What do people really want??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraG

Reaction score
what do people really look for in the perfect salon????
what little extra personal touches will make the salon stand out?? :rolleyes:

Hiya, I dont have my own salon, but am going to be converting my didning room to run a wee place from home. I have been visiting different salons to see the differences, and the ones that stood out for me were not the fanciest ones, but clean and organised with no clutter. A nice clean area with a simlpe colour scheme stood out for me, and looked very proffesional and organised. I am going to do the same, keep it simple I mean, and try to organised lol x

consistency - you know exactly what you are going to get, and the standards remain the same! IMO that is the most important factor in a successful business.

Take McDonalds for example - wherever you go, anywhere in the world, you know exactly what a burger is going to taste like. (now I don't compare my salon to anything like a fast food outlet, but the formula is the same) X

Good therapists. Because you only are going to go back if you treatment was good. It matters a lot, so just try to give a 100% each time and people will return to your salon again and again. Good luck.

This is probably the magpie in me, but I love going in to a salon or hairdressers and its got lots of lighting, I don't mean that it is well lit, but I like to see display cases lit up, and the reception area to look glowy and lit up, bit like in a department store where you walk through and all the little make up stations are lit up.

I like neat lines, no clutter, co-ordinated and like to see their name echoed around the place.

I like to be welcomed with a smile and not be ignored by the receptionist, even if they are on the phone a smile of acknowledgement is fine.

the waiting area should look comfy and have something that you can pick up to read or touch.

the treatment room should look warm and inviting with no stark overhead lights, smell nice and the bed should look yummy.

the therapist should be warm, enthusiastic and interested in ME.

a leaflet to take home to entice me in and descriptions on the price list to make my mouth water.

Most important for me is the cleanliness and the treatment quality. I would go back to a salon that scored top on these regardless of anything else. A salon can be as fancy as you like with the best fittings and fixtures, stunning decor, delicious refreshments, soft cosy towels but if it's not clean and the treatment is not top qualify I'm not interested. :hug:

i agree with all the above
a salon can look absolutely amazing but if the treatment is pants and the therapist treats you like a number i wouldnt go back.
x

I agree with hippy chick and would like to add that general cleanliness of the salon. It should be spotless.

You might not notice a spotless salon, but you sure will a dirty one and will avoid it like the plague xx

I agree with hippy chick and would like to add that general cleanliness of the salon. It should be spotless.

You might not notice a spotless salon, but you sure will a dirty one and will avoid it like the plague xx

You'd think all the above to be true, and for the majority it is. However I once did a survey of dead clients (clients that hadnt been back in a while) and one girl said she didn't come back cause she hated the colour of my walls :eek::eek::eek:! lol

Least to say I repainted (i was doing it anyway) and she didnt come back. But the majority of the clients loved the way my salon was before and after - which was warm and inviting with lots of accent lighting.

Of course keep it spotless too!

Kate

The same as everyone else the treatment has to be up to the standard i'm expecting if not better and definately clean!!

Also as i've done with hairdressers(took me a long time to find one to stick with)
The one i stuck with did exactly what i wanted but better and knew every time wht i was expecting but she remember what course i was doing at the time my boyfriends name and she even recognised me in a town miles away from the salon and made conversation with me!

I guess we'd all like to be all things to all clients and each one may have their own idea on what they'd like.

We ran a survey recently asking people what they liked and didn't like about the salon. Most of the answers we got back related to the treatments and opening times and above all, the quality and friendliness of the therapists.

The top one on the list in terms of the actual salon was cleanliness.

Sadly for us all on here it seems to come down to;
cleanliness
opening hours
ease of access/parking
nice, friendly therapists
consistant treatments.

Nothing about the products, furniture, make of tan etc. (the things we regularly debate on this site!)
All very interesting and food for thought

id say 99% of people who come into our salon will comment on salons that were ' clicky', a bad attitude and they didnt feel comfortable.

and never went back

Clients are always commenting on how clean my salon is.
I also get clients saying that they feel comfortable at my salon whereas they have been to other salons and people look them up and down and make them feel uncomfortable.
I get lots of clients comment when they have a spray tan that they never had the little touches at other salons.
I also get clients comment a lot on the salon decor.
I think these are the first things a client notices. A clean, well decorated friendly salon. As these are the first thing a client notices then these are the things that they comment on.
I don't think that's necessarily the main reason that they come back though.
Once they have had a treatment they then comment on how good the treatment is and that they will definitely be back.
I think it's a mixture of things that clients want from a salon but above all they want to feel comfortable and pampered and i think that comes down to the staff and their expertise.
I think anyone who has a passion for the job is not going to have a dirty salon.
The main reason my clients come back is that they they feel comfortable with the staff and have a great treatment.

Latest posts

Back