared:

omg i hate the stairs thing..... also stairs that have gaps at the sides (the car park stairs in my local mall is like it!) ......... escalators that go down... v steap ones!
i hate wasps... i cant eat out side in the summer if we have a bbq... i hate eating in pub gardens etc... too due to the wasp thing... bad experience when i was younger... someone disturbed a nest...i got stung a few times...... it was nasty!
im sure there are a few more i could add...... erm..... anyone filing my nails... thats one.,... i cant watch if anyone ever has the pleasure (nitemare!) of doing any nails on me........lololol

Wasps mainly - had phobia treatment about 15 years ago which has helped me get through most summers without having hysterics.

Bees .. after the phobia clinic I am a lot less fretfull about bees actually ... I just hate it when they wizz past my face ...yeoowelll !!

Anything thats crawly or insect like :(

Saying that I stood on a snail the other night bringing in washing at 11pm ... I freaked out .. stepped back and stood on another ... I thought I was going to chuck up ... it really turned my stomach :( Hubby came running outside thinking I was being attacked lol!!

On a serious note tho.. true phobia's are very disabling.. I used to have horrendous summers and I wouldnt scoff at anyone's fear ... if someone is afraid of something then they can't help it... I used to know a chef that was phobic about strawberries.. honestly... ! Poor chap!

Judy.. you sound like you are an ideal canditate for treatment ... sounds to me like you need to get to the bottom of your fears hun .. :hug::hug:

I am really scared of... SCORPIONS.

Even the sight of one in a picture, or on tv (like tarrant for example) I immediatley jump and scream under my breath. I get goose bumps and go all shivery, its weird.

I wont go to Egpyt EVER on hols cos someone told me that they run over your feet!! :eek: :Scared:

They can sting like a bee, bite like a spider and pinch like a crab, and personally I HATE THEM. They llok so scary too. However, I am not scared of spiders, or crabs, or bees....

Some of you geeks have these eggs that have hatched different things on your signiture and I have seen a few scorpions hatched! :eek: I quickly skip passed them.. LOL
Even the cartoon version of this retchid creature scares me.... and I dont know where this fear came from. Cos when I was 17/18, my second job was in Petsmart and they sold Scorpions.... and I wasnt scared like I am now! :rolleyes:
I wonder if theres a special name for it?

SP***RS

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have a couple of strange phobias :

1st one, when you get a magnet near iron fillings, and they go all funny, ew it gives me the willies!!!

2nd one, (hard to explain) when you empty a tin of spagetti hoops out and your left with the inside of the tin covered with one layer of circles all next to each other!!!! ew it makes me cringe just thinking bout it!!!!

Aint I a strange one!!!! lol

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mine-don't laugh!!!!
Water splashed on the sink or draining board, I know, I know , it's a sink for god's sake as my hubby keeps telling me. They were made to get splahed-not!!. I have to wipe it so no water marks show.

oh judy - i think you need therapy :lol:

my only phobias are heights (ladders etc) and

SPIDERS

clowns, CLOWNS,CLOWNS:Scared: :Scared: :eek: :eek:

OH lord have you seen thier eyes, the size of thier mopuths and when they are hot an dthe face paint chips a bit,m Oh God they look horrific!!! And they laugh....always the laughing and nasty grinning! The way the move and jumo about, I just see a face that moves thats it!! I hate them!

:cry:

LARGE STATUES OR SCULPTURES!!!:Scared: :Scared:
I am terrified of them!! Have been ever since I was a little girl...almost didn't go to my graduation rehersal because there was a statue of Joe Louis at the door, luckily I found another entrance.....EKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

Oh, and wide open space where you can't see anything but more wide open space...YIKES!! and buildings with a wide open lobby or something with no furniture and a big statue in the back.....OH GOD!!!!:Scared:

Ok I hate spiders and so scared of them and I have such a weird phobia and u are all going to laugh at me!! Judy you think ur bad with the shower curtains well when I go on holiday I can't stand sleeping on the beds in the hotels, their sheets and pillows! It just scares me. I hate it. When I went to America in Feb I was awake most of the night coz I couldn't sleep the thought of the hotel sheets! lol It just made me cringe and I couldn't sleep on their pillows!!!

I wanted to take my own sheet and pillows but Daryn said I was stupid! lol See so maybe I am weird, does anyone have this problem or is it just me?! lol.

:hug: Thank goodness I am not the only one who has phobias...
My husband is sooooo used to this behaviour of mine he just grins and bears it..
When we stay at a Hotel, before we actually check in... I ask if I can first inspect the room (for cleanliness etc.) If it's not up to my standards we leave and find another Hotel.. In the room, I remove the bedspread and throw it in a corner and pray that the sheets are clean.. (I itch all night long thinking what might have taken place in the room)....

When we are at home, if a Moth just happens to get in the house I completly freak out, and there had better be someone home to kill it... Or I have to leave the house till someone comes home..(when I was two years old a crow landed on my head) so anything with wings sends me over the edge.

Last year we had such a dry year and we were plagued with grasshoppers and they were EVERYWHERE!!! when I came home, I would park on the drive way then I would call from my cell phone to my family in the house to come and help me get into the house.. They would have to shield me with their own bodies... I really do feel silly but I really do get freaked out!!

I better stop now or you will send someone to lock me up.

Sincerley
The Nail Fairy:hug:

1999judy said:
Shower curtains that are not mine. I cannot stand a hotel shower curtain to touch me it gives me the creeps.
Looking down sinks - this will guarantee that I will puke when brushing my teeth.
Walking on floors with nothing on my feet.
Bedding touching me that may contain hairs from an unknown persons body.
Cutlery and plates that are in a cupboard and you don't know for certain have been washed.
:eek:

Ok, here goes.

RE: shower curtain thing and unkown bedding & dishes, I TOTALLY understand. After having spent 3mths of my life during my 20th year of life doing door to door sales across the country and living with practical strangers in hotel rooms/lodges for those 3mths..... I can TOTALLY RELATE to this. The things I saw and learned on the road.......... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww (we need a pukey smiley, hello? Anyone got one?)

My other 'phobias' (well, not really phobias, more like things that gross me out or make me edgey are):

- MUST have my own clean towel and cloths. NO ONE shall touch my towels nor my cloths. Same applies to razor and toothbrush. NO ONE, NOT EVEN HUBBY!!!
- do NOT touch my plate of food, or pinch food from it. do NOT touch my drink or take a sip. I don't know if you washed your hands, and I dont know if you 'backwashed' into my beverage. EW EW EW get your own grub and drink THANKS MUCHLY.
- If we are meeting for the first time, do NOT presume you can hug me and do not invade my 'personal space' cause i will get B****y.
-

Ok, real phobias that scare me:

-Spiders used to make me scream, now they just make me nervous till they are dead(had to learn how to cope and be the spider-killer for my girls).
- Needles of any kind for blood tests, peircing ears, whatever. Needles. I can't watch what the doc is doing, I must be lying down (prone to passing out) and if at the dentist, they gas me or give me pills to calm me down.

Umm think that's it?

min11 said:
Mosquitos. I can hear those buggers at 50 yards, if there is one in the bedroom I'll have Stuart up all night tracking it down.
:o

Hmmm

guess I had better not invite you to visit me in Montreal Qc, Canada.
I live on the southshore (just off the island, 10min from downtown) next to an Indian Reserve on land that many many moons ago was mostly marshy.

Having said that, we've got gazillions of skeeters, big as bats (Ok, maybe not, but they seem like it).

Many of us (ok, maybe not our family, we can't afford one) have "Skeeter-vacs" that run on propane and you put it in your backyard. Looks like a barbq tank of propane with a funny hat on. They suck in/attract all the skeeters for a couple of acres.
And many cities actually 'spray' for them. BUT ours chose not to out of worry for the eco sytem.

People have gone to little league games with funny hats on that have netting hanging off them and none of us thinks this is abnormal LOL

Latest posts

Back