What do you say when people ask where you get your retail from and how much it costs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

So Im in the process of setting up a new salon. I have ordered in some truly beautiful candles, body lotions etc and have had them put my salon name on these items. Im not eve open yet and have already had people asking where I get them from and how much I buy them in for?

Now clearly I don't want to be telling anyone, client or another professional in my area as its quite a niche for here. How do I avoid this question or better still answer it politely?

Thanks all!

Hi Geeks

So Im in the process of setting up a new salon. I have ordered in some truly beautiful candles, body lotions etc and have had them put my salon name on these items. Im not eve open yet and have already had people asking where I get them from and how much I buy them in for?

Now clearly I don't want to be telling anyone, client or another professional in my area as its quite a niche for here. How do I avoid this question or better still answer it politely?

Thanks all!

Good Lord! Unfortunately I don't have the answer but I'd like to know... I cannot believe that people do ask, you wouldn't go to Tesco and ask how much their mark-up was would you? Unfortunately, I was asked once by a make-up client and I was so caught off guard I gave out the prices then felt compelled to go well under the RRP and they still didn't buy anyway.

H x

Just give the, a little cheeky look and say 'ah, now thats a secret' and change the subject.
x

You could tell clients you buy from professional only suppliers or say to fellow professionals 'I can't tell you that, if I told you I'd have to kill' you and laugh.

I've had some clients ask and I told them 'I have many suppliers and way too many products so I can't remember all the prices sorry' and I've used the 'if I told you I'd have to kill you' line too.

Just say I have an absolutely fantastic professional company that makes them for me...aren't they gorgeous? They're available for £xx, would you like one?

Just say I have an absolutely fantastic professional company that makes them for me...aren't they gorgeous? They're available for £xx, would you like one?

perfect answer!

I like the "if I tell you they will come and get me" line.
Just tell them it's professional suppliers, and to professionals just say "I'd prefer to not give out my business purchases" if they really wanted to emulate you then they can do the research just like u did x

Just say you "have a couple of professional suppliers who are trade only. Therefore you wouldnt be able to buy one yourself from them."

If you are wanting to sell them though to clients etc, then let them know how much they would be if they bought from you. :)

Upsell!! If they're that popular, get a few extra and retail them :)

Hi Geeks

Thanks all!

Look the asker square in the eye, smile sweetly and say, 'why do you ask?' That usually shuts 'em up. HTH! :)

Thanks Ladies, Im liking the "Just say I have an absolutely fantastic professional company that makes them for me...aren't they gorgeous? They're available for £xx, would you like one?"

Im not the most confident of people and I was quite taken aback, I used the "Ive ordered from so many places I'm not honestly sure of the costs" but I was caught off guard but worried they would ask again.

Some people have no idea do they!?

I roll my eyes and say "oh I go all over the place to source the best products, takes me forever and costs me a fortune"

So there lol

Latest posts

Back