What do you expect from your education?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
24$ a year doesn't cover the paperwork. Personally, I think it should be much higher and include insurance, but that's a whole other kettle of fish. Here in Quebec, your license has some insurance included on it.....
Many may squawk at the $$..... but long term, it would minimize the backyard barbies etc....
If someone is serious, then they'll pay it.
If we weed out backyard barbies/nss (not abolished, that's impossible, but at least decrease the numbers) then our business will grow and so will our salaries.

You're right...IF someone is serious, they will pay it. The 'problem' comes in when you have the UNscrupulous who DON'T go to school, DON'T get licensed and DON'T practice safe standards. They set up shop wherever and go on.

Because we could weed out crappy schools because gov'ts would have 'standards', and require licensing, etc...... snowball... babysteps.
Can I ask why you think it wouldn't??
IF licensing is required and a shop can be shut without it. If there is a policing office in place, that ensures that these standards are adhered to, and brought to task those that didn't tow the line....

I guess I can only explain it this way (and I'm only talking Michigan, where I live): We do have standards, we do HAVE to attend school (400 hours in MI), we do HAVE to be licensed and it has NOT cut down on the NSS. Why? Because some folks feel the rules don't apply to them!

We do have a policing agency in place and it has done virtually NOTHING in shutting down the NSS.

Honestly, I wish there were an easy answer... :)

I don't know about you. But I detest being told I can't do something, when there's absolutely no reason why not. You might as well wave a red flag in front of a bull.

DITTO! xx

V can i just ask you something.... Do you not think Ezflow and CND are the training that you want to see available do you think there needs to be something better?xx

V can i just ask you something.... Do you not think Ezflow and CND are the training that you want to see available do you think there needs to be something better?xx

Here in Montreal, there is no nvq or similar.
And to my mind, a 3 day course is NOT sufficient. I see it time and again, here on this site, newb's that just finished their course and are left bumping along, making mistakes they wouldn't have made had they had a more intensive course OR MORE IMPORTANTLY... more theory!
Myself included.

AND if peeps like myself or other techs, had not found this site; we'd either be still bumping along OR would have thrown in the towel out of frustration.

I'm not familiar with CND. I can only comment on the EZ Flow course here in Montreal. Whether it compares to the one in the US or UK, I couldn't say.
But in a nutshell, I'm VERY dissappointed and had I been a 'newbie' tech.....I can't imagine starting a business based on that 3 day course. Impossible.
The theory alone was only 25 pages, 5 of which were pictures, and the other 20 riddled with errors (and some only 1/2 page long out of the 20).

As per how things are done in Quebec, that 3 day course is supposed to be sufficient enough to put me to work in a salon or start my business.

I think it's DISGUSTING!

Do you want someone cutting & colouring your hair after 3 days of training? Fixing your car? TEaching your kids? etc etc etc??
Why shouldn't we expect a better education for nail techs?
What? We're "ONLY" nail techs and "it's so easy to do nails" that we don't need a good education?

I also think we won't get respect in this industry by outsiders/consumers/family until standards are raised, and education is improved.

just some personal thoughts....

Here in Montreal, there is no nvq or similar.
And to my mind, a 3 day course is NOT sufficient. I see it time and again, here on this site, newb's that just finished their course and are left bumping along, making mistakes they wouldn't have made had they had a more intensive course OR MORE IMPORTANTLY... more theory!
Myself included.

AND if peeps like myself or other techs, had not found this site; we'd either be still bumping along OR would have thrown in the towel out of frustration.

I'm not familiar with CND. I can only comment on the EZ Flow course here in Montreal. Whether it compares to the one in the US or UK, I couldn't say.
But in a nutshell, I'm VERY dissappointed and had I been a 'newbie' tech.....I can't imagine starting a business based on that 3 day course. Impossible.
The theory alone was only 25 pages, 5 of which were pictures, and the other 20 riddled with errors (and some only 1/2 page long out of the 20).

As per how things are done in Quebec, that 3 day course is supposed to be sufficient enough to put me to work in a salon or start my business.

I think it's DISGUSTING!

Do you want someone cutting & colouring your hair after 3 days of training? Fixing your car? TEaching your kids? etc etc etc??
Why shouldn't we expect a better education for nail techs?
What? We're "ONLY" nail techs and "it's so easy to do nails" that we don't need a good education?

I also think we won't get respect in this industry by outsiders/consumers/family until standards are raised, and education is improved.

just some personal thoughts....

Hmm i understand your frustations and i for one have felt this feeling!
Im not too sure on Ez flow training in the Uk niether CND as i do my conversion course tommorow so i shall see how good the training really is.

I also agree that we do not get enough respect in this industry people think its easy to do nails its a 'girls job' its a fun job and easy money.
When it just isnt as you know! I will say though my mum can see how much training and hard work it takes to be in this industry and she is very proud of the hard work, time and efforts i put into EVERYTHING regarding the nail and beauty industry.

I do think nail technicians do need a high standards of training as after all we are looking after other people, someone elses nails are in our hands and truth be told if your not qualified or not upto good standards of qualification you can cause some serious damage to the nails.

I would like to see training standards higher as in none of these home learn courses or petty 1 day training in 1 system and thats it. I think these places should be closed down. i.e training standards set higher.

And i would like respect levels to be higher as im sick of hearing but your job is easy your a beauty therapist or nail technician i just want to scream and say no its not!!

xx

So, NSS aside (because that's not really what this thread is about), what do people want from a course?

What I am hearing most is in this thread is "it can't be done".
And I have to ask......... Why not?????
No one could possibly expect overnight results. That would be ridiculous.
But if a course existed, and everyone got on board and pushed it: Industry leaders, Distributors, Educators, Industry Magazines, Industry Websites... TECHNICIANS going to their local governments...

Ok this thread is getting a little ridiculous I'll tell you why not;
1)different countries have different national frameworks
2)There are several organisations set up to first improve their own countries standard and control issues for our industry. To merge a young country (to nails) into a international framework would be crazy
3)Who will fund this?
4)who will represent this - taken into consideration that time is money
5)why would all countries give a crap?

Although I am somewhat involved in the I.S 380 over here I still dont understand completely the national framework of Ireland and where some of my classes fit in. What I see is trying to measure a practical skill - how do you measure talent? how do you measure why some people just click with it and some dont. I understand audio, visual and kinesetic learners and try to encourage each one - forcing them to learn in one way is NOT going to work.

It is not a course you need but understanding - I'm not going to get into who I think has this level of Education as I'm sure you know but what I'm not sure about is that if you feel this strongly why do you not just go and train with them? There is a definite hireachy and education system and you will find all your questions answered and maybe could even sort out the lack of training you find around you. JMHO

What I am hearing most is in this thread is "it can't be done".
And I have to ask......... Why not?????
No one could possibly expect overnight results. That would be ridiculous.
But if a course existed, and everyone got on board and pushed it: Industry leaders, Distributors, Educators, Industry Magazines, Industry Websites... TECHNICIANS going to their local governments...

Ok this thread is getting a little ridiculous I'll tell you why not;
1)different countries have different national frameworks
Perhaps you think it's ridiculous, I certainly don't. As for different national frameworks; as succinctly pointed out by Doug Schoon, doctor's around the world ALL know what Osteoporosis is, and there isn't any confusion about it. Why can't we have the same in terms of Theory?

2)There are several organisations set up to first improve their own countries standard and control issues for our industry. To merge a young country (to nails) into a international framework would be crazy
Why?

3)Who will fund this?
Fund what specifically? A course that people will pay for? The students obviously.

4)who will represent this - taken into consideration that time is money
Represent what? The course? The people that believe in it. The industry leaders and educators that find it has value. As for time being money, I have absolutely NO QUALMS about spending my time making phone calls and writing letters to the appropriate offices where I live, pushing this idea.
5)why would all countries give a crap?
Maybe the 'government' itself doesn't give a 'crap', as you put so eloquently, however any tech worth her salt wants a decent education, and for those where it's not available, they have to look outside for it. If it could be made available to them, then they'd give a 'crap', wouldn't they? And if decent techs approached the government, and pushed a bit here and there..... Baby steps.... changes don't happen overnight.

Although I am somewhat involved in the I.S 380 over here
I have no idea what that is.

I still dont understand completely the national framework of Ireland and where some of my classes fit in. What I see is trying to measure a practical skill - how do you measure talent? how do you measure why some people just click with it and some dont. I understand audio, visual and kinesetic learners and try to encourage each one - forcing them to learn in one way is NOT going to work.
I don't understand what you're saying here. I don't understand your question or your point.

It is not a course you need but understanding -
BINGO!! You hit the nail on the head. An 'understanding' that is equal across all borders in terms of Theory. A course based on theory, that would be the beginning of uniting nail techs and improving the industry.

I'm not going to get into who I think has this level of Education as I'm sure you know but what I'm not sure about is that if you feel this strongly why do you not just go and train with them? There is a definite hireachy and education system and you will find all your questions answered and maybe could even sort out the lack of training you find around you. JMHO
Are you going to pay my airfare for me to travel where I need to go to get my education? Will you pay for my babysitter and petsitter? and travel expenses? AND THEN there's still the course itself to pay for. The average person who wants to learn the business, already has to scrimp and save to take a course local to them. And you're suggesting that those of us that can't find it locally should go abroad for it? Why shouldn't we expect it locally, and want it to be here? In other words, those of us that can't find decent education local to where we are should just suffer the consequences because no one else gives a 'crap'?? That we are wrong to ask for better? Are we not entitled to equal?

Given the amount of education you have personally had, it's clear that it's important to you. It's just as important to me, and others like myself.
And it's fine and dandy if I win the loto tomorrow to pay to take whatever course tickles my fancy around the world. HOWEVER, that does absolutely nothing for other techs living where I do, or in similar places with a similar dilemma. AND as I said in a previous thread, shame on me if I don't try to change it.

Someone had to have changed things where you are, it all began somewhere...... Now it needs to begin in other places.

Someone had to have changed things where you are, it all began somewhere...... Now it needs to begin in other places.[/quote]

My view is that the calibre or product led education comes from the distributors themselves and their values and ethics of education, versus sales The distributors who put value on the education they sell and value their educators too.....and the product manufacturer apply their distributor and education standards globally.

Although on a national level we do have NVQs which are meant to be taught to the national standard, colleges have their issues too, in terms of passing students for funding and even finding the calibre of tutor required. Not all are taught to the same standard.

What I do believe to be an issue in this country is the number of stand alone nail schools, who offer 1, 2, 3 day courses to teach all systems with no follow up courses in place....I guess that is a question for the people who do the accreditation of these courses.

It's a massive subject and I believe there will never be a world wide course text book, although Nail Structure and Product Chemistry is pretty well out there.

Maybe for Quebec you need to be putting yourself forward to become an educator and improve local standards that way, you have the passion to do something there locally.:hug:

Last edited:
I'll start at the top:
Doug Schoon is not talking about courses he is talking about terminology.
The same theory is taught around the world if you want as every tech has access to the same reading/learning materials - you are irradicating yourself from YOUR own learning path. Its is also the responsibility of the learning to seek out further information in his/her field - yes it costs money but that is all around the world. I was fortunate enough to go to a good school/academy and get a good education and I have shelled out so much money in this industry that I do not own my own home - I will do soon but I chose my career and learning.
I teach ITEC level 2 mainly and its the same all across the scale, it falls into the same place as NVQ's on the national framework.
Here in Ireland we have a framework that is only beginning to recognise BABTEC/CIDESCO/ITEC/FETAC level so this 'international' qualification wouldnt fit in and would need theframework re-written which has to go up to governmental level and possible to european union.
Whose gonna fund it - the paperwork alone would make it unfeasable for us nail techs to fund - who wants to fund something that may take 50yrs to come into fruitition.
To make such a qualification would take a governing body- just who will sit on this body? will all theses people just give up their time to meet, write, re-write, meet up again take it to the appropriate level. Would it be a fair body as product companies, teachers, school owners, non-profit organisations, industry leaders would all have to agree.
And actually although most do want great education MOST are not willing to pay for it this site shows that, Other countries wount give a crap, I'm not particulary bothered that you have a problem over in canada as I have seen many Canadian techs on this site who have great business' and have received great training. If you want it its out there, maybe not on your doorstep but it is. I've trained in Poland and America and I loved it as I wasnt going to meet the people and get the training I did if I hadnt spent the money
The I.S 380 is a programme dsigned to have all training establishments in Ireland working and assessing students in the same way - so you see I actually know quite aboit about what you are asking I'm not just asking why, why, why! You dont understand my point because you are not a qualified educator, nor do you understand how classes/syllabus' are put together. I have actually thought about this whole international qualification and the only way I can see it working is if the course was a degree. a degree is recognised all over the world - now how to put it together is the hard thing.

I understand you are trying to change things where you live but unfortunetly unless someone pays up, learns all only then something will change. If that person is you I wish you well with your training. I have had the most amazing experiences with some of the industrys best. Because of my training many doors have opened for me and I am finally able to re-coup some of the money I have spent. I'm debating at the moment wether to embark on a podiatry course - there is only 1 in republic of Ireland and its on the west coast, the other alternative is to go to northen Ireland so if I do decide to do the course I'll be travelling miles and payingabout 3k per year. It's what I have to do to have the level of education I want

I think my biggest gripe with nail education generally is that too little attention is paid to teaching people to rebalance properly. It just smacks of 'You file it down and reapply!' Might sound easy enough, but it isn't, and you may as well forget about anything to do with chips or cracks etc. :irked:

I do think that where nails are concerned it's an ongoing process and there's too much to learn and take in to be expected to get it all in one hit. A lot of it's down to going away and getting regular practise and then going back for more, as and when the need arises and you're sufficiently competent to take it on board.

I am really not sure what the answer is, but I definitely don't feel that these very short 'One off' excuses for training, especially where they 'Teach' you all the systems at the rate of one a day, is the answer. It's certainly a great money spinner for some, but just a source of disillusionment and frustration for those who get sucked in. No wonder there's such a high fall out rate with the nail industry!

I have often wondered why there is such a huge disparity between nail techs' and hairdressers' respective educational opportunities? The latter expect to do at least a whole year at level 2 in order to grasp the basics and then there's always the option of level 3. Why is this and why should it be deemed sufficient for nail techs to be offered so little by comparison? I know there are the two levels within the nail business, but they're nowhere near as plentiful, at least in my area. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's a much newer industry and, as yet, hasn't been taken seriously enough in some quarters? Just a thought!

Ok..... just to touch back to base because this has deviated in many different directions...
The question is what people want out of education? What do they expect? What didn't they get? What could teachers/schools do better... etc (as all outlined in original post).

This thread has gone in a direction different from the original question, which is fine, it gives food for thought. But just to make it clear: the topic at hand is not abolishing the NSS, or about a course reaching across international borders (which I'd like to see, don't get me wrong) and it's not about making education available where there is none (which I'd also like to see). It's not about my personal experience, per se, but about EVERYONE'S around the world.

It's about What YOU (the tech) expect from YOUR education. And those are the answers I'm interested in.

BUT I'll reply to Red, all the same.

I'll start at the top:
Doug Schoon is not talking about courses he is talking about terminology.
EXACTLY which is where many courses differ. Theory courses are NOT equal across the board as they are in medecine, hence the discussion that took place on FB regarding his status and how so many techs don't know the difference between cuticle, eponychium and pterigium (sp?).
The same theory is taught around the world if you want
Wrong. It's not. You had only to attend my own course to know this. Perhaps I should scan my theory notes provided to me by the school and send them to you. Should be enlightening.
as every tech has access to the same reading/learning materials
No, that's VERY untrue. I only became aware of Doug's and other books once I happened upon this website. Had I not searched, I wouldn't have known and I'm certain I'm not alone in this experience. I would like to see more schools either A) ACTUALLY INCLUDE THESE MATERIALS in their courses OR B) offer a culmination of these materials in their courses.
- you are irradicating yourself from YOUR own learning path.
No, I haven't. If anything, I have embraced it at full throttle.
Its is also the responsibility of the learning to seek out further information in his/her field - yes it costs money but that is all around the world.
I don't disagree with this. What I disagree with is that some must travel abroad and that's simply unjust.
I was fortunate enough to go to a good school/academy and get a good education and I have shelled out so much money in this industry that I do not own my own home - I will do soon but I chose my career and learning.
I'm happy for you. We however, do not have such schools nor academy's here. I don't own my own home either. My husband does. He didn't choose to pay for my course, I struggled alone in that without any support. But just to note: here apartment rent is actually double the cost of owning a home in the town we reside. We can't afford to rent. So the house wasn't a "luxury", it was a budget choice.
I teach ITEC level 2 mainly and its the same all across the scale, it falls into the same place as NVQ's on the national framework.
We don't have that, and I have no idea what it is.
Here in Ireland we have a framework that is only beginning to recognise BABTEC/CIDESCO/ITEC/FETAC level so this 'international' qualification wouldnt fit in and would need theframework re-written which has to go up to governmental level and possible to european union.
I don't know what all of that is either. So clearly, we don't have any of that.
Whose gonna fund it - the paperwork alone would make it unfeasable for us nail techs to fund - who wants to fund something that may take 50yrs to come into fruitition.
Baby steps, you're jumping ahead of the gun. And as I said earlier, it doesn't cost a great deal to write a letter here and there.
To make such a qualification would take a governing body- just who will sit on this body? will all theses people just give up their time to meet, write, re-write, meet up again take it to the appropriate level. Would it be a fair body as product companies, teachers, school owners, non-profit organisations, industry leaders would all have to agree.
And yet similar has been accomplished in the medical field... how did that happen? Someone had to agree. Leaders in the various fields of medicine had to meet together, communicate together... and share their ideas, discuss them...
And actually although most do want great education MOST are not willing to pay for it this site shows that,
Paying for a website membership and paying for a course are two very different things and you simply can't compare them. Nobody's handing out diplomas for having participated or learned from this website (while I'm beginning to think that they should LOL)
In the beginning, Distributors and whomever devises the course pays for it, and at the other end, they recoup their expenses via course fees paid for by the students. And USUALLY with profit. Elsewise, why is anyone teaching in the first place? I'm pretty sure that Teachers earn wages, no one does it for free.
Other countries wount give a crap, I'm not particulary bothered that you have a problem over in canada as I have seen many Canadian techs on this site who have great business' and have received great training.
Other countries don't give a crap? Canadian gov't doesn't give a crap at the moment, but a CANADIAN RESIDENT does.... As I'm sure there are other TEchs out there in similar situation that GIVE A CRAP.
Of course you're not bothered. It doesn't affect you directly, so why give a crap? I do not argue that we don't have great techs... we DO. What I argue is the lack of quality education. Yay for them, they live in a province that has standards. I am sincerely happy for them. We only have 2 provinces out of the whole country that have any sort of standards. The rest of us are up the creek without a paddle and all you can say is "too bad'?
If you want it its out there, maybe not on your doorstep but it is.
Really? Find it in my city or pay for the travel.
I've trained in Poland and America and I loved it as I wasnt going to meet the people and get the training I did if I hadnt spent the money
Most techs or aspiring techs are not in your position and you're mistaken if you think that most can do as you have. I don't begrudge you it, I'm happy for you. But let's be realistic, not everyone is as lucky as you.
The I.S 380 is a programme dsigned to have all training establishments in Ireland working and assessing students in the same way - so you see I actually know quite aboit about what you are asking I'm not just asking why, why, why!
THIS is my goal on a smaller scale (but first I want to start in Quebec, then Canada..), and you argue against it? Let me see if I get this straight.. you're entitled to this but the rest of us aren't? I don't understand you.
You dont understand my point because you are not a qualified educator, nor do you understand how classes/syllabus' are put together.
Of course I do understand. I'm not completely ignorant. For the record, I worked in the local School Board for 2yrs. 1yr in the 'Educational Services' dept. that did EXACTLY that. Please do not make assumptions. It's rather insulting. I don't have to be a 'qualified educator' to actually know something and understand the amount of work that goes into it. And as a student, I'm in the perfect position to see what's missing from my own education and in the perfect position to critique as I'm on the receiving end of these course outlines and syallabus'.
AS AN EDUCATOR you're in a perfect position to answer some of my original questions at the beginning of the thread.
I have actually thought about this whole international qualification and the only way I can see it working is if the course was a degree. a degree is recognised all over the world - now how to put it together is the hard thing.
By starting with Theory. Uniting everyone in terms of theory and terminology will go a LONG way towards the rest of it.

I understand you are trying to change things where you live but unfortunetly unless someone pays up, learns all only then something will change. If that person is you I wish you well with your training.
I thank you, but I don't assume that I'm the one that will make any great impact. But even if I get people thinking, striving.. then I'll have done enough. I'm only one person, with family demands. My children are first and foremost, and my career secondary. Meaning that I can only devote so many hours to the attempt of changing things or making a difference. But when I can and where I can, I do, and shall try.
I have had the most amazing experiences with some of the industrys best. Because of my training many doors have opened for me and I am finally able to re-coup some of the money I have spent. I'm debating at the moment wether to embark on a podiatry course - there is only 1 in republic of Ireland and its on the west coast, the other alternative is to go to northen Ireland so if I do decide to do the course I'll be travelling miles and payingabout 3k per year. It's what I have to do to have the level of education I want
Then I wish you the best.

I think my biggest gripe with nail education generally is that too little attention is paid to teaching people to rebalance properly. It just smacks of 'You file it down and reapply!' Might sound easy enough, but it isn't, and you may as well forget about anything to do with chips or cracks etc. :irked:
I agree!
I do think that where nails are concerned it's an ongoing process and there's too much to learn and take in to be expected to get it all in one hit.
It all depends on the duration of the course, materials taught, and it's intensity. If it's only 3 days, then not a great deal is absorbed, most is rushed through and glossed over... and much is missed.
A lot of it's down to going away and getting regular practise and then going back for more, as and when the need arises and you're sufficiently competent to take it on board.

I am really not sure what the answer is, but I definitely don't feel that these very short 'One off' excuses for training, especially where they 'Teach' you all the systems at the rate of one a day, is the answer. It's certainly a great money spinner for some, but just a source of disillusionment and frustration for those who get sucked in. No wonder there's such a high fall out rate with the nail industry!
EXACTLY!

I have often wondered why there is such a huge disparity between nail techs' and hairdressers' respective educational opportunities? The latter expect to do at least a whole year at level 2 in order to grasp the basics and then there's always the option of level 3. Why is this and why should it be deemed sufficient for nail techs to be offered so little by comparison?
A very valid point!!!!!
I know there are the two levels within the nail business, but they're nowhere near as plentiful, at least in my area. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's a much newer industry and, as yet, hasn't been taken seriously enough in some quarters? Just a thought!
I think you're on to something there. We AREN'T taken seriously. Not by consumers, not by our family & friends, not by the governments that determine what requries stricter education/guidelines/licenses etc... We need to work to that end.

Thanks for sharing!

I can now comment more on this due to me completing my CND conversion brisa course today.
What I expect from my training is what i got today and yesterday from CND.
It covered theory and ALLOT of it, all of my questions,problems,concerns were answered.
Allot of practical was covered. I have walked away from this course knowing a thousands more than i already knew. I feel a whole lot more confident.

That is what i can call the perfect training

xx

From an instructors view...
How many hours do you think a 'good' course should take in total? I would really like 600 but am limited by space and other demands to 400
How many hours devoted to theory? I spend a minimum of 150 theory hours, dedicated JUST to theory, but also take the time to discuss theory during the practical applications- sometimes just hearing and reading doesn't get the information the student really needs.
What specifically should be covered in theory? At minimum, sanitation and disinfection, safe work procedures and ergonomically correct techniques, nail and skin diseases/disorders, anatomy of skin and nails, basic nail chemistry of ALL systems- gel, l & p, and fiberglass/silk- anatomy of hands, arms, feet, and legs
How many hours devoted to practical? Hours for practical is hard to pin down- I like seeing a specific number of practical applications and working toward a "professional" level nail. I've been considered somewhat mean, in our 400 hours they have to do 10 sculptured sets, 10 blended natural tips, 10 tailored white tips and 10 nautral nail overlays in addition to 10 pedicures and 50 manicures.
What specifically should be covered in practical? What I would consider "basics"- sculpting, tipping and wrapping, using all 3 types, a gel, l & p, and silk or fiber glass, manicuring with hand/arm massage, pedicuring with foot/leg massage. Realistically the student should have entry level skills that will allow them to tailor their skills to the salon of their choice.
How stringent should examination be?Again I'm tough, I want to know that the information is easily recalled and can be tested verablly/written or orally (I realise some people don't test well, they draw a blank when a test paper is handed to them) as well as through practical demonstration.
What should the minimum passing grade be? Once again, tough- I expect 75% or better

If you could put all courses together into one.....and all books together into one.... What would you like to see in it? I personally use them all, Salon Fundamentals, Milady, Doug's book, Encycopedia of nails and various other authors I've picked up along the way, I also keep a reference library of various nail mags with important articles flagged that is available to any and all students.

What would you want added that isn't found in usual courses and must be learned later at additional cost BUT you feel it should be part of the initial course?

IF you teach.... what would you like to see implemented? higher educational requirements, I know I give them loads of info, but I'd really like for other schools/manufacturers/educators to do the same.

What do you feel are the biggest mistakes in courses either by A) students or B) teachers? Not all teachers care, they are about the bottom dollar and simply making a profit- get 'em in, get 'em out, get their money, on the flip side, not all the students care either....I'd love to have classes full of passionate students, instead of a few passionates, a couple interested, and the one or two that are only here because their parents/spouse/significant other forced them too until they figure out what they really want to do with their lives.

:hug:
Internationally, countries and their governments all have different regulations and generally inquire about training or experience, it would be fantastic if we were all on the same page about terminology, eventually it can happen, but it will take quite a few passionate educators and technicians to make it happen.

Jeni..... I WANT TO GO TO YOUR SCHOOL!!!

LOL :lol: (when you read in the paper that I've won the loto, get your spare room ready, I'm moving in LOL)

Seriously, that sounds like the kind of school that churns out students that will do well. That KNOW what they are supposed to know.
That is the kind of schooling I'd LOVE to see implemented everywhere.
And I'm especially glad to hear your points of view on Theory and fundamentals.

THANKS for sharing!
:hug:

Latest posts

Back