what do you class as good customer service ?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah21

Reaction score
hi i just wanted to what your views on what good customer service and what you can offer as good customer service ???
as i went for a part time receptionist at a local salon they asked me thease questions and i didnt know what to say so i just said i didnt know and they didnt give me the job because of this:confused: they said i need to learn and brush up on my interview skills any comments would be nice thanks

Hi sarah
sorry to here that you didn;t get the job..try and think about what you would :) like as a customer.Do you like to have friendly chit chat when you are having your nails done.Everyone likes to feel special,and customer service is all about making the CUSTOMER feel special.. always ask them how there day waas,how they are feeling and any other general topic..if you are friendly and confident then that will make them relax and enjoy there time in your presence.some customers come just to chill out and have quite time away from there work opr the kids,it,s all up to you to set the mood and make it an enjoyable time for them...hope this helps..:)

i would say
good customer service is , all about providing the customer/client with all the attention needed to make them feel special. but not give them an ear-bashing !
offer help , but dont push !
when i worked in the local shop , i always smiled , said a chirpy "hi"
even that can be enough to make someone feel noticed ,
give eye contact when talking to make the customer know that you are listening to their needs ,
if you cannot help with something at that time , find someone who can , or tell customer you will make a point of finding out , take a contact number , or arrange a date for customer to pop back in , and follow this through to show you are reliable .
if an item or service is not available ..make sure you are aware of a alternative that can be offered ..
each customer is an individual ...remember they are not on a conveyer belt , so dont treat them like they are,
treat each as an individual ...

thats all i can think of at the minute lol

so what would you say in an interview if they asked you what is good customer service ?

i just really want to prepare myself for the next interview i get thanks
or if you were the boss interviewing what would you exspect someone to say

It used to be that a salon could almost just "smile and look pretty," and that's all it took to be successful, or at least to stay in business. Today we're seeing a drastic change in the salon industry, making it very necessary to take a different approach to attracting and retaining a loyal and profitable clientele.
Many salons try to build their business by relying strictly on advertising or walk-in clients. Statistics show, however, that the retention rate for new customers who are referred by loyal salon clients is far greater than the retention rate for new clients who come through advertising or walk-ins. Therefore, the way I see it, it makes more sense to focus on your existing clients and motivate them to want to refer their friends. How can you do this? By offering unbelievable customer service through the 5 Senses Program. Not just good customer service. Not just satisfactory, status quo customer service. But unbelievable customer service.

In Kenneth Blanchard's wonderful book, Raving Fans, he says it's not enough to have a "satisfied customer." Have you noticed that customer service in most industries has gone downhill in the past ten years or so? When you're out shopping for clothing, you almost have to pretend you're stealing something just to get a salesperson to come over and say hello.

These days, it's not enough to have a satisfied customer, because your clients' expectations are so low that they'll be satisfied if you just don't slap them! In his book, Blanchard says you need raving fans, clients who are so excited about their experience in your salon that they eagerly tell all their friends about you.

I believe we need to take a different approach to looking at the salon industry. It's not about just having salon owners, managers, receptionists, hairdressers, and clients. Instead, we need directors, producers, choreographers, prop people, actors . . . and an audience! When was the last time you received a standing ovation from your audience-your raving fan clients?

To desperately try to increase their revenues, some salon owners spend a lot of money remodeling their salons so they can visually appeal to their clients, which is important. However, human beings have five senses, and salons need to appeal to all five. Using the 5 Senses Program will help you implement unbelievable customer service and attract and retain those ideal clients. In the meantime, just remember that you're an actor, and it's time to do everything in your power to give that sold-out performance and earn your standing ovation!

Sight
The first thing that comes to mind on how you can visually appeal to your customers is cleanliness. I can't stress enough the importance of having a clean salon. In fact, your salon should be cleaner than your client's own home. If your client keeps an immaculate home, and then sits in your stylist's chair and sees clutter all over the station, personal pictures all over the mirror, and hair all over the floor, it won't matter how great the haircut is because you've already offended the client.

Hanging fashion posters in the salon is another great way to visually appeal to your clients. They help dictate what the salon represents. Along the same lines, only subscribe to fashion magazines. Get rid of those gossip tabloids!

Visually, one of the greatest things your salon staff can do to appeal to the client would be to improve their appearance. It's important to look the part of a professional and to dictate fashion. Would you trust a dentist who didn't have any teeth?

Smell
This second sense is why we have the wonderful fragrances in the products we use on our customers. Create a dialogue with your customer about why certain herbs or ingredients are contained in the products you use.

It's also important to consider the air quality in your salon. If cigarette smoke offends just one customer, that's one too many!

Taste
Do you offer refreshments to your customers? If so, great! However, I'm more concerned with the presentation than with the type of refreshments you serve. I didn't realize the importance of this until I went into a salon and they offered me champagne. I thought to myself, Champagne! That's great. But it was served in a paper cup! Was I impressed? Not at all! Although it may be labor intensive, it's worth the effort to serve champagne in a glass, and coffee in a mug. Remember, your clients could get a great haircut down the street for the same price, but they might come back to you simply because you serve coffee in a clean, nice mug. And besides, Styrofoam cups offend some clients.

Hearing
In terms of music, you'll want to provide a soothing and relaxing experience for your clients. Yet certain staff members may want to listen to head-banging rock and roll. Who are you trying to cater to-your staff or your clients? Your staff may say they want rock-and-roll music to keep themselves motivated throughout the day. However, your staff's motivation shouldn't come from the music you play. Experts say that the best type of music to listen to in a salon environment is light jazz.

Touch
A recent survey showed that what clients liked best about their visit to the salon was the wonderful massage at the shampoo bowl, the manicure station, or during the facial. Unfortunately, stylist surveys show that what they hate doing the most is the massage at the shampoo bowl. Stylists know it's what their clients like the most, and yet maybe only one out of ten stylists can honestly say they give every single client a wonderful massage, every single time.

Salons that are truly dedicated to making more money, and therefore are committed to quality customer service, will guarantee a five-minute, stress-relieving, relaxing massage for every customer, or the entire service is free! Remember, unbelievable customer service is not optional.

Using the 5-Senses Program will help you implement unbelievable customer service, and in return attract and retain ideal clients. Remember that you're an actor and it's time to do everything in your power to give that sold-out performance and earn your standing ovation!

By Win Claybaugh

Thanks for posting this on, Lellipop, it makes good reading. It's always good to brush up on stuff like this and think about what else could be done to make clients feel looked after and relaxed. xx

i'm coming to YOUR salon! :hug:

I agree with all the above comments. I alway like to "put myself in the clients shoes". What would I LIKE. We go to a salon because we want to feel special, relax, have a great experience. I like it to feel welcoming, but not too over the top. I like to be remembered (maybe they don't remember you really - it's hard to with so many clients), but you can make notes on record cards to jog your memory i.e. what the clients favorite drink is in the salon - "would you like tea with two sugars again or we have..... xxx ". That type of thing is really nice. There is NOTHING worse than entering a salon and being ignored for ages and ages or not being offered a seat, you know just left standing til the sylist / therapist comes over eventually. Excellent time keeping on the salons part (if they're running late, come over and explain and if it's a problem offer a solution). The client is paying, they should have HIGH expectations I think.

Well while being served today buying a top at brookfield farm in cheshunt today ,good customer service would be actually acknowledging your existence.Not once did anyone say anything other than the price and do you want cash back during the whole transaction..And absolutely no eye contact.
Thats the way not to do it.

:green: thanks everyone for your advice i think i understand now so just got to wait for any interviews now as trying to get a job with no qualifications is hard
thats why im going to college in sept to help me but wanted some experience in a salon

Well while being served today buying a top at brookfield farm in cheshunt today ,good customer service would be actually acknowledging your existence.Not once did anyone say anything other than the price and do you want cash back during the whole transaction..And absolutely no eye contact.

People carrying on a conversation with someone else while they're supposed to be serving you. Really gets my goat!!!!!:mad:

Very true Gillian, another way to answer this question is to thinks of all the examples of bad customer service we've seen and avoid them like the plague!
Halfords are dire at good customer service, they seem to have no idea of it all.
I had to complain about a lad at the Tesco petrol station one night, he sat texting whilst taking my payment (again no eye contact), then when I dared to ask for a receipt he grunted and tossed it across the counter to me.:eek:

My view on good customer service is a combination of knowledgeable staff (or at the very least efficient staff that can direct queries the right way and get an answer), politeness, a smile, eye contact where appropriate and making the customer feel special (full attention, genuinely interested in what they have to say, and not 'yeah, yeah i know what you mean'!)
HTHs:)

My view on good customer service is a combination of knowledgeable staff (or at the very least efficient staff that can direct queries the right way and get an answer), politeness, a smile, eye contact where appropriate and making the customer feel special (full attention, genuinely interested in what they have to say, and not 'yeah, yeah i know what you mean'!)
HTHs:)

I worked as a receptionist for a spa for a year and "All of the above" would come to mind when relaying good customer service in an interview.
You can either quote something that you have done in the past, or what you think good customer service is, they both get the message across.
I know the "buzz words" the director who interviewed me was looking for were:
Attentive, caring, welcoming, answer phone quickly with a clear welcome, always trying to meet clients appointment needs, knowledgable about products and services and able to assist walk ins with queries, able to identify clients needs.

Not wanting to flog an old horse, but as everyone has said, you just need to think about what you would expect from a retail service.

Good luck for your next interview! Just think positive!:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back