What has been your best buy/worst buy this year?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
The title says it all!!

Have you purchased something costly and it didn't work out?

Bought that retail display and forked out hundreds.. only to be wiping dust off it?

Spent alot on products that you haven't used?

OR

Have you bought something that has flown off the shelves?

Added a treatment that clients can't get enough of?

Personal stories interesting too... bought something ridiculously expensive for it to break? Etc...

i haven't really spent a lot of money on things i don't use
but i did buy a paraffin wax heater when i started the Mani course , only used it once !!! :irked:
its been sat in the cupboard ever since !
and spent loads on nail art things and nail enamel i never use ,

none nail related though , this year i have had my Hoover break , 2 washing machines , a drier ,a PC and my microwave and my car numerous times :irked: probably more too that i cant think of

I tend to think anything people including me have bought and don't use however cheap is classed as expensive just for the fact that we have never used it or used only once so will never recoup the money, does any of that make any sense or or just in my mixed up world.

Anyhow, I've bought loads of stuff in the past that sits in the back including products, nail art stuff, fancy tools and the biggest load of crap a nail polish holder that hever holds the polish bottle, never used it.

I have since learned my lesson and don't buy what I don't need.

i am a terrible worry wart about buying anything, it takes me 3 weeks of searching every shop online and off to compare prices and wont spend a penny more than i have too (comes from struggling badly first 3 years after we were married)

i wont buy somehting i like til ive checked i cant get it cheaper else were, drives my hubby mad, he's not a spendthrift or anything but he will sometimes buy something just because he likes it

so needless to say most of my purchases (clothes , electrical, furniture) tend to be be baragins dont usually cause me any problems

saying that (although not technically this year) my biggest mistake ever was purchasing that 4 day nail course in nov, it was the biggest waste or money ive ever spent and i think it will haunt me forever lol, that i for the first time in my life didnt research properly, (have learnt my lesson) so form now on its back to boring old careful me lolol

saying that bought new car last week of jan, when we took the protective paper mats up drivers mat was all stained, noticed small scratch on windscreen, then parking brake started playing up, booked in to have it checked and mat cleaned, when i went to pick it up (on my birthday i may add) huge crack right across windscreen and they were gonna let me drive away in it, luckily i noticed before i got off the lot, so its had to go back in next day for new screen, they finally replaced the matts, now windscreen has started vibrating and buzzing like mad when driving so its got to go back in next week to be sorted grrrrr, this could be the worst thing ive bought this year, should have stuck to my old gas guzzling jeep,

good thread:lol:
nicky xxx

The title says it all!!

Bought that retail display and forked out hundreds.. only to be wiping dust off it?
Funny you should say this, something that attracts me to polishes is "white lids" i think suppliers should think hard about this (dust doesn't show up on white lids) but stands out on black ones, i'd like to have a choice. I wish suppliers would smarten up to this and give me an option, it could mean the difference between me buying their polishes or someone elses. (and it doesn't cost them anymore), the lids should aslo be glossy (not matte) as dust adheres to matte, but dusts off gloss......
Food for thought ............................................. is anyone listening ?

My worst purchase has got to be my pedicure stool, it has a thing that you rest the clients foot on it, and then a stool for you to sit on. I only spent about £25 on it, but I hate it, when I open the salon I am going to get like a leather footstool cube from Woolworths, much lower so I will more in control.

My best buy, well I didnt buy it, my hubby got it for me for Christmas, was a mega paraffin wax heater, ooooooooooooo its fab, everyone of my clients has had a paraffin wax treatment as an add on, and they love it!!

I have bought loads of stuff then regretted it !

Worst buy has to be retail items I am forever buying stuff that never sells. Have got loads of Australian Bodycare products that are just sat on the shelves :irked: To be fair I didn't order it to retail but you have to buy certain products in packs so didn't have much choice.

My partner brought me a digital nail printer about 6 months ago.

I can't say we regret it as much as I regret it hasn't been used to its' full potential. I even got the promotional leaflets and foot/toe adapter too.

It cost over £1500. I'm am getting rid of it I think! It's a shame but pennies are tight and I have an airbrushing course to complete, so this will keep me busy.:lol:

Teri x:hug:

My worst purchase has got to be my pedicure stool, it has a thing that you rest the clients foot on it, and then a stool for you to sit on. I only spent about £25 on it, but I hate it, when I open the salon I am going to get like a leather footstool cube from Woolworths, much lower so I will more in control.

My best buy, well I didnt buy it, my hubby got it for me for Christmas, was a mega paraffin wax heater, ooooooooooooo its fab, everyone of my clients has had a paraffin wax treatment as an add on, and they love it!!

Now my pedicure stool has got to be one item that has really helped me this year. So much better than trying to sit on the floor or another chair.

Oooo ooo ooo - also my minimist has been fab too, wouldn't be without that and has paid for itself a couple of times over.

The one purchase I did make that (a) I don't like using (too fiddly) and (b) nobody ever asks for is my spa pedicure products. Also bought raw earth kit and don't like the smell.

My worst buy was eyelash extensions. I paid £200.00 to go on the training course and another £200.00 for the kit (which I had to buy at the same time). I find it so fiddly and really disliked looking through a magnifyng mirror for 2 hours plus that I decided not to do it. I now have a brand new kit sitting here gathering dust!

Nikki

I dunno maybe its just me then that doesnt get on with a pedicure stool.?. I am going to try harder to get used to it, but I cant see it happening tbh!! I just find it fiddly!! lol

Now my pedicure stool has got to be one item that has really helped me this year. So much better than trying to sit on the floor or another chair.

Oooo ooo ooo - also my minimist has been fab too, wouldn't be without that and has paid for itself a couple of times over.

The one purchase I did make that (a) I don't like using (too fiddly) and (b) nobody ever asks for is my spa pedicure products. Also bought raw earth kit and don't like the smell.

Strange how we all differ so much isn't it?
I too have the pedi stool and really love it, as do my clients. All my pedi clients have the Spa pedicure, they all love the products and although a bit messy to use the client feels really pampered.

My worst buy ever has to be the facial course, paid £375 on it and and never had one enquiry!!!! And to add insult to injury I've invested another £200 on Moor spa products to go with it!
The only time I've used was on the 2 pamper parties but what was i thinking???!!!
The best one's gotta to be the waxing course, it's so popular and I do myself as well -a bit of twisting but managing it allright.
I am really dying to go on a threading course, it's only £90 and i know there is nobody offering it in Bristol.
This is an interesting thread!

Latest posts

Back