What facial range?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenrose

Reaction score
Hiya
Im going to be doing facials soon in the salon and Im looking for advice as to which products to use!
In an ideal world I would be picking Dermalogica but with a £2000 start up order its a bit out my price range! Maybe something to think about for the future though!
Iv looked at Eve Taylor so far and like those products, is there anything else you can recomend to me? Thanks!!

Hi

You can pay the cost of the dermalogica start up order over either 3 or 6 months - thats whats i'm doind coz i couldnt afford the full whack at once

Hope this helps :lol:

£333 over 6 months is still alot to pay for me tbh!

Unless you want cheap and cheerful (and frankly, why would you?) then I suggest you either wait and get a decent brand or take out a loan. If you start with cheap stuff you'll never make a name for yourself, and your clients will feel aggrieved that you palmed them off with inferior quality products at the start. It will also be harder to move your clients onto more expensive products once they've got used to a cheaper one.
There are several people on here who've taken out loans to get started with Decleor, Environ, Dermalogica etc. I can't think of one of them who's regretted it.

Unless you want cheap and cheerful (and frankly, why would you?) then I suggest you either wait and get a decent brand or take out a loan. If you start with cheap stuff you'll never make a name for yourself, and your clients will feel aggrieved that you palmed them off with inferior quality products at the start. It will also be harder to move your clients onto more expensive products once they've got used to a cheaper one.
There are several people on here who've taken out loans to get started with Decleor, Environ, Dermalogica etc. I can't think of one of them who's regretted it.

Lynne

What do you think of Eve Taylor. Would you stock it? Also I was on the swissdermyl website. There wasn't much info on it. Do you know the cost of an opening order with them as I too am only starting with 1 room but want a professional product

There isn't a SwissDermyl website for the UK per se; I set one up just so that I could forward sales enquiries to the UK distributor. I don't work for them by the way, but it just annoyed the poo out of me that it was virtually impossible to find any info about them. Things will change over the next few months though ;)

OK, there's no minimum order either at start up or at any other time for SwissDermyl. It cost me about 1K to get going with them and then I added extras as I had more dosh.

I wouldn't use Eve Taylor, personally. Just didn't like the products and as a full trained aromatherapist I decided that I didn't want to exclude a certain segment of the market that were contra'ed against essential oils. That said, of course you have to be aware that there's always going to be someone allergic to something!

I do use and stock Spiezia Organics because round here there are loads of yummy mummies who absolutely must have organic everything, darling!

I dunno, I just didn't "gel" with Eve Taylor; it didn't move me like the SwissDermyl range does.

The SwissDermyl contact is Andy Wingham on 01455 891785.
The parent company is Repcom in Geneva and this is their website:
Swissdermyl by Repcom

Iv not even done the facials course yet. And once I do I wouldnt go spending £2000 on something I might not even get any business for.
So Im looking for a good brand but one where you dont need such a large start up order.

I agree entirely here; it is a false economy to start cheap. The only people who will let you put cheap products anywhere near there faces are people who want to pay cheap prices, you will never get these people to later convert to more expensive facials or products. If you're going to offer facials you're far better off using proper professional products from day one & not some 'Sally Salon' range - client's are very product savvy these days.

I spent about £7,000ish on my start-up with Decleor, for which I took out a loan, and I have never regretted it as I have earnt that back & more many times over now. Be fair to yourself & your clients and invest in a decent range.

I use nothing to do with sallys apart from couch roll and wax spatulas!
I want to invest in something decent but not with a start up cost of £2000.
Hence me asking about Eve Taylor as I can get a start up package from them and built it up if I get busier.

Iv not even done the facials course yet. And once I do I wouldnt go spending £2000 on something I might not even get any business for.

If you haven't done the facial course there's no point in getting the products yet as you don't know what you're looking for.

As to the second point, you need to spend money to make money in this industry, if you use cheap products you'll end up doing next to no facials. I can tell you from experience that most people who have regular facials look for a brand name they trust, they won't just go anywhere and have some cheap charlie range put on them. You'll find the amount of facials you do will correlate with the quality of the range, and ergo the amount of money you will need to invest.

If you haven't done the facial course there's no point in getting the products yet as you don't know what you're looking for.

As to the second point, you need to spend money to make money in this industry, if you use cheap products you'll end up doing next to no facials. I can tell you from experience that most people who have regular facials look for a brand name they trust, they won't just go anywhere and have some cheap charlie range put on them. You'll find the amount of facials you do will correlate with the quality of the range, and ergo the amount of money you will need to invest.

Im not buying right this minute. Im getting prepared so I can do my research now on brands and products and prices so once I do my course I can get the products in.
Im not saying Im going to use cheap products, I just cant afford the start up cost of £2000 for dermalogica so I need a brand thats good but doesnt require you having to order £2000 of products.
I am a very small salon on my own, and as yet I cant justify spending £2000. If I could afford that then yes I would be getting Dermalogica in. But they are out the window unless I suddenly won the lottery. I dont do bank loans or credit cards, Im 27 and never had either in my life.

Thanks for everyones help, I will just find a brand myself

I was in a very similar situation; a small salon working on my own, and I can honestly say if you get in a good face & body range where the brand is known it will draw in clients. Don't just limit yourself to looking at ranges like Dermalogica though - there are loads of skincare ranges of varying quality, Dermalogica by no means represents the high-end of skincare!

However, as you don't want to get a loan or credit card then unless you suddenly come into the money this will never happen. At 33 I have a mortgage, have had a start-up business bank loan (which is now paid off) & a commercial credit card (that's paid off monthly) - I couldn't operate without these!!! I find they help me operate more efficiently, especially the commercial card as it gives me an extra 30 days on my 30 day invoice credit terms with my suppliers, in effect giving me 60 days to sell the products on before I have to pay for them.

Did you miss the bit where I said there was no minimum order with SwissDermyl?
And as for bank loan/credit cards; they're not the devil! Good on you that you haven't got half a dozen maxxed out cards, but having a commercial loan for a business is pretty standard, and it will help you to get started.
If you go into this thinking that you might not get business don't be surprised if you prove yourself right!

Martin and lyn are trying to give you great advice. I too have had to pay out huge opening orders for the 8 different ranges stocked in my salon and websites. Not one of those ranges was under 1500 set up.
It sounds as if you are lacking confidence in your ability to sell. There are loads of books on this subject, and all the major companies will give you free training.
You also have to consider the wider issues such as branding, training and cachet of being part of the major companies stockist list. I have Redken salons, people associate the company with top end, serious hairdressing. Myself and my staff get continuous free training, events and seminars.
So while you are in this research stage, you must consider how you wish to be percieved by clients, and how YOU perceive salons that stock each of the brands.
If YOU were given 50 quid to spend on a facial, would you choose a salon with decleor, one with swissdermyl, a dermalogica one or an eve taylor one? Then you have your answer.

I just dont want to get a credit card/loan to pay for things. I have survived so far in life and business without it so I am hoping to continue.
I have a nice house, 2 lovely kids and 2 almost new cars fully paid for with no loan/finance.
I live on the motto that If I cant afford it by cash I cant have it!
So If I had £2000 I would get dermalogica as I use some of their products already. But as I cant I want to still get a decent brand in, like Eve Taylor that is good but also a low minimum order.
Thanks for the help

I offer Eve Taylor facials, and am trained in using Dermalogica but decided that I wanted to offer something different, my clients all love Eve Taylor and I don't really see them as being 'the underdog'. I think my I spent approx £600 on setting up my product range and they are always adding to it.

I personally don't over stretch myself, and try to buy the best value products, with lasting results, and I think I do get that from Eve Taylor.

Someone said to me why copy what everyone else stocks, be a little unique, perhaps take a risk, but there are so many who offer Dermalogica and the other big brands.

Karen, I have read loads of threads similar to this over the years, not sure if you have but a search may be useful.
I love Spa Find products, they are all mineral based & are beautiful products. I have done searches on "Spa Find" before & nothing really came up :sad:
Hope that helps - good luck with finding a range to suit you :hug:

i have read on here that moor spa are good and do a start up pack that you can pay in . instalments , if that helps, i saw them at the NEC and tried the mud mask it was fantastic.. x:)

Did you miss the bit where I said there was no minimum order with SwissDermyl?
And as for bank loan/credit cards; they're not the devil! Good on you that you haven't got half a dozen maxxed out cards, but having a commercial loan for a business is pretty standard, and it will help you to get started.
If you go into this thinking that you might not get business don't be surprised if you prove yourself right!

Lynne and Martin

Have either of you heard of Dr Belter products. I would value both opinions as you both seem very knowledgeable.

ooo, spookeh!
I was looking at Dr Belter only a week or so ago. I checked out their website and am afraid to say that all the spelling errors, mixed up fonts, the generic email address smack of a very amateur outfit. Still, I'll wait and see what the samples are like and report back!

Latest posts

Back