What do you do regarding L&P smell?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlalouise

Reaction score
I've just moved from a home salon to a high street salon and I am working with a lady who does acrylic nails. I'm not used to that smell and neither are my clients, having worked with it today I have a massive headache!! Can anyone tell me what we can do to filter the smell or at least make it less potent!?!

I know you can get extractor fans but can someone point me in the right direction??

Many thanks. Xx

I've just moved from a home salon to a high street salon and I am working with a lady who does acrylic nails. I'm not used to that smell and neither are my clients, having worked with it today I have a massive headache!! Can anyone tell me what we can do to filter the smell or at least make it less potent!?!

I know you can get extractor fans but can someone point me in the right direction??

Many thanks. Xx

She needs to use better working practises as the smell doesn't have to be great if good techniques are used; and she should be working at a desk that has a ventilation system, as should all nail technicians , whatever product/system they are using (as per manufacturers instructions).

Even if a person uses gels or low odour systems, the vapour is still in the air, even if you can't smell it. ... Everyone should be following manufacturers instructions including the OP.

Purex make a good desk with a good system of ventilation. I like the smell of monomer, but it shouldn't be overpowering. A little odour is part of what we do just as perm solution odour is part of a hairdressers job. Neither odour is physically harmful but any odour should be minimised where you can.

Suggest they use a dappen dish with a lid, made a big difference for me x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thanks I think her practises must cause the smell to be that potent as I have worked with other nail techs a few years back and can't remember it smelling that bad!!

I will suggest a dappen dish with a lid, already have nail desk but it doesn't have ventilation, is there a good mobile one or something we could put in the wall like an extractor fan?? xx

Also make sure a metal bin with a lid is used and emptied regularly this stops any smells lingering!

Here are some suggestions for the technician to minimise odour in the salon. Excuse the fact that it sounds as if I am addressing you personally. I have quoted below from a post I made some time ago to a specific person.

The biggest way of producing a strong odour in the work place is to wipe your brush on your table towel! Some have the atrocious habit of even draining liquid from their brush every time they make a bead, on their towel. Your goal should be to only wipe your brush gently between and only then if you NEED to to remove any excess polymer from it. Really your brush should be clean if you are working at the correct mix ratio.

If you have to wipe your brush, do so on a gauze pad that is damp with ScrubFresh ... This will draw odour into the pad not the air.
Never wipe your brush on the dry table towel ... Only the pad; doing this will also reduce the chances of you resting your wrist on the paper towel where you were previously wiping, and risking allergy or irritation.

Never use an open bin for waste materials ... Only a lined metal waste bin with a lid.

Never leave your Dappen dish open to the air apart from the few minutes you are using it. Avoid using pumps for monomer liquid.

Just a few simple tips can reduce odour up to 70% immediately. Good habits are much more effective than extraction for removing vapours from the work space ... Extraction is mainly to reduce dust in your breathing area. HTH

I can personally vouch for Gigi's advice:)
I remember years ago I used to stink myself out but I have changed the way I work using Gigi's tips and they really do reduce vapors in the air, you would be surprised how much they are reduced just with some simple changes in work technique.

Make a copy of Gigi's post and take it to work and either give it to the tech and tell her about it and suggest she try these simple changes.

The strong vapors also depend on the brand being used, some brands on monomer are very strong and others are not.
I use NSI Attraction monomer and I have no complaints from any clients or my darling hubby (and he hates the smell of monomer).

I work the way Gigi describes and my clients have mentioned that the smell is not strong at all.
Vicki x

Ditto x

I also think some products are stronger smelling than others x

I don't suppose you have noticed what brand she is using. I used to use a wholesale brand in the very beginning and then Naio both were quite strong. I switched to NSI and then to CND and now clients don't ever mention the smell and my fiance doesn't complain of me coming home smelling of it either.

He used to always complain that he could smell it on me lol x

She needs to use better working practises as the smell doesn't have to be great if good techniques are used; and she should be working at a desk that has a ventilation system, as should all nail technicians , whatever product/system they are using (as per manufacturers instructions).

Even if a person uses gels or low odour systems, the vapour is still in the air, even if you can't smell it. ... Everyone should be following manufacturers instructions including the OP.

Purex make a good desk with a good system of ventilation. I like the smell of monomer, but it shouldn't be overpowering. A little odour is part of what we do just as perm solution odour is part of a hairdressers job. Neither odour is physically harmful but any odour should be minimised where you can.

I have a desk from Purex the extraction is great would really recommend it x

Thank you everyone!! Our Nail technician uses CND, Gigi, I'm going to print your advise off and give to her. Many thanks. Xxx

I'm glad I've found this thread as i got my first trial size of monomer and powder to have a play, and BOY is it strong! Could feel it rushing to my brain and a headache commencing!

Will use tips above, thanks x

Latest posts

Back